The HydraMaster CDS 4.6 & 4.8 Truckmounts are Fuel Misers and Wallet Friendly

Chris A

Name
Chris
I think that's one of the early overdrive units, I'd find one that's been used MORE but taken care of, miles/hours definitely don't tell the whole story.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi:

Please notice that the shaft is direct (no pullys) hence it is NOT overdriven, it is 1-1 ratio. Meaning in order to get 2400 RPM on the blower the engine must turn 2400 RPM. Not only is that bad on gas, but bad on engine wear.

Thx,
Dale.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Dale,
I'd love to see the pictures.
My CDS is in a regular Ford Econoline 250. And with all the equipment I do not have much space left. Though the small footprint of the CDS allows me to have what I need. If I am not mistaken, their design is the best, as far as the footprint and space available.

I know that the 1200 certainly isn't.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Hi:

Please notice that the shaft is direct (no pullys) hence it is NOT overdriven, it is 1-1 ratio. Meaning in order to get 2400 RPM on the blower the engine must turn 2400 RPM. Not only is that bad on gas, but bad on engine wear.

Thx,
Dale.

Ah, you got me there. I thought all the 4.8s were overdriven. I had a 98 4.7 and can attest to the gas hoggyness and wear and tear on the truck.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dale,
I'd love to see the pictures.
My CDS is in a regular Ford Econoline 250. And with all the equipment I do not have much space left. Though the small footprint of the CDS allows me to have what I need. If I am not mistaken, their design is the best, as far as the footprint and space available.

I know that the 1200 certainly isn't.
Ofer you need a Butler in a box, plenty of space and 210 waste and fresh.

Van don't work well for today's modern carpet cleaner. You just need so much space to haul your equipment and pickup rugs when needed.

IMG_20110824_150927.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ofer you need a Butler in a box, plenty of space and 210 waste and fresh.

Van don't work well for today's modern carpet cleaner. You just need so much space to haul your equipment and pickup rugs when needed

Oy, Richard,
Please come and walk a mile in my shoes.
I work in San Francisco.
Yes, indeed, the lovely city by the bay. You know the one. It's where Tony Bennett left his heart :winky:

We don't need a gazillion gallons waste tank. We hook to the sewer outlet after every job.

And I don't need a fresh water tank, last 25 years I always managed to find a faucet. Yes, it is incredibly difficult and complicated, but so far so good.

And a boxed truck will be a nightmare to street park, and or park in garages, as we sometime have to do, and or drive around. It ain't the prairies buddy, where you have parking space as far as the eye can see. And then some.

Modern Carpet cleaner!

Give me a break Prairie Sultan :icon_razz:

Last edited:

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hey Joe:

I'm sorry, yes the 4.8's (not 4.7's) are overdriven. It has been several years since I've rebuilt one of them and on the "overdriven units, I forgot that the pullys are on the backside of where the pictures shows. Look behind the blower: Is there a small blower pulley and large drive one? If so it is overdriven, and please disregard the above-which applies to the pre-overdriven units.

Ofer:

My son Abe's Prochem has the pump down and he is using the above-mentioned van unitl I get it fixed for him. I will post as soon as I get it back.

Sincerely,
Dale

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Oy, Richard,
Please come and walk a mile in my shoes.
I work in San Francisco.
Yes, indeed, the lovely city by the bay. You know the one. It's where Tony Bennett left his heart :winky:

We don't need a gazillion gallons waste tank. We hook to the sewer outlet after every job.

And I don't need a fresh water tank, last 25 years I always managed to find a faucet. Yes, it is incredibly difficult and complicated, but so far so good.

And a boxed truck will be a nightmare to street park, and or park in garages, as we sometime have to do, and or drive around. It ain't the prairies buddy, where you have parking space as far as the eye can see. And then some.

Modern Carpet cleaner!

Give me a break Prairie Sultan :icon_razz:
Ofer....its time to move back to the Prairie...SF that's no living, that's exisiting! Back where the deer and antelope play...no hippies dippies or the shadow of Alcatraz! ; )

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Hi guys:

I don’t understand Hydramasters point. Butler, & Cleanco also have been using electronic speed controls for years (vs. vacuum pull offs). In fact they are NOT even mounting them on the vans, GM did that for them about 2003 (except for the switch). So they are just saving money by using them. However, I'm not so sure I don't like the vacuums better, because they start more gradual.

But that’s not what save gas-the newer style motors, and pulley ratios are. And I have switched pulleys on Butlers to save even more gas.

Yes Hydramaster (and Cleanco) have excellant shape designs, but personally I like Butler best because they are lifetime S.S. not prone to rot aluminum. And they are "unchanged" design. In fact I am in the process of replacing 2 of them in low mileage vans for sale right now. We rebuild all of the moving parts- and presto it's like a whole new unit.

Sincerely,
Dale

If you want a design that has not changed maybe you should look at the Bane unit. They still come in the original blue. LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom