The Experience of the century..

Mikey P

Administrator
Without a doubt the Big Show was a huge improvement over recent years. Most, if not all, vendors were saying it was the best and busiest show they've ever been part of. Big crowds on all three days, lots of spending, lots to do and see. The outside vendors were especially thrilled. (Prochem, Sapphire, Masterblend, Hydramaster, Aerotech). They were completely blown away by the amount of action, heat and all.
Last official number I heard was 2300ish over the 3 days.

IMO four factors took place that enticed people to attend.
  1. New exciting location
  2. Lower price
  3. No motivational/circuit speakers
  4. Mikey's Fest/Raffle.

If the Mirage doesn't continue to nickle and dime Larry Cooper over silly charges ($1600 to hook up a garden hose) than I'd expect the event to be there again next year. The event staff from the (former) LVH came by and did there best to coerce Larry to reconsider coming back but it would be a huge step backwards in my opinion when all Larry should be concerned with is how to to improve on this year's event, which wont be easy.

The price was more than fare and could even stand to be a tad more for the value you get.

Lots of (flaky) MB'rs were in attendance and I would love to hear their thoughts...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason del Norte

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just got home......

No doubt one of the best shows ever.............I spent some time and talked to a lot of vendors and they were all telling me that were all happy about the turn out of people......
and how the show went.......great seeing and talking with a lot of them again.......It was hot...( even by my standards ).......but everyone was still out side getting involved with most of what was going on......the bar was set pretty high for there next show.......

and a big congradulations to Adam and Olson......both well deserved..........

Last edited:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Without a doubt the Big Show was a huge improvement over recent years. Most, if not all, vendors were saying it was the best and busiest show they've ever been part of. Big crowds on all three days, lots of spending, lots to do and see. The outside vendors were especially thrilled. (Prochem, Sapphire, Masterblend, Hydramaster, Aerotech). They were completely blown away by the amount of action, heat and all.

IMO four factors took place that enticed people to attend.
  1. New exciting location
  2. Lower price
  3. No motivational/circuit speakers
  4. Mikey's Fest/Raffle.

If the Mirage doesn't continue to nickle and dime Larry Cooper over silly charges ($1600 to hook up a garden hose) than I'd expect the event to be there again next year. The event staff from (former) LVH came by and did there best to coerce Larry to reconsider coming back but it would be a huge step backwards in my opinion when all Larry should be concerned with is how to to improve on this year's event, which wont be easy.

The price was more than fare and could even stand to be a tad more for the value you get.

Lots of (flaky) MB'rs were in attendance and I would love to hear their thoughts...

Mikey, I agree that it was the best show. It's funny someone emailed me for my thoughts and my list was almost identical to yours. great minds.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey P

Administrator
I didn't get to sit in on many classes unfortunately but other than the few snide comments on being sold to by the two gurus, all comments heard were very positive.

Would you concur Mr Yeadon?

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
In my humble opinion, the best so far. The Mirage was definitely way better than the Hilton dump. One of the high lights was seeing the right people win some fantastic prizes. Jimbo (wand), Amy Lawrence (Hoss 700), Jim Martin (just about everything ), Adam Hale (best speaker, 2500 big ones) ,Dan Laurie (Service Monster credit) and myself (Rapid Seal). Poor Martin Bressel didn't win crap, broke his winning streak, haha. Poor Sam Miller got punked. John Olsen and his wife Laura won the Humanitarian Award, well deserved. We all appreciated the free beer and condiments. I hope it gets duplicated next year.

Mikey P

Administrator
We had a Rotary Rodeo challenge going outside over the three days. Contestants would win 20 tickets if they could go out and back between the cones with out touching the cones with the cord, the machine or their bodies. 100 tickets went to the person who did it the fastest. It took until the last 20 minutes of the show for an unknown attendee to get it down to just 20 seconds. I think it would have been faster if we had been able to use a standard 175 machine but the one we had there had some motor issues so we had to use a RX20 with the tile head instead

here are two variations of attempts..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50pIDtPoBXs&list=UUGl4oOuCGURMINuh5ot3sxw&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZa1XvKWrU&index=1&list=UUGl4oOuCGURMINuh5ot3sxw

Reactions: hogjowl
Name
Robert Falzone
Totally agree with your comments...

Because I live in Las Vegas I've had the chance to go to every Las Vegas show every day since the beginning. There was a lot of action in the demo area, the aisles were full and as I walked around I saw that almost every vendor was talking to somebody at their booths. In years past there would be whole 'dead' sections where all you'd see are some vendors just hanging and talking to each other. I think the Mikey's Board participation in the back was good because it brought cohesion to the demo area. Mikey's was the link between all the vendors instead of just having several separate vendor areas. The back needed a ringmaster and the tall goofy Vegan did good job. Suggestions for next year... Let's have a contest to crown the King and Queen of The Experience just like we'd do at a homecoming dance. Or how about a skills contest, or even a beauty pageant? (Suggestions are tongue in cheek... but a Mikey's Board beauty contest would be hilarious...)

Looking forward to how Larry and his team build on this success for next year!

Able 1

Name
Keith
Great, now his custom made helmet won't even fit..

Last edited:
Name
Damon
This was my third Experience. Without a doubt there were more people in attendance then previous years. This was most noticeable outside. People everywhere. Non-stop demos and reps engaging prospects left and right. There was a gaggle of us surrounding and fondling the Zippers, it almost felt like we should have been throwing dollar bills at them.

There was a booth inside selling coffee and tea and yet another selling 'power bracelets' - yet not a VLM centric vendor to be found. I find this odd. Janitorial and window cleaning vendors should toss their hats in as well.

That aside, it was a sold trade show floor and I'm glad I attended.

Mikey P

Administrator
Good point on the VLM offerings

Would have been a good year for Rick to be there. Running a Cimex over some of the demo carpets would hasn't been interesting

Jimbo

It was a very nice event...I just did the trade show...cool seeing many of the newest tools our industry is offering...

3 Highlights really stood out to me...

1. I wish I had a video of Jim Martin's face when his Princess Daughter Katie was up on the stage explaining their grout Line Sealer applicator to an audience of Hundreds of carpet cleaners...He was a Very Proud Papa...and rightfully so...Really Good Kids don't just "happen"...Hats Off to the Martin Family!

2.Meeting Mrs Hale..truly Adam's better half...I'm very happy for you Adam...good things really do happen!

3. The Raffle was..... Electric! And really great to help a benevolent animal rescue group...so even folks who dropped a boatload of money on tickets...and won little or nothing...(I might have been sitting with a few of them!!)...can still Feel Really Good about their investment helping a bunch of four-legged friends! Thanks Mike! Jim

Name
BradFenstermaker
First trade show I have attended. I thought it was Huge.

Not having a local distributor, it was really nice to get hands on things I have only read about.

Just like the Mikeyfests the Demo area is always fun. Dreamland for a new TM someday

Great to meet friends Face to Face as well.

Thanks for those who made it happen

Reactions: Mikey P

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Miss Rick not being there. Didn't have as much time this year but did visit most vendors and found a good source for shut off solution hose valves for a 1/4 of what we pay for the ones that don't last.

I know you thanked all the vendors but I hope people told you thanks for all your work

Thanks Mike

I thought the location was great. The mirage was so much better for the outdoor demos. Had a blast with the rotary rodeo , especially getting doused with water by Jim martin.

I really wish that cleanco and butler would have there direct drives set up outside to demo.

Its great to here that the pet rescue did so well. This was a great great idea for a fundraiser.
I love going to Vegas but would rather see mikeyfest back in Santa Cruz!
thanks Taf and the magic wand people for a great dinner on Thursday.
And thanks mike p. and everyone else that work so hard to put on the experience.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Like Mikey said, "it's not like anyone of us in attendance hasn't made a few bucks off of dogs and cats", this was an excellent cause to donate to. Thank-you, everyone that donated prizes, time or money for benefit of our four legged friends. And Katie Martin should get special mention for one of the better sales pitches that I had during the trade show. Take that young lady out for her favorite dining experience Jim!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Wildly exaggerating attendance figures insinuates that attendees and vendors are too stupid to know any better. You used to laugh at those "official numbers."

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I didn't get to sit in on many classes unfortunately but other than the few snide comments on being sold to by the two gurus, all comments heard were very positive.

Would you concur Mr Yeadon?

Yes I did not attend many myself but I certainly enjoyed the speech contest. Love to see that expanded next year.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Like Mikey said, "it's not like anyone of us in attendance hasn't made a few bucks off of dogs and cats", this was an excellent cause to donate to. Thank-you, everyone that donated prizes, time or money for benefit of our four legged friends. And Katie Martin should get special mention for one of the better sales pitches that I had during the trade show. Take that young lady out for her favorite dining experience Jim!

Thank You....I took her to 2 of her favorite spots yesterday.........Taco Bell and build a beer......she earned every penny of it....

Reactions: Dan and Mark Saiger

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Wildly exaggerating attendance figures insinuates that attendees and vendors are too stupid to know any better. You used to laugh at those "official numbers."

The show was so busy you had to wait to talk to most venders, in the six shows I have attended since 2008 this one easily had double the attendance and more importantly the attendance was consistent throughout the three days.

The only constructive critiscm I would give is, that one of the event staff guys( older grumpy man on Segway) was not very helpful at all didn't have clear direction or general clue on set up or operation, while having a " I know everything and it is going to go the way I say it will go because that is what I say" attitude and many complained a lot about him and the way he was attempting to run the tasks he was assign to operate or manage.

It was a big hit all the way around and I would love to see an iicrc show and see if we could partner up and make it a success like this show obviously was.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Now I'm even more disappointed that I didn't make it. The feedback is outstanding. I'm marking it on my calendar now for next year so there is nothing that can come in between me and Vegas/Connections!

Name
Anthony Hernandez
I was so glad to be able to attend. It was great seeing Mikey, Larry Cobb & Clark Lancaster. The whole experience was awesome. The $150 to attend all classes & pool party was well worth it. And the right price for what you get. Jeff cross really pushed a great marketing campaign all on today's social media networks. Jessica at the commercial carpet class was really knowledgable and passionate. I'm pretty shy and was awe struck of Mikey. But he's a hell of a guy with a big heart. And really cares about this industry. And is a great ring leader. I met so many passionate cleaners at the show. And was even invited to an after party by Anthony Edelman. Who had a huge penthouse suite. And all we did was speak cleaning lol. Even in Vegas. All in all it was a great experience. And am looking forward to attending the ice show in January. I know it different but will try it anyway

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom