Tile advice needed.

Never cleaned anything like this. Imitation marble. It's just tile, but I would think scrubbing with a 175 would not be good.

I could scrub just the grout lines with a grout brush.

What should I avoid?

IMAG0406.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
avoid acids. find out if they used a sanded grout or unsanded.. *pray for unsanded. If its sandless grout then scrub grout line with good neutral to alkaline cleaner being gentle as you do and keep pressures a little lower. avoid any aggressive floor pads or brushes as to not risk dulling the high polish. And afterwards, force dry and use a white pad to or soft bonnet to buff the sheen. Document, document document any possible etched areas or honed traffic lanes and make sure to expliciltly state that cleaning will not restore the polish of the floor.

Mikey P

Administrator
by imitation do you mean Porcelain?

I've seen Porcelain that looks just like that.
If that is the case you really can't screw it up, acid or otherwise.

You should know this stuff by now.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mikey P said:

thats what i was gonna say.....

thats the only other thing i can think that would reflect that much....

What do they want done??

Mikey P said:

Not worried about cleaning solutions. I was more worried about my brush and 175. I like David's advice.

Customer just wants the grout lines cleaned and sealed.

Better to be safe than sorry.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
oops.. I read italtian marble.. whoops
If its high polish porcelain then like Mike said, you really can't screw up. except how soft the grout is or not.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Thin grout lines means more chance for damage from scrubbing and/or pressure. Make sure you inspect the grout and let them know there may be a hole or two unexposed now that may be exposed later. I hate the ultra thin grout lines.

I did the job yesterday. It was unsanded grout.

The grout was actually very dirty. I used prochem tile cleaner boosted with oxy. I scrubed the lines with a grout brush and the dirt really came out. A 175 would have been faster, but I did not have one with me.

The grout cleaned up good, but still there were some places that I guess it was just stained. To be the fair though the grout needs to completely dry before any conclussions can be made, but I know the grout will not be pristine white uniformly. I exlained that to the customer, and told him the only way to achieve that was with color seal. Acid washing would not have that, and the grout was not in the best of shape.

I can post some pics later.

Mikey P

Administrator
How do you know an acid would not have helped?
Did you try? Did you scrub it in?

And what makes you think you'll get color seal to stick to unsanded grout?

No I did not try the acid, but I did a job not long ago that really wasn't dirty. Used alkaline cleaner, scrubbed with 175, and rinsed. Floor looked great, but after drying still a few dark areas but nothing major. I recommended re-cleaning with RENEW. Floor looked the same. Customer was happy and decided to have a clear seal applied.

My personal rental property had some tile that was stained bad. I cleaned it with stripper, oxy, and tile cleaner. Same process above, but did not do squat. I re-cleaned with RENEW and the floor looked brand new. Old English Wood Floor Cleaner was the culprit that caused the staining.

Another job I cleaned with an acid cleaner and the floor looked awful. I went back a few months later and used the stripper solution and it looked perfect.

Every job is different, and I wish one product would work every time, but that just is not the case.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
that is your problem.. bad chemistry... try stone tech restore.. mix it heavy and test hit a grout line first.. least one free of actuel soil.. if its portlain based.. it will fizz and show signs of etching.. if it doesn't then you are most likely dealing with epoxy or possibly urethane grout. And in those cases, the acid will not help. but making blind statements does nothing but show ignorance.. alway.. always.. always test.

Mikey P

Administrator
every tile install is different Dan.

Do not ever assume that what worked on one install, will or wont on another.

Tile setters are always adding additives to pre seal or give the grout strength or flexibility that will effect the clean-ability.

Traces of old topical sealers will keep acids from working too.

Yes testing is necessary. U can tell how good grout will clean just by scrubbing it. Also the floor needs to dry completely because it will not dry at the same rate. I use fans, but still explain to the customer about the drying. After the floor dried completely it looked great.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
U can tell how good grout will clean just by scrubbing it

not true.

lots of time the magic does not happen until the Turbo Steam Chamber does it's trick.

"MAN.....you are pOunDinG...lil danny HARD on ths post...".... :evil:

Is that .."lil bliSter".. on your PeePee...IRRATATING YOU.. :?: ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am confused by the scrubbing with the 175 were you to lazy to just scrub grout lines. That is an easy job you are not going to relinquish your board idiot title shiteatinggrin :roll: anytime soon are you

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I apologize Dan a question is never a bad one, the response is what gave you your rep

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom