This grout kicked my ass today

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Showed up to a tile job that was supposed to be quick and easy. There was nothing easy or quick about it. The tile had never been cleaned or sealed before. The grout was black. I soaked the kitchen down in the New Viper Venom, gave a scrub, then extracted at 1200 psi with my spinner. Although i made progress, parts of the grout still looked like fertilizer. So I cleaned it a second time with a strong mix of Saigers code red and more scrubbing with a brass bristly brush on my hands and knees. Still no change. This grout was so soaked with grease and years of neglect, it’s beyond repair. The grout is so thin in many areas the grey thin-set is showing through.

This was the first time I’ve ever recommended color sealing. I’m going back in two weeks to colorseal. Charging $300 to do it.

Attachments

• F178091E-2A1D-4047-AD80-D804DAB800F9.jpeg
    F178091E-2A1D-4047-AD80-D804DAB800F9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
  • 50BD0A09-15CA-436E-918E-9B6EABB2B8BF.jpeg
    50BD0A09-15CA-436E-918E-9B6EABB2B8BF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Showed up to a tile job that was supposed to be quick and easy. There was nothing easy or quick about it. The tile had never been cleaned or sealed before. The grout was black. I soaked the kitchen down in the New Viper Venom, gave a scrub, then extracted at 1200 psi with my spinner. Although i made progress, parts of the grout still looked like fertilizer. So I cleaned it a second time with a strong mix of Saigers code red and more scrubbing with a brass bristly brush on my hands and knees. Still no change. This grout was so soaked with grease and years of neglect, it’s beyonf repair. The grout is so thin in many areas the grey thin-set is showing through.

This was the first time I’ve ever recommended color sealing. I’m going back in two weeks to colorseal. Charging $300 to do it.

View attachment 87054View attachment 87055
Color it black.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Have you ever tried cleaning with acid at all?
Never needed it. Im paranoid about etching soft stone like marble and trav and stainless appliances. Like i said. Never needed it, except my acid rinse. Ill get some and try it for giggles, but i really don't think its going to help that grout.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAT

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
that grout is in terrible shape, acid might make it look a little bit whiter. Painting it with color seal imo is kind of a waste.

you could re grout that floor so fast

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
that grout is in terrible shape, acid might make it look a little bit whiter. Painting it with color seal imo is kind of a waste.

you could re grout that floor so fast
No offense, but re-grouting is something I have no interest in doing. I’ve done a lot of grout work on homes I built and my rentals. It’s not something I want to do as an added service. I do agree it should be re-grouted.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Looking back at your pictures it looks like it had some sort of crappy mop and glo floor finish in the grout lines. If so acid wouldn’t help. Have to break out the strippers and the pole scrubbers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom