Thoughts on CDS in a 2500

Name
Matthew Sturgis
My old unit is in the shop every other week for a repair. It is getting to be about time to replace it.

I will be a purchasing a CDS unit. My dad only ran them in 3500 vans. My goal is to pay cash and I need to save where I can.

I have seen the units advertised for a 2500 van, but I wonder if the engine and suspension are strong enough to last. The older unit I have is a 2005 with over 6,000 hours. I need this set up to be reliable and profitable for at least 7 years.

I am just starting to contact and do my research on the Chevy and Hydramaster numbers. I was curious and I thought I would ask to see if you guys had any first hand experience with this set up.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
3500 would have a more robust suspension and brakes
You need that when carrying water

Reactions: Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
They put in beefier suspension upgrade on my 2015, so there’s no difference between the two in regards to tire wear or handling, but that 4.8 motor SUCKS!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
More familiar with Ford vans (ole school, not the eurofaq)
No difference in drive train, brakes and tires on them 3/4 to 1 ton.
Frame is heavier on 1 ton due to allowing dually axle and box options

Company has three Chevy vans
One half ton, two 3/4 (2500)
The 3/4 tons 84,000 GVW
More than enough to carry a TM , hoses, reels and equipment
If carrying 100+ gal of fresh water along with that, I’d opt for one ton .
Otherwise, don’t sweat it

Of the Chevy vans, one’s a 6ltr (?) the other two are smaller V8s.
It’s noticeable in performance ...but not enough to be deal killer if the right clean van came along at the right price

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Matthew Sturgis

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have not had a Chevy full size van, but have had 3 Ford E-250 vans over the years.

I carried 100 gallons of fresh every day in a 3/4 ton Ford E-250 van.

Never had a list (nautical term definition) with full fresh, or any other time. The brakes lasted for at least 6 years, tires lasted for 70,000 miles, tranny lasted 140,000+ miles, never replaced a fuel pump in any of them, and the engine never failed.

So, if the Chevy is comparable to Ford as far as the design (as far as a lot of weight), you should be OK.

PS- I know there aren't of lot of CDS's in Ford vans, so it looks like the Chevy 2500 could work, but the 3500 would be a step up.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get the 4.8 ltr engine. Get the 6.0 ltr engine. 6.0 will give you more power when driving, and I'm sure more heat to the HX'ers.
I have the 2015 2500 Express Extended, 4.8, with the Pro 1200 SE, and it does fine for my demands. (It was the only van available when I bought mine. Biggest mistake i made. Sapphire should have insisted on 6.0 ltr engines only! If you're cleaning a lot of dirty commercial, definitely get the 6.0.

My 2015 2500 Extended Express, with fresh water tank, a Cimex, an Eco 17, an SS Zipper, 2 wands, 2 upholstery tools, 2 or 3 fans, runs well, but eats tires.

But, I'm the only one driving it, and I baby it. I've probably never had the throttle pedal to the floor.

If you have employees that don't give a shit, and jackrabbit starts and stops, it's going to wear on your van quickly.

The biggest complaint is sluggish performance in traffic, and cruising on hilly roads with the 4.8. Especially with the air on all summer.

Reactions: Matthew Sturgis

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get the 4.8 ltr engine. Get the 6.0 ltr engine. 6.0 will give you more power when driving, and I'm sure more heat to the HX'ers.
I have the 2015 2500 Express Extended, 4.8, with the Pro 1200 SE, and it does fine for my demands. (It was the only van available when I bought mine. Biggest mistake i made. Sapphire should have insisted on 6.0 ltr engines only! If you're cleaning a lot of dirty commercial, definitely get the 6.0.

My 2015 2500 Extended Express, with fresh water tank, a Cimex, an Eco 17, an SS Zipper, 2 wands, 2 upholstery tools, 2 or 3 fans, runs well, but eats tires.

But, I'm the only one driving it, and I baby it. I've probably never had the throttle pedal to the floor.

If you have employees that don't give a shit, and jackrabbit starts and stops, it's going to wear on your van quickly.

The biggest complaint is sluggish performance in traffic, and cruising on hilly roads with the 4.8. Especially with the air on all summer.
Do you ever run out of heat?

F

FB7777

I bought the 2500 last year when I purchased a new mid mount Butler

It’s got the 6.0 engine but I can tell the suspension is gonna wear down and sag

I already have my dash lighting up like a pinball machine when we go over bumpy roads. ABS , stabilitrak sensors constantly getting triggered

I think it was a bad decision on my part to save a few grand on lower rated van

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Our Baby Butler that I picked up repo is a 2500 with Butler high heat unit... And 4.7 motor.

I thought the motor would be a downfall... I am really pleasantly surprised!

It smokes the heat like crazy yet! 👍🤘

And I drove it from Kentucky to Grand Rapids MN no problem.

It did great and is doing great for us 😎

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Josh Almanza

Name
Josh Almanza

I have to agree with you. I have a 2017 2500 extended express and already went thru a set of brake pads(dealer told me it comes with 100k brake pads). I also, didn’t get a chance to opt out for the bigger engine. I suppose it works for what I’m currently using it for, mostly residential with a 2017 Pro chem legend gt with an onboard fresh water tank.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I have to agree with you. I have a 2017 2500 extended express and already went thru a set of brake pads(dealer told me it comes with 100k brake pads).
Yeah, we've never changed a brake pad on a Chevy van. Maybe something else wrong in the brake system? Two-foot driver?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom