The Steamer....one of the most valuable tools for repairs...

ksokalski

I didn't take any pictures (forgot my camera) however, using a steamer I was able to repair pile crush on a velvet sette (most likely from the 19th century) using a carding brush and a steamer.

One had a butt imprint from somebody sitting on the peice with a wet bathing suit and the other had rings from wet cups on the seat. With in 15 minutes with the steamer and a carding brush I was able to make $120.

Outstanding piece of equipment that steamer is!!!!!

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Kris I also have a steamer just like Steve Andrews. If he speaks highly of it I' ll buy it. It has done some quality repairs as well as work for me. When me and Steve get together one day I'll have more of an understanding of what this device can do.

Cousin

Never leave home without the steamer, use it nearly every day now.

Hey Kris, did you get that photo. I never did hear back from you, so I have no idea.

M

harryhides

Name
Tony
Ditto here: Took these shots with a geezer even older than Shorty or M - the old steamer man himself - Ed York who has been proclaiming the value of steam to any who would listen.

ChairResultsCloth.jpg

These results from using steam alone.

aChairB4bck.jpg

After making a few Nepalese cookies to enjoy with a cuppa, you can clean up the oil stains with a steamer too.

CookieStainsaft.jpg

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Hi Tony,
Good advice on the steamer. I have a couple which work well on drapes or fabric thats between 3ft and higher but clog when using near ground level.
Whats the name and where can you get a steamer like you have in the picture. What length of hose is attached and how does it operate at ground level?

Steaming saved me from owning a sofa ($6,000) last week that you responded to regarding using a cloth over steam head.

Do you ever teach leather cleaning classes in Mass. or surrounding states?

Thanks,

Terry

harryhides

Name
Tony
Terry said:
Hi Tony,
Good advice on the steamer. I have a couple which work well on drapes or fabric thats between 3ft and higher but clog when using near ground level.
Whats the name and where can you get a steamer like you have in the picture. What length of hose is attached and how does it operate at ground level?
Steaming saved me from owning a sofa ($6,000) last week that you responded to regarding using a cloth over steam head.
Do you ever teach leather cleaning classes in Mass. or surrounding states?
Thanks, Terry

You're welcome Terry. Glad to be of help.
Here is the link to an old thread in which you will see some familiar names and the answers to your question.

http://www.i-boards.com/ics/messages.asp?MsgID=773762&ThreadID=79214#773762

I will start teaching again in 2009 - stay tuned to this site, especially in Mass as one of my ancestors the Rev John Wheelwright arrived in Boston in 1636 - http://www.famousamericans.net/johnwheelwright/

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Tony, the Italian Stallion, aka Vocaci Steamer.........

What is the steam output under what pressure please ?

I have an old 'Karcher Steamer that I also use occasionally.

Only problem with this is that although it puts out steam under high pressure, I would like more steam under a lower pressure.

I have had reasonable results on upholstery, but not impressive (to me) results.

When I use this for bed bugs, it tends to blow them away without killing them.

Thanks &

Ooroo :roll:

Cousin

Shorty Down Under said:
Only problem with this is that although it puts out steam under high pressure, I would like more steam under a lower pressure.

Shorty, more steam under low pressure is difficult. Steam will stay as a vapour longer when it's under pressure. Lower the pressure, and it starts condensing back to water, hence the problem with some using the atmospheric pressure units with water forming in the hose, and when they work down low, water starts running out. Damned annoying!

One way you can move towards the 'type' of steam you want, is to pull the plastic heads apart and slightly drill the holes a bit bigger. But just a tiny, tiny bit bigger.
This may give what you want, more steam at a slightly lower pressure.

M

harryhides

Name
Tony
I can tell M is an idealist - imagine trying to use logic with Shorty !! :mrgreen:

There is a dial on my Focaci whereby I can adjust the amount of steam production - no I don't know if that affects psi but it does appear to affect volume of steam.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
EXCUSE ME !!!!!!!!!!!

But I respond well to fuzzy logic

harryhides said:
I can tell M is an idealist - imagine trying to use logic with Shorty !! :mrgreen:

There is a dial on my Focaci whereby I can adjust the amount of steam production - no I don't know if that affects psi but it does appear to affect volume of steam.

M & I have a strange & unique relationship.

He's strange & I'm unique. :lol:

Seriously though, as Harry said, well sort of anyhow, there are steamers that put out a lot of steam under a lower pressure on the market.

Mine just doesn't cut the cake though :(

Oops, that's not right, mine doesn't cut the mustard :cry:

Cousin

Shorty Down Under said:
I'm unique. :lol:

Beware the court jester, he has the Kings ear :!:

Shorty's not as he looks, Tony. He can fool many. So yes, unique.

(and how're you going to take that one, Shorty?? :wink: )

My focaccia (actually I've got an Alto) has a dial too, but it reduces the amount of steam. Shorty was chasing more.
I've got a spare head (spent some time in Tassie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) and might have a fiddle myself and see if I can achieve what I was suggesting above.

M

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
John Middleton said:
Using the terms a 'spare head' and 'fiddling myself' indicate you may be on the wrong forum M. :oops:

John

Be careful young John, be very careful :wink:

"My first time with a crayon, no longer a virgin. "

Hmmmmmmmmmm :twisted:

Even the walls have ears :shock:

Back
Top Bottom