The poor man’s fake Vortex.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Here are some photos of my new rig (new to me). I have spent around $7,500.00 for what you see including the vinyl.

102_0737-1.jpg

102_0732.jpg

102_0733.jpg

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
I like the stripper pole :wink: Box trucks are the way to go if you want to carry it all and stand up in your truck. Congrats.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Mike,

Looks like you got it covered, and all for $7,500 so far!
2 Questions, what's the little blue tank for under the shelf? and is that a little role up door behind the TM?

Boy, I would have had to clean the tires before I took that picture.

I have never ran a steamway but have read lots of good things about them. Looks like you thought your setup through. What type of heat system does the steamway use?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Should have centered the TM it will keep your shocks and stuff from leaning to one side

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
BLewis said:
Hey Mike,

Looks like you got it covered, and all for $7,500 so far!
2 Questions, what's the little blue tank for under the shelf?

That’s Part of the pump that transfers water from the fresh water tank to the machine.

and is that a little role up door behind the TM?

Yes there is an Access door to the cab

Boy, I would have had to clean the tires before I took that picture.

I have never ran a steamway but have read lots of good things about them. Looks like you thought your setup through. What type of heat system does the steamway use?

280,000 BTU Kerosene Heater.
Greg Crowley said:
Should have centered the TM it will keep your shocks and stuff from leaning to one side

It’s hard to see but, there is a 125 Gal fresh water tank that sits opposite to the machine. In retrospect I do wish I had the weight centered over the rear axel.

Mikey P said:
you forgot to groom your walls.

I spent allot of extra time trying to insulate the walls. I installed 1” foarm under the plywood then the Shag carpet. This was my first attempt at dyeing wall to wall carpet. The dye only penetrated 1 1/4 “ down the 2 ½ shag. I might try again and apply the dye with a stair tool at a higher PSI.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looks good, you can see it from a block away!

The box is a good idea for hauling everything you need and repairs are much easier. The gas sucks but usually it out weights the positives of having the box.

Congrats!!!

Mikey P

Administrator
man, look at that electrolysis going on on your water box.

I had that unit for a few months.

I wouldn't wish that thing on Rob Allen.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Mikey P said:
man, look at that electrolysis going on on your water box.

Now I know what you think of me! :p

My guess is you couldn't stand the HEAT! :wink:

For those who don't know, I bought Mikey's Powermatic, electrolysis in the 7 year old water box included at no extra charge. :lol:

Name
Nate W.
Loren Egland said:
[quote="Mikey P":2sxtj7qs]man, look at that electrolysis going on on your water box.

For those who don't know, I bought Mikey's Powermatic, electrolysis in the 7 year old water box included at no extra charge. :lol:[/quote:2sxtj7qs]

Wow, and Mikey seems like a nice guy in person. What a Richard! Not you Chavez.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
do you have to climb in each time to start or do what ever on the machine???

thats the only down fall i see...

i likes my box for standing up in

Name
Nate W.
floorguy said:
do you have to climb in each time to start or do what ever on the machine???

thats the only down fall i see...

i likes my box for standing up in

You act like your tall or something...... :lol: I'd put a side door on that baby...

Mikey P

Administrator
Loren Egland said:
[quote="Mikey P":34pkq4et]man, look at that electrolysis going on on your water box.

For those who don't know, I bought Mikey's Powermatic, electrolysis in the 7 year old water box included at no extra charge. :lol:[/quote:34pkq4et]

too funny.

I don't get you guys who live and breath those damn things.

meAt talks about those friggen submarines kinder than he talks about his wife.

I don't get it, 8 miles of hose and wire, stanky heat, barnacles in the water box, needs a damn generator to work, fickle as can be pressure regulator system, small waste tank....good lord, so many better options out there.

Beauty really is in the eye of the true blew crew.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Would I buy a new Steamway? Probably not. That unit only has 1500 hours and I only paid $1550 for it. For the money it’s a hell of a machine. It has all the heat and suck I could ask for and I like it better than allot of the overly complicated or poorly engineered HE units out there.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Mikey P said:
[quote="Loren Egland":c7l41617][quote="Mikey P":c7l41617]man, look at that electrolysis going on on your water box.

For those who don't know, I bought Mikey's Powermatic, electrolysis in the 7 year old water box included at no extra charge. :lol:[/quote:c7l41617]

too funny.

I don't get you guys who live and breath those damn things.

meAt talks about those friggen submarines kinder than he talks about his wife.

I don't get it, 8 miles of hose and wire, stanky heat, barnacles in the water box, needs a damn generator to work, fickle as can be pressure regulator system, small waste tank....good lord, so many better options out there.

Beauty really is in the eye of the true blew crew.[/quote:c7l41617]

Maybe it has been too long since I enlightened Mikey's Board about the Powermatic's features that other machines don't have. Time savers and back up systems to keep you cleaning. I know I will forget many of them, but I will try my best to remember why I bought that old boat anchor from you. :p

Cleaning performance number one. The PM can keep up better than other truckmounts with higher heat combined with higher flow.

Big beautiful impressive looking machine. Just ask my customers, and my competitors. Helps with the dog and pony show to get more jobs at higher prices.

2.5 inch vacuum system that is not restricted to over worked to build heat like complicated heat exchanger units. Once a carpet has been flushed clean, you are only extracting clean water.

Fuel oil burner. Only fires when using water flow. Almost instant heat. Higher temperature solution cleans better (with less chems) and dries faster. Less explosive than propane or gasoline. More btu's in Kerosene. (can run diesel but that is not clean burning like Kero) Easy to fill burner fuel. No outside the van tanks needed. No waiting for propane man to fill for you. Less complicated than heat exchange technology.

Auxillary generator for running power wands, lights, fans, compressors, steam irons, etc. If generator fails, just plug into electricity to keep the burner firing. This is a back up system to keep you cleaning.

Two pressure regulators makes it possible to have a quick 3-way valve for high, medium (carpet) and low pressure. Save time and acts as a back up system should one pressure regulator fails, just dial in the other and keep cleaning. Also holds pressure without the large drop seen in other machines when the wand valve is keyed.

Pump clutch that stops pump when waste tank is full rather than shutting down the engine and losing suction. Can run machine with pump off for water damage extraction. If you lay down wand and and don't key the valve, the pump won't overheat but will let a little water come into your pump to cool it down so it doesn't fail.

3/8 inch solution hose for better flow and pressure at the wand. Holds heat pressure better without the large drop, maintains heat better, flows more solution, and last longer than 1/4 inch. Make high pressure steam cleaning of hard surfaces doable with such flow and heat.

Kohler air cooled engine is reliable, simple, easy and reasonable to replace. Less gas consumption per hour. No water pump, antifreeze, hoses, radiator to go bad. Uses water cooling with a simple copper tubing through the fresh water tank. Keeps motor running cool and increases life. Engine shut off if lose oil pressure, preventing expensive repairs Plenty of Kohler shops around.

105 gallon usable waste tank, so the tank must be about 140 gallons in size. How many truck mounts come with larger recovery tanks? Did you know that the waste tank can be completely drained so you don’t leave waste water at the bottom to raise such a stink? Large lid makes it easy to rinse out.

High quality metals used through out. No rusted frame that can weaken and look unsightly. Stays looking like new. All Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Brass, Copper right down to the screws.

The PM can be had with a conveyor system to roll the machine right out of the van for easy maintenance.

8 gallon solution fill tank. Just turn the valve to ‘solution fill’ and you soap tank will fill with hot water. Combined with large lid, makes it easy to use powders, so more economical. Save much time mixing chemicals. Time is money. Also has ‘warm up ‘ mode.

Proven track record. (even if an occasional lemon shows up, as it does with all machines) Thousands of Powermatics sold over the last 30 plus years? How many other models can even come close? They are soon obsolete. No need to keep looking for the latest and greatest only to find out differently, that they don’t work as well as claimed or clean as well as the Powermatic. Bigger blower (requiring bigger more expensive gas hogging motors) should give more suction, but due to less heat and flow, still leave much to be desired. Average job is only 100 feet of hose!

As a slide in, it doesn’t wear out the van prematurely. Can be moved to another truck if your truck is down for a long time.

I suppose every machine has a down side for someone, even if it is imaginary. But for what a truck mount is supposed to do for your business, you could find a whole lot less but spend a whole lot more. Comparing the features/benefits of the Steam Way Powermatic Legacy 2100, there is simply no machine like it. A Lexus compared to a common Chevy, yet lower priced than machines that do much less, have much less, are much less.

There are other machines that can clean as well, but they are still no match for the Powermatic.

Loren

P.S. Maybe I will buy a lunch pail. :)

Name
George Valliant
It's a shame they ain't makin em anymore!

Never worked with a PM but would love the heat and 2.5 hose.

Bet the price of a used one is right too. If a fella could find one.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
ACE said:
That unit only has 1500 hours and I only paid $1550 for it.

JHC!!!! How the heck do you sleep at night.. You must have stolen machine from some unsuspecting little old lady who had it sitting in her barn...That's an unbelieveable find/deal.

Take care of it!!!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ask ken raddon what he thinks of his ALUMINIMUM frame :roll: :roll:

and i looked at one a bit, and they still are choked down

Glynn

This one we are doing right now, it's nowhere near done yet but it should be good when finished.

14022010035copy.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
and i looked at one a bit, and they still are choked down

choked down where?
there's one elbow from tank to blower.
then straight down to a short silencer
2.5 in , 2.5 out

Mike, you did GREAT on a 1500 hour machine for $1500
Now do yourself a favor and change the POS heater flow switch to an aftermarket flow switch.
Buy it from Jeff at Steamway Express
(he's a great guy to deal with and knows his chit)

http://www.steamwayexpress-ohio.com/

It's a direct replacement and will take 20 minutes to change
burn kero in that bumer too ...you have much less problems

BTW, it's a 231,000 BTU burner
and will sustain 250 degrees @ 2.1 GPM

yo vEEgs..GFY!!

..L.T.A.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
meAt said:
Now do yourself a favor and change the POS heater flow switch to an aftermarket flow switch.
Buy it from Jeff at Steamway Express
(he's a great guy to deal with and knows his chit)

You got that right Larry!! The meathead I was bringing my machine to for service put a ST-6 or something like that.. worked about 10 times, seriously, and that was it!! Kept giving me one lame excuse after the other about why it wasn't working.

Called Jeff @ Steam Way Express, sent me the aftermarket switch he carries took about 20-25 minutes mainly because of the cramped quarters in the back of my van. Doesn't look like Mike with have that problem. Anyway, since putting in Jeff's switch she's been roaring ever since with no problems. Jeff's a great resource.. a little chit chatty sometimes but that's because he really wants to educate, you the customer, from start to finish. I wish more were like him.

I've got to give Larry a huge THANK YOU too. He's helped me out a ton with little things, a lot of them embarrassingly enough were operator error because I'm not extremely mechanically inclined and very green but, he really help me and my blood pressure immensely.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
It's a shame they ain't makin em anymore!

Never worked with a PM but would love the heat and 2.5 hose.

Bet the price of a used one is right too. If a fella could find one.

Actually, they are still making the Powermatic. http://amptruckmounts.com/comingsoon.aspx

Like Larry said, install a better flow switch.

I have not heard of a problem with the aluminum frame, other than the Platinum 2001 model that was painted. The paint would peel off some, which to me is unsightly. The rest of the models over the years remained unpainted. I would think if there was a real problem, I would have found it after all these years, or it would have been corrected at some point in the last few decades of producing that frame.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
What kind of kero heater is that? Where do you buy those things?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Can somebody explain to me how AMP can have exactly the same machine as Steamway? the 4100 & the Vision is The machine how is that possible? do they make them for Steamway now or what?

4100_reflection.png
sdc10225%20%202pdf.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
everfresh1 said:
do they make them for Steamway now or what?

Steamway folded up shop a year or two year ago, Jamie
There is still Steamway labeled juice as far as I know..
(and I don't know if they ever made their own juice to begin with)
but they are no longer in the TM manufacturing biz

..L.T.A.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
meAt said:
everfresh1 said:
do they make them for Steamway now or what?

Steamway folded up shop a year or two year ago, Jamie
There is still Steamway labeled juice as far as I know..
(and I don't know if they ever made their own juice to begin with)
but they are no longer in the TM manufacturing biz

..L.T.A.

Well...Thier website is still up and running :?:

http://www.steamway.com/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom