The Redding Fire.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I just took the motorcycle out for a little ride around town to check things out. I stopped by Tom's house for a bit then continued on. Tom is fine and is wearing very dirty shorts. The amout of emergancy vehicles in town is nuts. The CAL-OES (office of emergancy services) has a field filled with semi trailers filled with hundreds of pallets of supplies. Tha Shasta fairgrounds is being used as a staging area for Cal-Fire and is filled with equipent and personnel.

I can't wait for this air to clear up. 4 days of breathing smoke and ash is starting to get to me. I guess riding a motorcycle around in it wasn't the best idea. If we didn't have the MIL I would have left for the coast. We're hoping we can bring her back tomorrow morning to the facility. I plan on ordering a poop-ton of traffic lane and soot cleaner. I think things may get busy.

We live in a small tight community. God help the cleaners and contractors that try and take advantage of the people.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My friend Dan owns a local plumbing company. He posted this on FB. Truly a classy guy. :

Message to my fellow Redding Contractors.
In the coming month's and year you will be asked to help rebuild the homes that have been damaged and lost in the Carr fire.
At times you will get more calls then you can handle . Your first instinct will be to immediately raise your prices , To bid jobs higher than normal knowing that there are a limited number of qualified people to do the job. I ask on behalf of the community that you do not do this . I know that every shop needs to make a profit and we all have bills to pay. We all know are numbers by now . We know what it takes to keep are employee's paid and are lights on. Redding is a tight knit community . There have been many outside contractors try to come in a overcharge are clients and for the most part they don't last long . word travels fast among are community . If you are caught price gouging and overcharging You will be called out for it . expect to work long hours . Expect to have trouble finding material.
This is your home too . These are your neighbors. Give them a honest price . What would of you charged them before the fire . Do a good job. Be respectful, some of these people lost everything. If they want to take a moment to tell you there story listen to them make the time. When you go to sleep at night you will feel better with a full heart than you ever did with a full wallet.

Name
Jeff T
Unfortunately there are many who have good intentions, but, they also believe that ‘a rising tide floats all ships’.....

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
large fires can create odd air currents which even go against the prevailing wind and push heated air in concentrated blasts.

I watched a bush fire go up a forested hill as a kid, random trees away from the flames would explode from the heat and it zig zagged all over leaving some areas untouched

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
large fires can create odd air currents which even go against the prevailing wind and push heated air in concentrated blasts.

I watched a bush fire go up a forested hill as a kid, random trees away from the flames would explode from the heat and it zig zagged all over leaving some areas untouched

Same in Oz

Very strange sights I have seen as well.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
@nomad video is nice but you really shouldn't point out the valuables you see. That tool box could contain over $10,000 in tools. A mechanic told me he that much invested in his tools.

Name
Steve Lawrence
You are right. It was weird. We would see all these houses destroyed then right next door would be a perfect house. It made no sense.
Something is weird about these fires as well as Cali fires last fall. Research if interested.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Way upside down on their mortgage, Steve?
Easy way out????

Could be

But even if that, I'm still surprised to see the lack of singe or wilted from heat leaves near the houses clearly leveled by fire

I've seen trees close to large intense fires.
The didn't catch fire, but darn sure wilted the leaves

My SWAG the fire in that hood happened weeks ago and leaves recovered?????

LTA

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
This fire was weird all the way around. It was so large it created fire tornadoes with 140+ mph winds. There is not protection against that. Have you guys seen the video of the fire tornado? It was city blocks large.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm so damn tired of these fires. Every morning I wake up with burning eyes. Just when I think things are clearing up, another fire breaks out. The air quality sucks this morning and I have a big commercial job today.

upload_2018-8-18_8-43-30.png

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm so damn tired of these fires. Every morning I wake up with burning eyes. Just when I think things are clearing up, another fire breaks out. The air quality sucks this morning and I have a big commercial job today.

View attachment 84194
We're smoked in here. Over 600 fires in BC and it seems the smoke always drifts our way. Can't even see the sun nost mornings.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Scott and I were in Denver last week for SFS and we thought we were going to be able to see mountains, but the smoke from the fires in California was hiding them. Some of our Uber drivers told us the jet stream was carrying it all the way there. It cleared some on our last day, but I was surprised how the smoke drifted so far

FE9E153D-14F2-46E0-9EDB-7FE64FE383BA.jpeg 83FB5771-4DDF-419F-96FC-63FB2297F810.jpeg 8B831D50-1360-4E2F-8B30-627EBACE239A.jpeg 42D5302F-15C0-46F8-957C-4C57619AFEB8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom