Those without IICRC cert, what would you do?

Becker

Name
Becker
So I get a call, past client.

Really liked the work I had done for her in the past. ( 2 years ago )

So she wants to book another cleaning.

She said she got brand new carpet and has a form for me or my tech to fill out.

IICRC cert # required.

PH

HWE only

I've let my certs go years ago.

John Watson

Up to you how you do it.

If I had let my Cert lapse I would still know my number that was issued to me and me alone. I would just put that number down. plus the Ph of the products used and the type of Tm I cleaned with. and be done with it.

Does the form ask if you are currently or have you been previously? Probably not.

I am not a certified firm Though was from 74 till they jumped the price up to over $100 Not interested in being either. I still keep my personal certification dues currant though.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
certified

I had the same thing with a 3m carpet.Only certified cleaners had to fill out paper work and all,they even gave her three names i was the first so i booked the job so being certified has its advantages

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
This is why I'm getting certified. What choice do you think you have?

Becker

Name
Becker
It is with 3m.

I've emailed my old buddy in Spokane, WA at LPM. They have a class May 21st.

There is one in Portland this next week, But I'll be in Vegas.

Kill a few birds with one stone.

Drive over, take the class, I have a girlfriend or family there so no hotel. Go fishing weekend before. ( I'd more than likely be in Spokane that weekend aways, so tax deduction )

To be honest I get asked more and more often about Certs.

Never did back when I did have certs.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
LIE............they will never know and will NEVER find out.

Becker

Name
Becker
I'll leave my TM at home......

Carpet Cleaning

Carpet featuring Scotchgard™ Protector should stay clean 2 - 3 times longer than similar untreated carpet; providing a better appearance with less cleaning. However, when cleaning is needed, hot water extraction is the preferred method because it leaves the least amount of detergent residue.

If you choose to do it yourself, we recommend using the BISSELL® upright deep cleaning machines with the BISSELL deep cleaning formulas with Scotchgard™ Protector. And by applying a topical treatment of Scotchgard Protector, you can revitalize mill-type protection to keep your carpets looking good longer.

We'd prefer that you DO NOT use wet shampoo equipment. Shampooing may not only leave behind a soapy residue that often masks the carpet's protective finish, but it can attract and hold dirt.

Frequency of Cleaning
How often you have your carpet cleaned depends on the amount and kind of use your carpet gets, and the quality of your day-to-day maintenance. In order to maintain your Scotchgard protection 7-Year Limited Stain Warranty, your carpet needs to be hot water extraction cleaned at least once every two years by a professional carpet cleaner. Or, you can deep clean and protect your carpet and satisfy the cleaning requirement of your warranty with the BISSELL Deep Cleaning Formulas with Scotchgard Protector (see warranty for details). Use these formulas in BISSELL upright deep cleaning machines, and you'll protect your carpet and upholstery every time you deep clean.

Why Hot Water Extraction?
Hot water extraction cleaning is the best method for deep cleaning most carpets. It requires the use of a machine that sprays cleaning solution into the carpet pile. The cleaning solution attacks the soil and greasy build-up on the carpet fibers. A powerful vacuum then extracts the solution almost immediately.

For optimal protection, we recommend that Scotchgard Protector be reapplied after every hot water extraction cleaning. If you use a professional cleaner, be sure its reputable professional cleaner.

The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certifies and endorses professional cleaning, restoration and inspection firms that establish and maintain a professional atmosphere in conducting business. These certified firms can be located by calling: The IICRC National Referral Network at (800) 835-4624. The operators will provide up to three referrals for a given postal zip code or city within the U.S. or Canada. For more information and an online referral service, explore the IICRC web site at www.iicrc.org. You can also call the Scotchgard Service Center at 1-800-433-3296 for assistance in selecting a professional cleaner.

Spurling

Its politics .. IICRC probably went to the mill and said , "Hey ya know .. wouldn't it be better if the cleaners knew what they were doing .. therefore you wouldn't have to pay on warranty claims due to the cleaners negligence." The mill says, " yeah .. less claims ..OK customer warranty voided unless cleaned by a certified guy. Wha-la .. IICRC start raking in the dough .. cause pretty soon .. all manufacturers will demand certified cleaners to be sure the cleaner knows what they're doing to reduce claims.
The reason I say its political .. since Ive been certified, I pay a yearly fee to continue to be certified but they don't know for sure if I still remember anything from the 2 day class or the test. So looks like all they care about is if you pass the test, they can collect as long as you want to pay to carry that card.. anyone with a good short term memory can pass the test and then forget as time goes on .. but still be certified.

I think its a good idea to be certified anyway.. should be a yearly test.. there are too many guys who don't really know what they're doing .. although .. once a client uses our company after using one of them ..it pretty much secures a long lasting relationship for us..

TimP

First time I pushed a wand was in the class. And I believe I passed with like 98% I think I missed a few in the safety (I know with all my tests I had trouble with safety) section and maybe with spot cleaning chems or something. It's a very easy test. It's made so that you can be at the level of a 5th grader and pass. Just face it not all carpet cleaners are of high intelligence.

Becker

Name
Becker
The wands in my class were for display.

We did no hands on cleaning.

I think we might have burnt some carpet.

OK, I won't talk down on the class or IICRC anymore, I want to pass.

patch

Why did you let your certs go? Especially in the age of The dreaded GREEN SEAL movement. Now that the mills are starting to harp on it, it might be a good idea to renew.

Besides, there are lots of new stuff and procedures you should be up to date on. It would really suck if you fudged your way into someones home and something happened that caused the client problems and she found out that you weren't certified and had to pay for her own problems. They would become YOUR problems fast I think.

I know that probably won't happen but everyone that plays the lottery long enough becomes a winner in a big way at some point so just be careful whatever you do.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
my certification number is #286, you can use it if you want. :shock:
If they question me I'll tell them I was visiting you! :lol:

Be get certified if you plan on fill out a lot of these, other wise they will put you in IICRC jail! :wink:

Raedan

I believe if you want to kick this industry up a notch or two and separate the people who know what their doing from the "hacks" a good step in that direction is getting certified. Let's face it how many here have taken the courses when you started out? Did you learn anything? Maybe as a group of top notch cleaners you might try working the IICRC from the inside instead of being on the outside complaining. After all you are getting the attention of the distributors and manufacturers. Why not the IICRC.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
They can't require an IICRC certified cleaner. Tell your customer what 3M is trying to do is not legal, and ask if you can a get a copy of the document to send to the Washington State Attorney Generals' office for an opinion.

Even Shaw has instructed their reps to stop telling people about the CF "requirements" as they've been warned in more than one state that the attorney general will bring action against them if they try to enforce that requirement.

I'm disappointed that the IICRC insiders continue to cook up these deals to require buying their certification offerings instead of just selling them on their merits. People hate GreenSeal because they force themselves on everyone. The IICRC is playing the same game.

PS: GreenSeal and IICRC have no connection.

PPS: There isn't a single thing in the carpet cleaning industry that's changed in the last ten years with the exception of equipment. Anything you learned back then is still every bit as valid now. With the exception of a few corrections.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
That has got to be the most asinine thing I have ever read. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong. Am I to understand that a professional carpet cleaner can clean that carpet with his truck mount pro-chems, etc and void the warranty because he's not certified, yet a not certified homeowner can clean the carpet with their bissel and not void the warranty?

Becker

Name
Becker
Yeah do it your self with a Bissle.

Or higher a pro with proper certs.

Yeah I'm lost.

That's like ford requiring a certain grade of oil from the shop, or change it yourself with water.

DevilDog

Just renew your certification. God, do I have to help all of you with just a little common sense!

Jesus H. Christ.

DevilDog

Becker

Name
Becker
Just renew huh.

LOL.

Yes spell it out for me Todd! It would be great.

If registrant lets certification lapse for a period of over twelve (12) months, he or she will be
required to re-attend an approved school, retake exam and pay appropriate fees. If registrant wishes to reinstate certification within
the twelve (12) month period, outstanding fees and fulfillment of continuing education credits will be required. Registrants must
follow the Code of Ethics or be subject to sanctions up to and including loss of certification.

steve r

after i stopped laughing i would ask her if she was happy with my service.then i would educate her on what has been going on,talk with her for a while.really listen to her and answer her questions.

if she insists on an iicrc cert. i would tell her good luck and if i knew of a reputable cleaner who was cert. id give her their number.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It's really a easy solution.......

we are in this business to give the people what they want/need and if we do not...... there will be 5 others waiting in line to pull the rug from under your feet.....

I have generated enough work off of mine to make the fee worth paying.....

just do what you need to do ...get yours back in place and just keep up on it and continue on......

rhyde

Name
rhyde
As Bryan said it's not legal and violates federal law specifically Magnuson-Moss Act specifically the "Tie-In Sales" Provisions

"Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition."

OZ

If you are using a Truck Mount you are CRI approved and certified to
clean carpets.

What a can of worms, Judson

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Our firm and techs are certified and even I still hold onto one, as well as certifications from other industry groups. I don't want to come across as being anti-IICRC, just anti-being forced to do something that I think should be a choice. It's a negative way of doing business that leads to resentment even among people that might otherwise be supporters.

I'd love it if all cleaners decided to join their trade association, we could get some great programs going, but I'd be against any proposal that would make it mandatory.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I wonder how much Bissell and Scotchguard had to pay the be the home cleaner of choice. Bissell can now charge exorbitant prices for their chemicals and equipment.

Follow the money!

Sounds fishy to me.

Doesn't make me want to goose step in line to get forced to get certified.
Should be a way to block this unethical tyranny.

It's not about having carpets cleaned in a proper way.

It's about selling equipment, chemicals, certifications and a way for carpet manufacturers to avoid paying for warranty claims.

Bend over!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom