The Topic that Came up About Clutch Drive Systems

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

I just checked a Butler that reminded me of this topic, so I thought I’d post this.

A recent unit that we put a new blower on showed low CFM under load, and we could smell belt slippage. IR camera showed that the outer part of the clutch was @ about 210 degrees (normal is about 90 under 8 Hg. load). In this instance only a new clutch will help. If it is a inner problem the bearing itself can be replaced. Here is why:

Yes, Butler and other clutch driven units do have clutch problems. Because of this we automatically change the clutches before we sell a used unit. Here is what we found: By using an IR camera, there are 2 areas in the clutch that can show overheating prior to a breakdown. But otherwise there is nothing visibly seen. And in fact, there may be clutch slippage, leading to loss of CFM.

Two areas of over heating. #1 The center of the clutch. This shows that the bearing is causing too much drag. Which in turn will cause belt, and blower slippage. Easy repair. Replace center bearing. #2 Outer circumference of the clutch. This is from the magnets themselves slipping, which in turn causes belt, and blower slippage. Replace clutch

Thx,
Dale

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I'll repeat, I've had one clutch fail in 25 years. Most times it is going to be fine unless you are trying to run the machine too fast.

Mike Draper

I run my butler within a hairline of red line always and at 15hg. I imagine this will wear out the cluch faster than most? However, I do run almost all 2.5" hose.

Greenie

Dale's post is great if you have an IR camera, or suspect a clutch issue, unfortunately I don't think most will go about diagnosing this in this manner. What does one of those fancy IR cams cost?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom