This is the end....

Mikey P

Administrator
What I've got are worn tings creating a large amount of black smoke coming out of the blow back hose off the crank case upon excelleration.

The motor either needs the crank/piston/rings replaced or a new used motor swapped in.

At best the truck maybe worth 20k.
The fix is at least 10k. I hope to get some firm numbers today.

In the mean time I'm going to put together a ProMaster/ Everest package

Mikey P

Administrator
The mechanic hopes to find a way to filter/ contain the smoke so we can continue to use the truck while we figure out the next move for it..

Thoughts?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
What I've got are worn tings creating a large amount of black smoke coming out of the blow back hose off the crank case upon excelleration.

The motor either needs the crank/piston/rings replaced or a new used motor swapped in.

At best the truck maybe worth 20k.
The fix is at least 10k. I hope to get some firm numbers today.

In the mean time I'm going to put together a ProMaster/ Everest package

20 K the way it sits or 20K after you throw the 10 grand in it?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’d be sure to get the 650 Everest if you take that route. I think the chances of finding a good used engine to replace that are very slim.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Black smoke is fuel related, Blue Smoke is oil related as far as engines go. Have the do a compression test that will tell you if it is pistons or rings.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Black smoke is fuel related, Blue Smoke is oil related as far as engines go. Have the do a compression test that will tell you if it is pistons or rings.
Blow by not good. Marvel mystery oil. Put it in.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I having going through this with my Volkswagen transporter. Wasted a lot of money replacing things that mechanics said we're faulty, still blowing black smoke. Had a backyard mechanic retime my fuel injection pump, replacing the sending unit and fuel line. Running great now but I have already transfered my cleaning unit to different van. Up for sale again. Have a proper diagnosis done. Maybe fly Bawb down there to confirm. If you put the ten grand in, what is the added lifespan compared to $70,000 or so with a new unit?

Reactions: SamIam

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I am selling an 01 Isuzu 15' box with 180k miles. I would be pretty darn happy with 20k.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
I am assuming he talking about the catylitic converter. On Diesels they have a tendency to plug up with carbon especially when they idle alot.

Reactions: DAT

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Wax residue...yeah i get it.. i used to have 2 80s diesel jetta... A little wd40 that cant cure.. i threw the old cat into a solvent bath and that fixed it too..

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think we lucked out..

The gummed up Cat was putting too much back pressure on the engine, causing excessive oil consumption..

Off she goes...Bad kitty!

If I was you..I would move ahead with a different machine...engines don't like to be back lashed that... It's just a matter of time ....at least now maybe you can get ahead of the game before it does blow.... Let the old girl die with dignity

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
OMG, this thread is what someone told the newby this week. This place is half knowledge and half entertainment!!! Then the first half were comedians then turned to mechanics on a dime:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz: What’s a “V”

Back
Top Bottom