The PROPER Wand Stroke

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
You’ll die now
Maybe from my extracurricular activities but doubt from carpet cleaning.
Im greatly reducing my stress and cleaning for my enjoyment and not the money.
Ive been wise with my money so now time to enjoy life.
As my friend says- "there is no emergency in regular carpet cleaning, so make 'em wait and dont stress. If I'm in known for doing a spectacular job they will wait."

Name
Matt Ross
I trigger when I'm pulling the wand toward me, then I do one complete slow dry pass back over what I just did pushing the wand away from me. Then I do a quick dry pass back toward me and a then a diagonal dry pass to the next "row." I don't lift my wand because I have a week truckmount and I need all the vacuum I can get. Plus regardless of what I think, most people like the sawtooth, or I'm doing cgd which doesn't leave marks. I
You have to be flexible though, and I'm sure most of the veterans on here don't use the exact same pattern on ever type of carpet or soil load. I agree that most on YouTube are pretty horrible. It just takes some common sense and a few jobs to learn what works and what doesent.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I trigger when I'm pulling the wand toward me, then I do one complete slow dry pass back over what I just did pushing the wand away from me. Then I do a quick dry pass back toward me and a then a diagonal dry pass to the next "row." I don't lift my wand because I have a week truckmount and I need all the vacuum I can get. Plus regardless of what I think, most people like the sawtooth, or I'm doing cgd which doesn't leave marks. I
You have to be flexible though, and I'm sure most of the veterans on here don't use the exact same pattern on ever type of carpet or soil load. I agree that most on YouTube are pretty horrible. It just takes some common sense and a few jobs to learn what works and what doesent.
In my opinion, you're better off to partially lift the wand on every stroke to clear the wand and vacuum hose. On my return stroke I lift one side of the wand as overlap and push forward again. If your wand is sealed all of the time, you will accumulate a lot of cleaning solution in your vac hoses, cutting down on the amount of air able to pass through. Weak truck mount, strong truck mount or portable, it's all the same.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
For a 1 and 1/2" practitioner you are probably best off using the well-known or common mastubatory grip with the rear two fingers eased off. Had yo been a 2 incher different techniques are advised
:redface:

Reactions: Jimmy L

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
In my opinion, you're better off to partially lift the wand on every stroke to clear the wand and vacuum hose. On my return stroke I lift one side of the wand as overlap and push forward again. If your wand is sealed all of the time, you will accumulate a lot of cleaning solution in your vac hoses, cutting down on the amount of air able to pass through. Weak truck mount, strong truck mount or portable, it's all the same.
The only time to lift the edge of the wand is to create a vortex to suck the broken crack pipe shards at the edge

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The only time to lift the edge of the wand is to create a vortex to suck the broken crack pipe shards at the edge
Or after the dry pass to move it over to the next pass. If you want your shoulders to wear out twice as fast, just leave it locked on the carpet when you move it to the left or right

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Bane had there technique.When I first Started with Butler Carpet Cleaning in the 84,they had their version and so did the other outfit's I was employed with...After I left and went to apply at Stanley once again another version...I prefer a system of uniformity per type of soil encountered or type of rug...The first number was a steam stroke/2nd was vac passes .An old wool wall to wall say 20 yrs old would have 1-2 passes at med psi -loweed heat and 4 vac passes .That type thing it enabled a more uniform method an it made the cleaners think not just be robotic...Was it exhausting of course but it was my name on the line followed by tons of air movers ...So...Even though you have your own variate from time to time.Rethink it well it might be the area your in neglect of.An also if you do ever leave your outfit be open to just doing it there way ...Example fast wool wall to wall 2/4 or a 2/6 that was on work orders ...

sassyotto

Name
Paul
as well as the pattern is the speed. When you consider a lot of guys are using 015 or 02 jets , "maybe" at 400psi, and moving the wand that fast, they aren't rinsing squat.
ok Mr Happy, what size jets and PSI should we be using?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
IMO, nothing smaller than an 02, 03 if you can. Unless you're running that Zipper SS at 800-1000psi. You can run the smaller jets if you want, but if for those that fly with a wand, smaller jets won't put out enough water to do anything more than rinse the tips. If that's your goal, go for it.
Me? I'm more OCD I guess, plus, whenever I try rushing like I see other guys doing, I end up getting called back because of some soil that wicked up that I know I could have flushed had I slowed down. The bigger water flow helps.
IMO

steve_64

ok Mr Happy, what size jets and PSI should we be using?
Slow down.
If the carpet is damp after your wand stroke slow it down until the carpet feels almost dry.
I use various wanding technique because I clean a lot of different carpet with a lot of different soil levels.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom