The experience in Texas

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No way, glad to have you.

The best part is you can speak your mind here. I know you'll like that! :p

Seriously, you are very welcome here! Mike has more traffic, more interaction. Some of the same characters, some new ones but you'll fit right in! :icon_cool:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I agree 100% Mike. Sadly it the same old same old. Attendees spends roughly a thousand buck to come to the seminars and classes ONLY to discover that they are sales pitches. It's just like the days of old with the IICRC classes being forced sales pitches. There were 3 different approaches to mold remediation shown. ALL separately- all with the purpose of selling that equipment or chemical! A better format would be demonstrating ALL 3 at the same time with a panel of Hygenists and experts in the room for the attendees to ask questions about the processes and make informed decisions.
It's fine to sell your product or service but do it on the trade show floor. Make the classes we are paying for be unbiased!

Some big changes are going to have to happen, that's for sure.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
It was my first time at the "spring" event. Last time I did one of these was in Vegas, 7 years ago and it was very different from that. I was there in two capacities, helping out one of the vendors as I am a participant in that marketing program, and as owner of a cleaning company. I have to admit I was surprised at the (lack of) attendance. It seemed like it was a 1:1 ratio of vendor folks and attendees. I did hear quite a bit of feedback that the sessions were 90 min. sales pitches. That is expected at these types of events to a certain extent, but weave in some useful tips/content while your at it. Overall, not a lot of enthusiasm and excitement. No energy of excitement. Switching up the sessions on the first day and not really having anyone to direct people was confusing for many. I heard lots of griping about that.

A lot of money to be spent to attend.... Venue was nice, but had to take a cab or shuttle to get anywhere for offsite activities. I did hear that from repeat attendees...they missed being able to walk out hotel and be on beach or walk to local food, shopping and entertainment. I know I would have preferred to be on the beach!

All things considered, we weren't there for the atmosphere. And I will say I met a lot of great people and came home with many ideas and inspirations that will benefit my business....from the people I met there. And that is the whole point in going to these events. And I did also did come away with some useful info from the sessions I attended.

I think they got the message and changes are coming...I heard that there will be a contest with $$ tied to the best presentation at future events (based on a panel of judges). Perhaps that will draw more presenters and better content?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its unfortunate but venue really drive attendance. Texas has other locations with more to offer than Frisco. It's hard to please everyone one but once the day is over people want to spend some time out on the town or bars, clubs socializing.

Reactions: J Scott W

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I did hear quite a bit of feedback that the sessions were 90 min. sales pitches. That is expected at these types of events to a certain extent, but weave in some useful tips/content while your at it.
Sadly, this has become the expectation for carpet cleaner's events due to the management of Connections/Experience making it the norm. Selling from the podium is actually prohibited at most events that you pay to attend, unless in the trade show venue. Talk about your goods and services while presenting at an RIA event? You'll forgo your presenter's fees and be barred from working with them again.

I think they got the message and changes are coming...I heard that there will be a contest with $$ tied to the best presentation at future events (based on a panel of judges). Perhaps that will draw more presenters and better content?
Selling from the podium has been a complaint for almost ten years, from Connections to the Experience, and a continuous dwindling of attendance has always been answered with promises to change the format. The answer to complaints about the same old sales-pitch program at the final Connections? Free beer.

The answer for the next event is to have the salesmen vie for a prize.

Mikey P

Administrator
The trade show circuit, motivational speakers hand to go.

One was so bad he had to read from crib notes for the entire hour.

I hate to say it but Howard was just as bad. An hour and a half of look at me and my accomplishments and oh, don't forget to write down your goals.

Cobb, Shawn B and the rug fags were the hit of the show.

Tom King, Joe Appleby, Saiger or Chavez singlehandedly could have given the attendees their $450s worth.

I plan on bringing some of MF to the next show.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Selling from the podium has been a complaint for almost ten years, from Connections to the Experience, and a continuous dwindling of attendance has always been answered with promises to change the format. The answer to complaints about the same old sales-pitch program at the final Connections? Free beer.

The answer for the next event is to have the salesmen vie for a prize.
Its a tired format.The only thing that's kept it on life support this long has been location. Vegas for the gamblers and Florida for the second event.

You had as many attendees at MF10 and that's a grassroots (not talking about Bawb) event. I think everyone is tired of paying to be sold or teased and only asked to pay more for the real info or to buy the equipment.

I can't seeing getting better without the aid of location (Vegas), to draw those that go for a secondary reason.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Vegas profit was used to cover Florida losses. It was a financial dog before Connections took it over from the ISCT.

Although Vegas might seem to be an answer for The Experience, they'll have to compete for vendors with the very successful RIA show, the surprisingly successful ICE show, and the IICRCA show that's in the planning stages. All being held in Vegas.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ouch. Rough water ahead, especially in the current format.

RIA has always given you first class speakers, not from within the industry but from each individual discipline. Plenty of value but restoration oriented.

I can't speak about ICE since I don't know first hand but heard second hand in wasn't much bigger than MF. If so it still isn't bad for a first time event.

IICRCA? Who the hell are those guys? :winky:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Remember that movie with Chevy Chase Three Amigos. There you have it.
IMG_197727323406363_zpsb9cb5a3a.jpg

Rockstars..

Bjorn

there was that one thing missing that dude from ics who thought he owned the place

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
So in my "previous life" before entering the wonderful world of carpet cleaning, I was a corporate trainer for an early childhood (daycare) company. I was required to submit and present and various association conferences both regionally and nationally because it gave us recognition showed a presence of our company as an industry leader. What seems different from this circuit (and excuse my ignorance if anything I'm saying is incorrect), is that appeared that most of the speakers were the sponsors/vendors. I come from an industry where you must submit a proposal to be selected to present. Then, compensated for doing so, either waived registration fees or a per diem for each session presented or in some cases hotel and travel. People wanted to present for these reasons, but also because it looked great on the resume. Seems to me like it might be the way to go. I can think of many topics which would be so relevant to this industry that owners/employees could use that aren't just technical or the latest greatest products. Keep in mind, I'm new to all this and I KNOW there are a lot of politics behind all this, which is why I tend to stay away from the boards, but these events are so successful in other industries, I don't understand why that type of format isn't followed.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Lee I would do both also. I would bring my whole team to Nashville.

I think the Midwest would be a boost for the Experience. Nashville, St Louis Indianapolis all have great sights, are solid convention towns and would allow the majority of the country to be within a 10 hour drive.

What would being near the majority of the population do for attendance? Most small companies are family businesses'. How many would turn a Midwest event into a family vacation? I could never imagine taking my family to Vegas.

If you did not have to fly take that money and turn it into hotel rooms and meals for the family could be a great weekend.

What would women want to hear about? Those that run the office take the calls and handle the finances. Lots of ladies are that side of the partnership for small carpet cleaning companies like ours.
Just my thoughts

Mikeyfest has done well east or west. If he did Aptos in February and Nashville in the fall I'd certainly attend both.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I did attend a couple of sessions that were informative @ the experience.

Robert Mann's rug seminar was literally absorbed by the attendees.

I also thought the Doyle Bloss seminar on Determining the Potential of Your Marketplace for cleaning, restoration and Tile & Grout cleaning would help many cleaners to expand their operation . . .

and plan for the equipment that would be required.

I didn't get to attend the Jeff Cross seminar on Internet Marketing,

but I heard several good reports on the content.

The Restoration Team of Experts moderated by Chuck Boutal that included Frank Van Zant, Bruce DeLoatch, Jerry Blaylock, and Rachel Adams had lots of expertise to offer.

Larry

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
What would women want to hear about? Those that run the office take the calls and handle the finances. Lots of ladies are that side of the partnership for small carpet cleaning companies like ours.
Just my thoughts

You are right on. I had this exact discussion with Bill Yeadon the day I arrived. Even before any sessions happened and I told him this was something I'd be very interested in doing. He approached me later in the show and encouraged me to pursue this. There are so many women/ husband wife teams that could both share and benefit from topics on this subject. bring it on!

Name
Lee Stockwell
My wife, Theresa, was asked to give a talk at a Bane Clene convention about balancing family and office. She enjoyed it and we got lots of good feedback. About 300 people, 1980's, maybe Bill Yeadon remembers...

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Meg, I think I'm calling dibs on you for Mikey's Fest 2015.

John Mapes has no idea what he's done by bring me along this year!

Better start wooing me now. I only have so much time I can spend away from the business, my kids (7 &5) and my business partner/hubby. I already have another round of SFS penciled in and Mr Mapes has requested I attend again on his behalf in Vegas. This could get interesting.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
My wife, Theresa, was asked to give a talk at a Bane Clene convention about balancing family and office. She enjoyed it and we got lots of good feedback. About 300 people, 1980's, maybe Bill Yeadon remembers...

Sure do Lee. Time to bring Theresa out of retirement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom