thunk.

Mikey P

Administrator
what do you do when your best property manager (commercial) calls you two days ago about a 2 day old clean water leak and you could not make it out to help and then calls again, two days later saying he could not find anybody to help so now here it is today, the carpet reeks, no ventilation, won't rip it out, just wants it sucked and have "perfume" applied (his words)

I tried to tell him that ain't going to help with all the water in the concrete subfloor the other day and today and he gets mad and says nevermind...

I hate to piss him off but I also don't want to get into a mold lawsuit.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We are very cautious with that kind of stuff. I'd hate to get involved in a lawsuit over a few hundred, heck even a few thousand dollars.

However if he is a client and seems like he is listening we will do what ever they want provided they sign a Refusal of Recommendations. We are not the Mold Police, it's their property.

If they chose not to do what is needed, they acknowledge the concern and release us from liability, then we do the work. Of course we're not in California either. :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
If your question is leaning more towards - because you couldn't get out there during his first request, when it was within a "safe" timeline, do you automatically become responsible for the additional costs, do you automatically hold the additional liabilities - no, not a chance. Only if you went there, had a work auth signed, and you let it sit for an additional 2 days with a signed work auth in your hand would you hold the liability for the additional work that needed to be done. Their property, their responsibility to find a service provider, you are not that until a work auth is signed.

If it's just a general worry of being sued due to someone asking you to not complete work properly - with the proper paperwork - you can keep yourself from dealing with most legal issues. The way we are set up, we'd have gone in, outlined what needed to be done on paper, outlined what he wanted done, outlined the risk of his request, and had him sign the respective waivers.

On a resi property, that covers you, on a commercial/public property you have to have them specifically "assume the liabilities". In a nutshell - they agree to take on the (potential) liability of a tenant (or anyone of the general public) suing for anything related to services rendered as requested.

We'd have sucked, sprayed his perfume, tallied up services and mailed a bill - just as requested.

Reactions: Mikey P

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I've gotten plenty of those, that don't want to listen, but I've done exactly what "they" asked, and I had a credit card or check in my hand before we started the work. I am shying away from billing anyone at this point, especially on people paying w/ no coverage.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Clean the carpet, perfume it then yank it loose and Charge em rent for blowers and a dehumidifier : )

Back
Top Bottom