The most powerful portable available?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I did a VLM job one city over yesterday. It was in a section of the city I’m rarely in (downtown core).
I was surprised to see 9 new condo buildings at various degrees of completion.
All I could think was....
I need a porty.....
I bitch a lot about portables. But my EDIC is a life saver at times

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
No thanks. Portys depress me

Its not too bad once you get a system down.
The other day I had a $312 job that took 90 minutes.
I added our $100 portable fee to that amount. The customer Tipped me an additional $85! :biggrin:

I'm thinking of marketing a Green, Reduced carbon emissions cleaning service that uses a porty/ETM.
It would also overcome the parking requirement we place on our customers.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
TheEDIC 500psi has 2- 3 stage vacs. Mine does works great just wont go up stairs due to the weight & low profile handle in rear.

I think the Monsoon design would be hard to get up stairs as well. I prefer taller over longer shell designs.
Most employees hate working with a porty-- That's why we charge a $100 fee, but we started at $50.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
TheEDIC 500psi has 2- 3 stage vacs. Mine does works great just wont go up stairs due to the weight & low profile handle in rear.
Most portables have molded in handles that make it awkward to go up stairs. It would be nice if they brought back the old folding handles that EDIC used to use on their aquafresh machines.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I’m really considering getting this portable. We turn down between 6-10 jobs a week because we don’t do porty work....
It’s not that I’m turning into @Old Coastie, it’s the fact that I’m losing out on a bunch of $$$$$.....
Sorry Stephen, no insult intended....
None taken. As little as I do and as limited as my movements are, a porty is sufficient.
You should not lose out on that much work.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Don't tell John Sales that.
I have 2 buildings coming up in March that I will encap. $4500 job that will take 20 hours all told. You can't do it a truck mount because there is no continuous stairwell will a door leading outside to a parking area. 32 story buildings. We have many buildings like this in Vancouver. The other thing, even if you could, it would not be practical or cost effective to set up a truck mount just to do a suite on the 32nd floor. Most of these buildings will not let you keep a door open to admit your hoses. You have a choice, book only truck mount work only, or buy a portable to accommodate your customers.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Why would need 150 ft? It's called a portable for a reason.
If i dont feel like dragging it up stairs. Or it cant safely be dragged up stairs.
I have a porty client that is worried that the porty will damage her wood stairs, so we have to carry it up the stairs. The problem is we dont have a "We". Our routes are single techs, not 2 guys.
But since this porty is lighter maybe it wont be an issue.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If i dont feel like dragging it up stairs. Or it cant safely be dragged up stairs.
I have a porty client that is worried that the porty will damage her wood stairs, so we have to carry it up the stairs. The problem is we dont have a "We". Our routes are single techs, not 2 guys.
But since this porty is lighter maybe it wont be an issue.
I find that having a truck mount and a porty, I don't usually have to drag a porty upstairs. All the buildings I use a porty in have elevators. A building without elevators I can clean with the truck mount. I do have some 2 story condo suites that I can usually reach with 75 feet or less. I have a portable that will run 150 feet easily but I have only used it a couple of times at that distance because it was too heavy to go down some stairs. An 87 lb portable shouldn't have that problem.

FredC

Village Idiot
I didnt think the psi would be affected.
friction loss

varies with flow/hose diameter

hose-friction-loss.jpg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Teflon glides??? For portables, make some teflon slides that fold down from the back of the porty to slide up the stairs so you don't have to roll it up each step. One major reason I rarely touch my cimex. It's almost impossible to roll up a staircase with water in it.

Mikey P

Administrator
Teflon glides??? For portables, make some teflon slides that fold down from the back of the porty to slide up the stairs so you don't have to roll it up each step. One major reason I rarely touch my cimex. It's almost impossible to roll up a staircase with water in it.
Let go of the sofa Homer...

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I have to chime in after reading some of the comments above (all good, and true...back in the day), but there ARE other options out there. Hope my hands (and mouth) aren't tied because after all, I do help to support this great board for you pro's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom