The Truth about the Rotary Drimaster

Alexarz

I was asked to create this thread so I will try to do so in a more positive manner than some of the debate in the other one.

The biggest misconception around the RDM is that it only does a topical cleaning. When I bought my first one, I noticed that one of the water slots was flooding the carpet with the water pouring out in a more downward angle while the other two were shooting across the metal slot like I expected them to. I thought that I had a machine that was out of the ordinary but it was working well so I left it alone. When I bought more RDM's I noticed that they were all capable of shooting the water downward but it needed a certain amount of PSI to do it (usually somewhere near 500 psi).

Months went by as I was using this machine exclusively and I noticed that I was not receiving any complaints or call backs. I also noticed early on, that the cleaning results were better than I was getting with the RX20's so I tried to evaluate what was happening. For one thing, my waste tank was filling up much more quickly, which indicated that it was pouring more water out and since the drying time was shorter, it was recovering a higher percentage of it as well.

All was not perfect in RDM world. I noticed that sometimes the water slots were not pouring downward and diagnosis revealed that several circumstances could cause this. A clogged screen filter in the truckmount could be the cause. The inline water filter, after the 1/4 quick connect could also cause this problem. When using an RDM, these things have to be checked regularly so that it operates in a way that allows the water to shoot downward into the carpet fibers, so it can do more than a topical cleaning.

The clearances in the water slots are so fine that even the slightest particles of debris can clog them, which hinders the water flow into the carpet. The vacuum slots also clog up often and both of these things need to be at 100% efficiency in order for this machine to perform at the level that I claim it can. However, when it is running like this, it cleans like nothing I have ever used and combined with the use of AIRPATHS, is as close as perfect carpet cleaning as you can find.

I would sometimes lift the machine off the carpet slightly and pull the water handle to see how much water it was putting down. It would instantly flood the carpet from top to bottom yet in operation, would extract the water out just as quickly.

Besides its astounding cleaning ability, I really liked the lower weight as compared to the RX20's, its ease of handling and far less destructive nature in comparison to RX20's. I also like how the machine reaches under many pieces of furniture that cannot be moved for varying reasons.

Having said all of this, I still believe that the RV360i is the best choice for most carpet cleaners because it doesn't have to be watched like a hawk to be effective. Besides, the RDM has been discontinued. I hope this answers more questions about the RDM. I believe that most operators of this machine never took the time to figure it out completely and ran it at less than 100%, where it didn't work very well. Bad reputations spread quickly and this machine never enjoyed the appreciation for what it was capable of.

Burtz

other than it's a fragile as a Ming Vase

what is your favorite pre spray

Alexarz

Burtz said:
other than it's a fragile as a Ming Vase

what is your favorite pre spray
I don't find all that much difference in name brand pre-sprays for residential but lately I have been using ProChem Powerburst. On commercial, I prefer Kleen Rite High PH. This stuff is really potent with a PH of 13.2.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
so do you think that the RDM is cleaning the carpets..or is it maybe the 13.2 battery acid chemicals doing all the work...........

Alexarz

Mikey P said:
Alex

Did you try any of the *** chems?
No. Oddly enough, Rob never talked about them much to me. The prices seemed a bit high as well. I get most of my chemicals from my local distributor. I get a few from other sources. I am currently trying an ink remover that is supposed to work without the spreading issues (no need for peroxide barriers etc). I get the Kleen Rite High PH from All Care Distributors in NJ.

Alexarz

Mikey P said:
but do you pre vacuum?
I don't include it automatically but I suggest they do a slow vacuuming or have us vacuum the carpet with a Pile Lifter at $8 extra per room. It's not easy getting people to spend extra money in Florida. I would prefer to run the Pile Lifter on all jobs but they won't pay for it. In NY, where I am from, it is a different story. They love quality up there.

Mikey P

Administrator
I should instate a Board rule that unless YOU provide a thorough pre vaccuming YOU are not allowed to offer cleaning advice on this forum.

and yes I'm talking to all of YOU!

shut up Werner.

Alexarz

Mikey, what works in CA would not work in other areas of the country. People in CA are not cheapos or they wouldn't be living there. Most people in FL would not pay the prices necessary to include everything like pre-vacuuming. I agree with you that vacuuming is very important and it took me time to adjust to FL, when I moved here from NY. I tell the customers that they can either vacuum the carpets first, going very slowly or have us vacuum them with a Certified Pile Lifter for $8 per room. Most of the consumers here call 10 or more carpet cleaners and choose the cheapest one. I survive on the smaller percentage who are willing to pay a higher price to get a higher quality result but I can't push it too far or I will be unemployed.

It's a tough market down here.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim Martin said:
so do you think that the RDM is cleaning the carpets..or is it maybe the 13.2 battery acid chemicals doing all the work...........

are you avoiding me again...........its an honest question...........

Mikey P

Administrator
Alexarz said:
Mikey, what works in CA would not work in other areas of the country. People in CA are not cheapos or they wouldn't be living there. Most people in FL would not pay the prices necessary to include everything like pre-vacuuming. I ....

Yet you can take the time to set 4 Air paths in one room?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks for an honest appraisal of the RDM Alex.

Surely they can't all be cheapskates down in Florida. ??

I realise you have plenty of business savvy, but have you tried marketing soley to the wealthier suburbs down there. ?

Ooroo,

Bugger, my smilie is gone. :shock:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Alright folks, I hate to say it but i agree with Alex on the peRformance of the rdm. I moved up to high flow wands, and pre scrubbing, but it's hard to beat the rdm for ease of use and cleaning ability. I will mention that like any rotary extractor, they shine by producing great results, without the need for additional prescrubing. I've never had to use nuclear chemistry, and actuellly it cleans very well as a one step cleaning on moderate soled carpet with just soap free.

I have never used a rdm, but would think they would be great for on location rug cleaning and command a higher price.

G

Jim Martin said:
[quote="Jim Martin":2qzuumlm]so do you think that the RDM is cleaning the carpets..or is it maybe the 13.2 battery acid chemicals doing all the work...........

are you avoiding me again...........its an honest question...........[/quote:2qzuumlm]

I've been using an RDM for 2 years, as my heavy artillery now. It cleans more thoroughly (I believe) then a wand with the same given time (pass). I use my wand for light to light medium soil carpet and berber, and my RDM for anything worse and high shag. I haven't raved about it here, because this is wand territory, until the recent 360i revelations. The weakness is that I wouldn't trust an employee with it, because it would not take a drop or much abuse. If my RDM ever dies, then I would easily get a 360i as the replacement for my heavy artillery.

* I vacuum when it's needed (when it's needed, when it's needed, when it's needed) ;)

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Alexarz said:
Besides its astounding cleaning ability, I really liked the lower weight as compared to the RX20's, its ease of handling and far less destructive nature in comparison to RX20's. I also like how the machine reaches under many pieces of furniture that cannot be moved for varying reasons.

Agreed it is relatively light and with the low profile gets into some areas a wand doesn't. I have done a grotty pub a few times and although it is slower the rinsing ability beats the wand hands down
Besides, the RDM has been discontinued.

That is unfortunate as I believe they are a great bit of equipment

roro

RickL

Mikey P said:
I should instate a Board rule that unless YOU provide a thorough pre vaccuming YOU are not allowed to offer cleaning advice on this forum.

You might be surprised how much that would cut down on the activity here and yes I prevaced everyjob. It's surprising how many people see themselves as "highend cleaners" simply because they have a nice truckmount but still don't clean as good as a some people they call hacks. No pre vac, no extra dry strokes, spotting, ect. Really the truck is the only think that separates them from the $89 whole house subs.

I also used the RDM and agree with Alex I have done side by side comparisons and it out cleans a wand (not a great wand used in the test though) and was a great tool to use. My main reason for purchasing was because I used a 3.6 blower on my TM and this compensated leaving the carpet dryer. However I found when working alone the extra cord to be a PITA plus even though it's light moving it up and down several flights of stairs got old. It's definitely not as easily maneuvered as a good wand. I will admit that once I got a good glided wand I switched and only brought it out on specific jobs.

Alexarz

The use of Airpaths has been brought up several times so I would like to clarify something. We don't normally place 4 in one room but the picture you are referring to was a living room/dining room combination and each room requires two in order to dry the rooms fast enough to keep up with the cleaning technician. For those who have not used Airpaths, they dry the first 3' very well but taper off significantly after that. Each van requires a minimum of 4 and preferably 5 or 6 in order to achieve complete drying of carpets by job's end. I would not recommend their use for one person van operations; too heavy and way too much work. Even when using two per room, they have to be maneuvered in each room for uniform drying. An extra employee is needed.

Jim Martin said:

Watch it Jim he is very sensitive with the Battery Acid he uses.....LMAO

Alexarz

Jim Martin said:
how many guys do you send out per job.........
As many Home Depot pickupee's as I can fit in a box trailer.

Since Curtis Robinson is so accurate in his description of me, I will hereby allow him to be my spokesman. It's been fun.

Burtz

By Alexarz - Nov 3, 2009
This is a quality oriented carpet cleaning business, one of the few around. Once you see the van, equipment and more importantly, results, you will agree. Immediate drying is a big plus as well as the excellent cleaning quality.

Joe Bristor

I believe that most operators of this machine never took the time to figure it out completely.
So true of many tools we use.

...that 500psi is enough, it's shooting the water downward that is the secret?
So you're NOT saying that it's high pressure that others speak of that makes it clean so well???

my waste tank was filling up much more quickly, yet the drying time was shorter, thus it was recovering a higher percentage .
So you’re saying it’s a moderate flow, high recovery extractor?
And as long as you're shooting "straight down", you are deep cleaning. Right?

diagnosis revealed clogged screen filter .. clogged inline water filter...must allow the water to "shoot downward" into the carpet fibers, so it can do more than a topical cleaning.
So if the water slots never clogged, it would never have earned its reputation as a poor deep cleaner?
Maybe it just needs an ample fine mesh Y strainer just above the entry to the water slots?

The clearances in the water slots are so fine that even the slightest particles of debris can clog them, which hinders the water flow into the carpet....The vacuum slots also clog up often...both of these things need to be at 100% efficiency...
Jetless technolgy is not going away,
so have you discovered any special tool to clean the water slots?
How about the vac slots?

...running like this... combined with AIRPATHS, is as close as perfect carpet cleaning as you can find.
Funny, the same people invented both, right?

...lift the machine ...and pull the water handle and it would instantly flood the carpet ...yet it would extract the water out just as quickly.
So you're saying it has great extraction capability.
Is it the 2” plumbing throughout?
Is it the gentle bends throughout?
Is it the configuration of the vac or water slots?
Is it the proximity of the water slots to the surface it’s cleaning?
Is it the proximity of the water slots to the vac slots?
Why is this?

Rate weight: RDM is best, 360i next best, RX last?
Rate handling: RDM is best, 360i next best, RX last?
Rate Reach: RDM is best, 360i next best, RX last?

Having said all of this, I still believe that the RV360i is the best choice for most carpet cleaners because it doesn't have to be watched like a hawk to be effective. Besides, the RDM has been discontinued.

Good stuff Alex. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom