Thinking about a Trailer

M

Mark Imbesi

What size trailer would I be happy with to haul the Powermatic, hoses, Challenger, pads, etc..., around in? Any pics of set-ups would be awesome! What kind of insurance would be needed?

I'm tired of having 2 vans. One to install with and one to clean with. Since installing is still my bread and butter, I was thinking trailer for the cleaning equip.

Thanks,

Marc

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I've been thinking a 6x10 with a single axle would be adequate. It's a similar dimension as a standard van. Won't be able to carry much fresh water though. I still need something that will fit under a standard garage door.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Think about a motorcycle trailer, maybe a 7x12 and still be low enough to park in a regular garage.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
read my words...

BOX TRUCK

the amount of stuff i can put in there is just ridiculous...

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
trailers

The box truck would be nice, definitely plenty of room for hauling stuff but they don't fit through a regular garage door too well.

I guess the big question to ask is how much are you looking to spend? I'm considering a trailer myself as well vs. getting a second van. Good and bad for each.

I agree with Shane T. A 6X10 single axle trailer is what I'm leaning towards right now. A 6X12 will give you a little extra room but you lose out on hauling capacity. Both trailers have the same gross hauling weight capacity even though they are different sizes. Because the 6x12 weighs more, you lose hauling capacity because the trailer itself weighs more. Did I explain that correctly? If you go online and look and the break down between the two sizes you'll see what I mean.

You'll have to give up some room to maintain the ability to haul heavier equipment.. ie; the loss of carrying a fresh water tank that Shane alluded to. Or switch to fixing up a 55 gal drum of being able to carry some fresh water for those times your customers don't have or you can't easily access a water line. I've got a 100 gal fresh water tank and am deciding on whether or not I want to have it cut in half and re-welded so I can still have fresh water on board, save on space and weight for any extra equipment I might want to put in my trailer as I grow my business.

I know you will need to carry insurance for it.. the trailer sales guy I talked with confirmed that but I don't recall the exact name for the type of policy/coverage. It's a policy to cover and damage or liability if the trailer were to come off while driving etc.. he said it wasn't too expensive but a good idea to have none the less.

Your next option might be to upgrade to a 7x14 size.. you'll get more room, extra towing capacity because I think those all have dual axles and in some cases electric brakes, which is nice to have for obvious reasons when you have that much weight bearing down on your ass unlike a 6x10 or 6x12.

My recommendation would be sticking with a quality name brand; Haul-mark, Interstate are some good ones. Steel frame rather than aluminum. Some guys may try to talk you into saving weight by going with aluminum frames but if you are going to using the trailer a lot and carrying heavy loads, aluminum won't stand up as well as steel will and then you'll be buying a new trailer in another few years because your frame cracked.

Go with 3/4 in plywood floors, 1/2 is too thin. Make sure if you by a used trailer, have the axles and hubs checked out. Some guys may not have lubed the hubs or cracked an axle and that's why they are selling.. hubs alone can be $350 each or more to replace plus labor.. get E-Z lube hubs many makers have switched over to making all new trailers with E-Z lubes but some don't.

Good luck on your purchase. Living in Jersey, your located in a great area for picking up a trailer at a good price even for a new one. A trailer with the features I've mentioned will cost roughly $1800-$2100 depending on the maker, features/extras and warranty. Same trailers in Maine will be $2800-3000. If gas wasn't soooo much now I would drive down and buy there but I'd spend more on gas now so that negates and cost savings. :cry:

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
I have a 6x 10 x5 with a side door,single axle.It has a 405 with hose reel, water softener.

I would recommend a dual axle, it sways on the freeway due the TM being very far back in the trailer.

Also you should get brakes put on it.

This is a back up unit, so It doesn't get used ever.

It does fit in a standard garage though,

Vince

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Yeah but if he has 2 vans...is he parking BOTH inside???

besides I trying to park a trailer in a garage is a PITA period...dont care how good you are...every day of backing that thing up wear on ya...

I know I did the trailer thing for...ummmmmm the 1st 12.5 yrs of biz...I now have a van for stripping and a van for carpets/what ever the hell else comes up....because I have a freakin boat load of space...

Get the Bow truck...no weight problem for the powermatic...trailer could have issues...you can put a water tank, and whatever else you want...

insulate the sides and pop a heater in there for the winter

steve g

Name
steve garrett
trailers have their advantages and disadvantages, I pull a 6x12 wells cargo tandem axle I have a sub mount water tank under my machine so that saves room, with all the gear inside I don't have much extra space, the next trailer I get will be a 6x14 as they weight difference is only like 35#'s with wells cargo.

now for the disadvantages, if I pulled this trailer with a gas truck I would get 6 MPG or so I have done it with big blocks, small blocks, v6's and all got no better than 7 mpg, with a mix of city and highway, so I use a dodge with a cummins diesel this brings me up to about 12mpg. the nice thing is I can disconnect for a personal vehicle for running around, pulling toys like a camper, boat, 4 wheelers etc.

the big problem now is diesel is 4.09/gal this is .80 more /gal than gas. I really think the van idea is the way to go, you can still keep your mpg without having to burn more expensive diesel. right now I don't really like the trailer concept, another problem is I am the only person I trust driving it, I can't let others use it because they hit stuff with it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Vincent Feehan said:
I would recommend a dual axle, it sways on the freeway due the TM being very far back in the trailer.

Vince

single or dual axle has nothing to do with sway.
It's the the right amount of tongue weight that cures sway.

The general rule of thumb is 10% tongue wt
ie., if you trailer + load = 3500 pounds total, you need "at least" 350 pounds on the the ball.

Marc, 6x10 is enough as far as size and floor space of an "average" rig.
You'll need to count the pounds though..
It's not hard to over load a single axle trailer when you're starting out with a 980 pound Powermatic.

If you insist on working out of a trailer, do your self a favor and get one with rear and side doors

...L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

If installing is still your bread and butter I would think a 12' trailer would be a minimum and since many order carpet in the 15' rolls consider that as well.

RLitwin

A 6 x 10 trailer would not be big enough. I have a Boxxer 421 in a 6 x 10 and there really isn't any extra room. I pull it with a Toyota Tundra and get about 13 mpg with the trailer.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I would never give up my van for day to day use. I am looking at trailer so I can get rid of an old rusty van with my backup unit in it. Just need something that looks decent and will carry basic necessities if its needed.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ill say it again... cuz i have been ther edone that...

B-O-X T-R-U-C-K

Steve we need to meet up some day...I can look at yours you can look at mine :wink: :wink: :wink:

seriously though...once you see what room i have you will dump the trailer and want one....

I use to like the excuse of the "personal vehicle" naaawww that doesnt hold water anymore

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom