The economy and the carpet cleaner

Scott

A recession is the great business equalizer. Those businesses which aren't competitive will be thinned from the herd. The good news: yes, dirt will still accumulate and there will still be people who refuse to live with dirty carpet.

These people we call customers are just like you and I. They are wondering about their job, pensions and 401K's. Their dollar doesn't go as far as it used to either. Their household incomes are generally down. They are looking for value now more than ever.

The companies that give them this value at a price that they perceive as "in the budget" will survive and ultimately thrive because the herd will be thinned when things turn around.

In business, esp. in times like this, there can be no sacred cows. Nothing we purchase or sell, none of our systems or processes, and none of our people are above a healthy and serious review. Our pricing strategies must be challenged and tested as well.

Our value has to grow while our costs, esp. fixed, must be scrutinized. Our insurance polices and rents need to be reviewed and possibly renegotiated. Our loans should be looked at closely and possibly consolidated and locked in now while money is cheap. Short term expansion should be double-checked to ensure growth will still be possible in 6-12 months if the economic troubles deepen.

This must be done or the company is likely going to pay a hefty price.

You might ask how I know this.

I don't mean to come off as a scare monger, just a guy with an optimistic outlook whose local economy has been in a recession for 6 years. Michigan has been in the top 5 states of highest unemployment nationwide for years now. Our state population has dwindled as manufacturing jobs have dried up. With a governor who doesn't know business if it hit her in the head, the MI budget has swollen while the state coffers have diminished. Of course instead of cutting taxes to encourage business, they punish us by increasing them.

Our state went from some of the highest land values in the Midwest during the 90s to some of the lowest in the US in under a decade.

To put things into perspective Realcomp, a Michigan property valuation company, recently released December 2008's avg home costs around the state.

Detroit's average home cost as of Dec 2008 was....are you ready....

Seven Thousand Five Hundred Dollars

I had to type it out in words because looking at the number $7,500 is just unfathomable to me.

My own property lost $33,000 in value last year alone, following a $22,000 decrease in value in 2007. $55,000 in lost value in 2 years is a lot for a property that was valued at $350k in 2006. If I lived in the city my property value would have decreased even more.

That's how I know - and how we in MI know. The problem is very real and it's spreading.

But that doesn't mean there isn't hope. It just means that we can and should only focus on the things we can change.

President Obama talks about "change", but talk is cheap. You and I - we business owners - we'll be the ones who will enact this "change", not just talk about it. We must in order to survive and thrive.

In January, John Braun interviewed me regarding "surviving and ultimately thriving in a down economy". I've published it in my blog and created a huge mind map of action to take. It is free, although if I were to place a value on it it should go for at least $50-$75. There is some excellent and timely info in it, if I do say so myself.

It's extremely important that you read this, think about this, and ultimately take action. This is not the time to sit by the phone and wait for things to happen. Now is the time to do, not pontificate.

In order to avoid shameless self-promotion, please check my profile if you'd like to get the mindmap and audio teleseminar. It is not for sale although you may have it for free. The only thing I ask in return is a valid and respectful comment on my blog, please - even if you disagree.

Thanks

Name
Kevin McCreary
Yes sir Michigan is tough! My house lost lost 63k in the past two years, despite the fact that I have improved it. I got an sev

adjustment in the mail the other day and the value dropped another 12k but the taxes went up! How does that work?

I think that those who are established in this business are in the right business during an economic crunch. My father

started this business in 1968 and has told me every time he expanded in the past 30 years was during a recession. He was

watching the news the other day and they talked about the crunch we had in 1981 and 82 with the economy, he said he

didn't even notice it. He cleaned right through it an installed a 20,000 dollar pool in his backyard that year. My numbers are

staying stable so far, all I do is residential and I'm seeing people come out of the woodwork we haven't cleaned for in years

trying to make their carpets last longer. However Scott you are in the heart of of what once was the fastest growing

counties in the US to possibly one of the fastest shrinking counties in the US. In Lansing we Still have the state gov. and

MSU. I think every one that cleans carpets should be optimistic. People are forced to stay at home more, can't borrow

money for new floors and don't want to replace right now. So I'm sure we will see some dirtier carpets!

I will check out your blog!!! Thanks!!!!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
My home has dropped about $150-200,000 in the last 3 years.

I see this as a perfect oppurtunity to take advantage of the companies that are not slick enough not to be able to make changes on the move.

I am currently trying to get legislation passed in my state to require that any foreclosed property needs to be maintained and properly managed to not reduce the values of itself and the homes around it. I am trying to get deals with the banks and mortgage companies to do weekly walk-throughs and set up cleanings to hold the value of what could possibly be our assets through bailouts. I am teaming with other businesses in the area to handle all aspects of this. Iwould be all over this if I were in Michigan or California or Fla

Jay D

Name
Jay D
My take on home devaluation. In 1990 I purchased a 1700 sq ft home in Newman, Ca (close to modesto) for $143,000. August 2005 I sold it at the height of the OVERINFLATED Market for $379,000. It was foreclosed on recently and sold at auction for $170,000. I can't control very many things other than what I due and implementation has been my one challenge. Now I have no choice. Implementation and action is what will make you keep your business going thru these times. Stay positive in tough times. People need to hear that something is going right.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
There is going to be a rash of Nick-o-claws out there before you know it..........

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
And up here in Victoria the ave house is still over $300,000, possibly even $400,000.
The USA's dollar is in the toilet and I still have to pay $30CDN extra for every $100US I spend.
Economists, or whoever figure this stuff out, are a screwy bunch!!

Back
Top Bottom