These carpet cleaners could have killed a few poeple.

Becker

Name
Becker
My guess is it was some sort of PTO, or CDS machine.

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Fire Department says 13 people, including four firefighters and two paramedics, were been taken to a hospital to be treated for headaches and dizziness because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials say a carpet cleaning van was left running in the garage of the building at 12542 35th Avenue Northeast, and the exhaust apparently filled parts of the building.

Firefighters responded about 11:14 a.m. after a woman fell in the lobby, and others were soon overcome by the fumes.

A Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman said 10 of those taken to the hospital, including all the firefighters and paramedics, were treated and released.

The three remaining patients were listed in serious condition.

Or after reading other reports, it could have been any sort of slide in.

19 Taken To Hospital With Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

POSTED: 12:21 pm PDT April 28, 2008
UPDATED: 2:19 pm PDT April 28, 2008

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Fire Department said 19 people, including four firefighters and two paramedics, were taken to a hospital to be treated for headaches and dizziness because of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Lake City apartment building.

The fumes came from a carpet cleaning van's generator. The vehicle was parked in an enclosed basement garage in the three-story building in the 12500 block of 35th Avenue Northeast.

Firefighters said the victims were taken to Harborview Medical Center. They said three of the injured will undergo treatment at the hyperbaric chamber at Virginia Mason Medical Center.

Fire department Spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick said firefighters first responded to a report at 11:14 a.m. Monday that a woman had fallen in the lobby. They discovered the problem with fumes when they arrived.

Name
Bruce
I don't know how many times I have had a customer want me to pull my van into their garage in the winter time so they can shut the door to save a little heat

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Yeap, and my response is simply, if we can't pull it in the house because of logistics, then we don't pull it in the garage either.

TimP

I'll pull part of the van into a garaged area but I make sure the exhaust pipe is well out of the garaged area to ventilate. And even then I'll make sure to close the door as much as possible on the home too. I usually only do this because of rain though.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
In Phoenix, I always parked on the street.

Lincoln is a bit different, so the street parking doesn't work as easy. I get fumes now just parking in the drive. Can't stand it.

Becker

Name
Becker
I never clean with the van in an enclosed space, and always mindful as to were the exhaust is going.

The van in question was unmarked, the only one in danger is the carpet cleaner, he was found passed out in a hallway.

I hope he pulls though..... And learns from this mistake that could have really been bad!

I get a client per month offer me to pull out of the rain by parking in the garage.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Sometimes I'd like to park in the garage during rain. Mainly, because I'd like to end the misery. I hate cleaning in the rain.

Phoenix and S. Cali have got to be the easiest places to clean.

Becker

Name
Becker
At least it is a painless death.

Hope if does not rain much in Lincoln... Hope to see ya alive for another vegas trip someday.

Greenie

....those damn carpet generators.
was there a half burnt cigar in the ashtray?

Becker

Name
Becker
Saw an update on the story.

Unmarked van, Look pretty new. Nice white van, with a Blue Line Slide in.

The Driver/cleaner is in satisfactory condition now along with 2 others still in the hospital.

News showed the van, pulled into a ground floor enclosed garage.

Hmmmm...

Could have been bad,

G

TimP said:
I'll pull part of the van into a garaged area but I make sure the exhaust pipe is well out of the garaged area to ventilate. And even then I'll make sure to close the door as much as possible on the home too. I usually only do this because of rain though.

Not a good idea. Better off to deal with the rain than taking a chance on putting yourself and others in danger.

I stay away from the custi's garage. Sometimes they'll leave the door open so I can run the hoses through, but I'll park at the end of the drive.

Al

WOW, close one!

Watch the wind direction when you set up as well

John Watson

Sorry I am so cold on this, but I guess he was just proving a valid point. There is stupid people and there is totally stupid idiots out there Beware.

Not only did he endanger all the tenants, but the firemen were put at risk and some were also hospitalized. It's funny no ones certifications say anything about them passing the common sense quiz.

And I only know of 3 with a common sense Hat.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
running a diesel with the exhaust out the top makes parking in a garage not very practical. I'd be cleaning the interior of the garage after. Plus the stack gas is stinkier than gas exhaust.

Its just like the 2 cleaners that died in Vancouver.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Battery powered Carbon Monoxide detectors are available and a cheap safety measure. Tech can place them inside the doorway of the home or area being cleaned. If the alarm goes off, you have opportunity to move the van long before people start dropping in the hallways.

Scott Warrington

G

Are there any that you can adjust the sensitivity of the alarm?
The ones I've seen in homes seem to go off if you fart too loud.

Greenie

I think you might freak someone out.

"what mam?...oh That is just our carbon monoxide detector, so we can move the van before we start dropping in the hall"

I'd just park in the rain myself.

Becker

Name
Becker
If anyone makes a claim I'm sure anyone possible involved with deep pockets will be on the hook.

Id have to think BlueLine has many warning!

Here is the thing, the cleaner was found on the 3rd floor.

Carbon monoxide gas is heavy, so the building was filled to make it to the 3rd floor!

Scott Hayward

Was he just in the basement parking with no enclosed garage door? You wouldn't think carbon monoxide would affect that many people with no garage door.

Some people might get mad at this comment but the firemen really shouldn't have an excuse for getting sick as well on this call. Asses the situation before you go running in without the proper gear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom