Tile & Grout from Hell

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Received a call to do an estimate on cleaning some tile today. Went to the bank (over 15 stories almost all marble hallways except this one end that has ceramic/porcelin tile (on 3rd floor with easy access) that looks like crap. My best guess from looking at the sandstone grout color on the edges and the shine that's on the tile that a janitorial staff litterly put wax or sealer over the dirty grout and tile. The pores of tile are filled with crap just like the grout lines. I could take a key and scratch through to the grout dirt and it came clean without to much mess.

Would stripping this floor leave it just looking like shit or what? Not sure I can get down in the grout lines and I know I can get into all those tiny little pores that are black.

582 sf. Should I just walk from this one?

tile4.jpg

tile2.jpg

tile1.jpg

Name
Bruce
Test 1 or 2 squares to see what kind of results you get, that will give you a better idea of how hard or easy the job will be or if you simply want to walk from the job.

EcoClean

Should be a piece of cake. Use your favorite stripper with a brush on your 175. Extract with a spinner. I would suggest that you mop the stripper down pretty heavy instead of spraying it. I come across this all the time, where the jani company uses wax on tile. Charge accordingly though, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.50 a square.

RickL

The Tile will come clean the problem will be the grout and if they used a VCT wax on it (which they most likely did) the results will be spotty. But like stated above I would do a test area and see make sure you let the test area dry before you make a decision.
I would certainly set the customers expectation levels low concerning the grout.

TimP

RickL said:
The Tile will come clean the problem will be the grout and if they used a VCT wax on it (which they most likely did) the results will be spotty. But like stated above I would do a test area and see make sure you let the test area dry before you make a decision.
I would certainly set the customers expectation levels low concerning the grout.

I have to agree here.

I hear too often throw some stripper on it and all will be fine. I've yet to see grout with wax on it come out half way decent. And yes I have and have tried floor stripper. Once the floor finish penetrates the grout I have yet to see it come out, I could see it maybe coming up if they used a good grout sealer first but in these parts if floor finish is on ceramic that is the grout sealer.....

If you want to do the job make sure you do a test area with floor stripper and a brush or scrub pad and some towels. You don't have to drag equipment in the job to do a test area. If you're satisfied it will come up and be profitable then bid according to what you think it will take to do the job.

My experience says that job is going to be easy if you use the right chems and tools. Mix up some stripper and sodium p in a 5 gallon bucket and flood the floor. Work the solution around. While the solution is sitting scrub all the edges and corners. Use a 175 and tilt it to scrub the grout lines good. Don't rush the scrub. Use a solution tank to keep the floor wet. You should have no problems on this job. I would sell them color seal. Do a demo with a few colors.

650 for clean and clear seal
1,000-1200 for clean and color seal.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
couldnt he strip and then rinse then use viper renew to remove a thin stained layer of grout? plus it would get under some of the possible wax thats still left..

or it could make it look even worse..

i say test it.. price it to make a good profit.. if they bite then u make some green. if not. then you got outa all the hassle..

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
For me, it is 50/50 at best for good results. Sometimes it is easy to be a hero. Other times, you'll wished you turned it down. Offer a demo to show the results, give a price after you see how much work it will be.

tim

I agree with mike, grout in the pores. Use stripper to remove the wax then a strong acid (I have stonetechs restore to be the strongest) to etch the leftover grout

TimP

tim said:
I agree with mike, grout in the pores. Use stripper to remove the wax then a strong acid (I have stonetechs restore to be the strongest) to etch the leftover grout

I haven't seen grout etch with floor finish in the pores......

But that's just me

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
Test a few different strippers/dilution ratios.This is NOT a cleaning situation,more like extreme restorative. Make them aware of this from the onset.Also due to the likeliness of blotchiness, one full strip may not suffice. It is doable, but make sure you charge accordingly.

tim

Timp, what we are saying is the "pores" may have grout in them from the installer not cleaning the floor properly. An acid will help remove the grout from the surfac of the tiles. Stripper to remove the wax

TimP

tim said:
Timp, what we are saying is the "pores" may have grout in them from the installer not cleaning the floor properly. An acid will help remove the grout from the surfac of the tiles. Stripper to remove the wax

I'm affraid I disagree with you. Getting wax/floor finish out of grout isn't always possible. I believe you guys are living in a fantasy world. Using acid ain't gonna do anything unless you get rid of the finish. Good luck once the finish penetrates a 1/16th+ of an inch. Best way to fix at that point is to regrout.

Spurling

I think its funny when people say just walk .. I will only understand that if youre too afraid to charge what you yourself think is too much .. (which I wouldnt understand why you would put a limit or value on it since its not your property) .. how about just price it to make a profit .. unless you really don't know what you're doing.

When you have a severe case, you would want to explain to the customer the possibility of many cleaners wanting to decline the job due to the difficult nature .. but you're willing to help restore it .. you are gonna try to restore it for x amount of dollars .. if it looks good, GREAT! if not, you will try again or something different and charges will apply .. you will charge for every attempt so that you stay profitable .. the customer has a better chance of salvaging the floor with several attempts ..

If everyone walked, the customers options would include accepting the condition that it is in or replacement .. and how much is that gonna cost.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Ma'am, I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm going to charge you. Since you don't know wtf you've been putting on this tile for the last 20 years, I don't know what it's going to take to remove it. I'll let you know the price when I'm finished, it's only $100 per hour.

It may be that it will take three or four attempts to get this right, but it sure is cheaper than replacement. teehee. Does this sound like a good plan for you ma'am.

TimP

Dirk said:
Ma'am, I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm going to charge you. Since you don't know wtf you've been putting on this tile for the last 20 years, I don't know what it's going to take to remove it. I'll let you know the price when I'm finished, it's only $100 per hour.

It may be that it will take three or four attempts to get this right, but it sure is cheaper than replacement. teehee. Does this sound like a good plan for you ma'am.

Exactly!!!

With floor finish removal from tile isn't the problem it's the Grout. Regrouting is easier and much cheaper than replacement. Some people have no concept of how much it would cost to do something right rather than batting blind. To me this thread shows that many tile cleaning guys really have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom