Things are tough out there...

Bob Foster

I had a good repeat client with a small restaurant tell me today that she is going to bring her upright Bissell carpet cleaner to work and clean her carpets. The last I saw of the carpets they had 3 months of heavy restaurant buildup and were in bad need of my services. Not only that but the restaurant has been closed for 3 months for the winter and the goop (different than Nellos goop restaurant goop isn't orange) has been hardening up in the fibers.

So I said in a very nice way I sure understand anyone these days trying to save a few bucks here and there. Please let me know how it works out. Donna-Mae I wish you luck with that but I think you will find its not going to work. She said should still get me in a couple of times a year to give them a good cleaning.

DSC03563.jpg

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
That Bissel is gonna make some nice messy streaks in that carpet. You'll be back.Don't forget to eat there too.

Bob Foster

I'm sure I will get a call and probably in the next few weeks. We have a very good relationship. I have cleaned that place 4 or 5 times over the last couple of years and she has always been very happy with my work.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Why not do it for free once and help her thru this difficult economy?

It would be good karma and I'm sure good luck will come your way.

Maybe she'll put a card holder on her counter next to the cash register.

Bob, One of my restaurants that I do bought a nice portable unit to do them internally. I got sick and was very dissapointed. It lasted one month, they parked it in the hallway. I did not lose the account. Tell her it is a great idea for a touch up with spills on the same day they happen. Restaurant business high line could be down 10-20% in 2009. People are going more to mcdonalds and the lower priced places are seeing increases in business. Ron

G

no way Id do it free - free costs money . Now if she wanted to trade out her services ( free food you perv's ) I'd consider it on a 1 time basis only .

no way shes getting those greasy build up areas clean . Dont sweat it , she'll call you back .

Bob Foster

I'm wondering how that idea might hurt me too but I like it. Its a tiny place and it takes me less than an hour and it can be done some time after 3PM almost any day.
bistro.jpg

CleanEvo

I think you have to be careful doing this, they could have a hard time again and expect it.

The resty's I do seem to be doing fine, in fact a couple of owners have told me they're up from last year.

You may just want to spend the time finding a new one instead of giving your work away... unless she's a really close friend.

Looks like a nice little place on the ocean, maybe some free food's not such a bad idea.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
People are going more to mcdonalds and the lower priced places are seeing increases in business.

Seven bucks to eat a md around here. I can get a big burrito for four.

I like Jimmy's idea about leaving cards and doing it on the house.

It does look like a cool little place.

Albert

Rex Tyus

Resturaunts around here are struggling. Some reportedly down as much as 50% *. I have taken payment in form of Gift certificates in the past (but don't tell Scott, He might not approve). You can use them or pass them to customers.

*source a resturaunt supply distributor servicing the tristate area (Florida, Georgia, and Alabama)

Bob Foster

I also had another restaurant buy a portable. I did it for $250 a couple of times. He used to watch me pretty close so he must have figured I was over charging him. He told me that he was only willing to pay $150 the last time so I said I wasn't interested. He leases the restaurant and has run this beautiful place into the ground. A dive buddy of mine who owns a couple of restaurants is thinking of picking it up and turning it into a brew-pub.

bluepeter.jpg

joe harper

Name
joe harper
TRY THIS???????

We don't do to many restaurents...PITA...Hate the night work.....

We still have 4 restuarent's we have been doing for 10 years , Every month.

They all started singing the BLUES in Jan. this year. Business way off....

They are all scheduled the same night..so it is a pretty good TAKE......

Three are Franchise's & one is Golf Course....They all wanted to change from
monthly to every 2 months...WITH NO INCREASE IN PRICE...... That wasn't going
to FLY. Soooooooo, I made this proposal?????

Gentelmen, I will be more than happy to cancel your contracts with no problem.
"These are tough times and I understand you need trim the fat". But my labor and
chemical cost would double going to two month cleaning's at the same PRICE....
Thus eating up the SMALL margin of profit we derive from these contracts.

So I would like to make this proposal. For a period of 120 days. We will continue
on the present contracts. However, to help you through these tough times...We will
accept 50% payment by check & 50% in your restuarent's $25.00 GIFT CARDS...
This is a Win-Win propoal for you!! Here is why..I will pay my labor with your GIFT
CARD'S, thus driving them into your restuarent to eat. Any remaining GIFT CARD'S
will be given to my BEST CLIENTS for refferals!!!!!

This will increase your traffic substantually during this drought...Increasing your
bottom line more than $1000.00 per month.. As you are well aware once they are
dining they will exceed the $25.00 GIFT CARD. If nothing else it will them into your
Establishment!!!!!

At the end of the 120 day trial we can re-negotiate ?

"THEY ATE-IT-UP" no punn intended.....

Bob Foster

Not a bad idea at all...

I got a clothing store that I do where that would work really nice for me too.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bob,

I Love to barter services when ever possible??? It builds GREAT long term relationships
with your cleints. It also GENERATES lots of refferals because it gives the impression
that both parties are getting services for FREE.

There is one VERY IMPORTANT RULE to make the trade equitable for both parties involved.
ALWAYS trade RETAIL for RETAIL!!!!! Then you are not limited to who you can barter with ?
Docters,Lawyers,Pest control,Mechanics,Lawn service,HVAC, ect...................................

Always invoice you service & recieve an invoice from them......The reason for this is there
will always be a differance in the amount of services traded... I have to be accountable to
UNCLE SAM, and he FROWNS on bartering..........

So always have documentation readily available!!! (EXAMPLE) If I were to clean my attorneys
office for $750.00. Then his services were $1000.00....We would exchange invoices , mark
them PAID "same as cash payment" & i would write him a check for $250.00 ........ This it's
PERFECT LEGAL....

The GRAY area is....If I cleaned his HOME instead of his OFFICE....Then he would have to
CLAIM $750.00 in personal income..... "NOT WHAT THE LAW IS IN B.C."

Fon Johnson

I just did a color repair ($$$) in what has to be a $500k+ home (thats a NICE home around here!). They were willing to pay for the color repair, but opted to rent a grocery store machine rather than pay us $200 to clean. It's tough all over. At this time, do what you can to HELP people, and they won't forget you when things get better!

Do unto others..

Bob Foster

Must have been those sweat pants you started wearing. Or was it the lunch room marketing you started doing?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
ODIN said:
I could not be doing better

raised my prices to 85 cents a sq I now have a 500 dollar min charge

I pass out caviar and champaign to rug dealers every week

the more I charge the more they spend I just cant keep up with it all

YOu should have heard the crying when I have to put people on a 3 month waiting list I asked them if I could recommend another cleaner and they have all said no.

and this is supposed to be a down economy

Learn my secrets @ http://www.richskiingcleaner.com

I USED to be a BDCC, but after I took the course a www.richskingcleaner.com my life has improved, my bald spot has filled in, my weinie grew 3 inches, all the wrinkles have gone from my face, my bank account has more zeros than a CEO's bonus, I only do one job a day, I have a Leer Jet to take my customers on free junkets, I have to carry a baseball bat to keep the women off, I win the lottery every week, and other stuff.

All you have to do is drink that yummy grape kool aid...

Bob Foster

Matt Murdock said:
I got a clothing store that I do where that would work really nice for me too.

is it a big mans store

Nope, and I'm not that big anymore after 4 months of 3x a week of fitness center and walk 1/2 every other day. Got about another 25 to lose.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
That is great. Congrats Bob. Now I have to get off my duff

Back
Top Bottom