Thinking about buying this shop that closed recently after owner died.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
So what do you think? It's in the hood but I can deal with that.
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/17840045/1434-W-Lincoln-Avenue-Peoria-IL/
If anyone can figure out how to post it. It told me it was too big.

ServeAttachment.ashx

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Looks good. 3 buildings. You could have a nice man cave in one (or two).
rugsop.jpg

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Right across the street at the top is the Butternut bread plant that closed.
The rest of that page had some pics of the inside. I don't know what happened to them.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
3 buildings totalling over 5k sqft for mid $100's??? Man you guys have bargains up there Kev! Around here you'd be lucky to find a walk in closet for that! I think I'm moving!!

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Just the land and buildings or is there some rug cleaning equipment/machines too?

You have a lot of commercial/industrial possibilities even if you don't reopen a rug cleaning shop there.

Not sure what the markets are like in your neighborhood but around here that listing would be high 6 figures, maybe more.

Good luck with it.
Bill

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
In depressed areas 15-20$ a sq ft is reasonable in detroit area, much lessbif major renovations needed like roof, hvac systems etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chris A

Name
Chris
I could see that number being correct on larger buildings, but $75Gs for 5000 square feet would seem too good to be true? Of course that's Akron which is probably not as saturated with vacancies as Detroit area.

F

FB7777

That's a good size amount of sq footage, even if it is chopped up into 3 buildings.

What are your thoughts and needs for the space? Van storage, rug wash pit area? Sub Lease? Space to store equipment?

Are you operating out of a smaller space now?

Lots of questions to answer before you take ownership of property , initial price may not kill you but the overhead, taxes, and maintenance might if you don't use the space.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Lots of questions to answer before you take ownership of property , initial price may not kill you but the overhead, taxes, and maintenance might if you don't use the space.
Good points above, Kevin. When we made the jump from my house (having 4 or 5 techs for breakfast every morning started to "wear" on my wife) I found that the initial price and ongoing overhead was just the tip of the iceberg.

The bigger challenge was I had to morph into a "real business" overnight. Say what? When I was running out of the house we didn't have to maintain real hours, customers didn't stop by and so I didn't have to worry about appearances. When we moved into a commercial location all that changed. Now I had to hire a full time office manager and make the place look like a "real business".

The move wasn't all bad and was a needed step in the evolution of my business. Plus having a "real" commercial location definitely helped in the sale of my company. BUT it sure was stressful since it changed my entire business model.

Steve

PS You say it is in a "declining area". I assume to justify the overhead you'll be wanting clients to stop by, bring rugs in, etc. Has it "declined" so much that people will be hesitant to visit?

Also what are the long term prospects for appreciation of the area? The silver lining for all the stresses I detail above is that I bought my commercial location in 1988 (with a short term loan at 13% interest which I focused on paying off early!) and it has since gone up almost 600 percent in value and now produces great cash flow for Sioux and I as a rental property.

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris
PS You say it is in a "declining area". I assume to justify the overhead you'll be wanting clients to stop by, bring rugs in, etc. Has it "declined" so much that people will be hesitant to visit?

Also what are the long term prospects for appreciation of the area? The silver lining for all the stresses I detail above is that I bought my commercial location in 1988 (with a short term loan at 13% interest which I focused on paying off early!) and it has since gone up almost 600 percent in value and now produces great cash flow for Sioux and I as a rental property.

Steve, "In the hood" in Midwestern terms means "Inside city limits". Unless you find property out in the burbs or out in the country a bit (and pay a fortune for it) this is where all the affordable commercial real estate is. Assuming Central Illinois is similar to North East Ohio and it could very well not be.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
6-years ago we bought a 5,000sq/ft building in an industrial park in Lawrence Ks for $375,000.00. It's value has dropped a little but not nearly as much as my home has.

Be sure to check out the taxes, I have no problem with the payments but it can be a stuggle to pay the taxes on all three properties we own on time. I've been know to pay them late a time or two. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom