The Reaction To Floods.....

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I had a flood to take care of yesterday in an apartment. The people below were complaining about water dripping in their suite. Broken pipe so the managers figured where it was from and I was in the unit moving stuff around and sucking up the water when the tenant came home.
He FREAKED!
he was cussing and throwing stuff and being a real ass to me and my helper. I tried to reason with him about just being there to rectify the situation, but he was still crapping all over me and my helper.
I'm "certified" to do water damage, but I get my dander up when people start with the bullshit when I'm there to make things right for them.
How do you guys handle that anger? I just shut up and did what I had to do, but I was on the verge of walking on this as I was getting fed up with the BS.

BUSY BEE

I've been in that situation many times. At first I don't say anything, if they start directing their shit at me I'll tell them "look, I didn't cause this problem, I'm here to help fix this problem for you" and if that doesn't work I've told them "if you keep this up, I'm gonna walk out of here, tell the property manager you're not cooperating with me and you're gonna be liable for the damage in here because you won't let me do my job". Those 2 things have always worked for me if the tenants being a dickweed.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
That's about right Bill.

I've had to have a conversation or two in the past with custy's who are pissed and direct it towards me un warranted.

I have always kept my cool and I think that defuses the situation.
Once they realize that they are being an idiot and you are calling them on it then they usually back off.

If that doesn't work, I kick them in the ding ding.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Restoration work is too much drama for me. I just don’t have the stomach to deal with it full time. The tenet’s reaction is fairly typical. I think busy bee has it right. All you can do is: be cool, let them know you are there to help and this needs to be taken care of ASAP or they will have a bigger problem. Then let them know you are ready to walk.

R

R W

A vac hose to his arsehole will rectify the problem. That's why I only go in with a restoration company that was contracted for the job.

I'm sure he had something that he didn't want anyone else to see.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Try as best you can to show some compassion and put yourself in their shoes.

We know it will all be OK, because we dry homes and business on a daily basis. But this is traumatic for them, everything they own is wet.

They are not going to be happy and are looking to take it out on someone. It's displaced anger, and you should expect a little of it.

If they are totally belligerent, stop them and calmly explain to them why you are there. Remind them you're there to help, if they can't calm down, then tell them you'll have to leave.

Then leave, you shouldn't have to take abuse from a customer. :wink:

Name
Nate W.
rctpks said:

We know it will all be OK, because we dry homes and business on a daily basis. But this is traumatic for them, everything they own is wet.

They are not going to be happy and are looking to take it out on someone. It's displaced anger, and you should expect a little of it.

If they are totally belligerent, stop them and calmly explain to them why you are there. Remind them you're there to help, if they can't calm down, then tell them you'll have to leave.

You beat me to it. Almost word for word on what my pops has always done and taught me.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
rctpks said:

This has been a moment with Richy

R

R W

rctpks said:

Compasion is #1 for any flood job. But there still are a-holes out there......
and they think it's your fault!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I know Robert we've crossed paths with them too.

We had a motel that had 10-rooms wet at 1:00 AM, manager said it couldn't wait. We warned him of the noise and he said it didn't matter, anyone that complains he said send them to him.

We hadn't run for more than 10-minutes and a guy comes in pissed as could be. He said "you're shutting that thing down!" We had a Prochem 800A, that sounded like a city truck, this was back years ago when I went out. :shock:

I told him I couldn't, it was a pipe break and we were mitigating the loss, before it got into more rooms.

The guy said he had been traveling for 16-hours and need the sleep, if we didn't shut it off he was going to punch me out. It was tough not getting smart with him, I was younger and cocky (stupid too) at the time, but I kept my cool and told him if he would check with the desk and they told us, we would shut it down.

He stormed off and about 5-minutes later even more pissed, he takes a duffle bag and slams his door, burns rubber out of the parking lot.

30-minutes later the desk clerk came by laughing, asking if the guy gave us any trouble. He said he threatened him too, but he gave him his money back and the guy split. :mrgreen:

G

Mikey P said:
I had that same reaction when I first saw my reSoil...

I thought you were gonna say when you seen your first repair on your V.... Recoils don't blow Breakers; We leave that to the Mytee Machines!!

:lol: :lol: :roll:

j/k Willy, dont blow a fuse.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
two weeks ago i did a highrise apartments and the tennant came home. she took a look at my airmovers and starter screaming and i tried to calm her down, but with no luck she only escalated her attitude and voice and picked up the airmovers and threw them into the hallway.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
in a situation like that, where some one throws a $200-300 airmover, how can you deal with that without coming across like assault if you tried to grab it from her. Like the woman at MF that threw the wand into the room. How would you come back to these people to pay for damages?

GRHeacock

Yes, a flood is traumatic- I have had it happen in my own house, so I know what it is like to be on the receiving end.

But the stupidest guy I ever ran across, dealing with floods, is the guy who would not let me deal with the flood- he said- all you need to do is put down some towels and stomp on them, all that equipment was not necessary.

So, OK, fine with me, and I said sign here that you refused service. And he did, and good luck to him.

Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom