Tile ID

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
This is the bathroom tile in a restaurant account I have.

They have asked me if I can take a swing at it for them.

Gotta start somewhere.

What exactly are we looking at here??

View attachment 4807

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Looks like standard ceramic you find in most restaurants.

A wider shot would be helpful but it doesn't look too tricky.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
That just looks like regular ceramic, filthy ceramic.

Scrub the heck out of it with degreaser or whatever and turbo away.
Mr. clean magic erasers are nice for those hard to reach areas around fixtures.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Sweet.

Unfortunately no turbo, so im planning on going heavy on the scrub……… Porty Hack Style!!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Thats fine, we cleaned like that for 10 years or so.

Hope you have a shop vac at least, gonna be messy for sure.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Cameron is the expert in this, so i would take his word on it being porcelain.

For practical purposes i really only need to know if its man made. Which is about 99.9% of the time in commercial restroom settings HERE.

Name
cameron demille
Porcelain and ceramic are close enough. Treat them the same. Someven man made stuff can be delicate though. When in doubt, test in an inconspicuous area

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
In Mikeys sealer video, he states he seals even ceramic and porcelain the same as any other surface.

From what I have been reading, most ceramic and porcelain do not require sealing, but it sure seems as though if a customer wanted the grout sealed, which they do, it would be alot faster and easier to treat the whole surface, as opposed to only sealing the grout and trying to keep the sealer off the tile……….. so…… any adverse effects in sealing porcelain/ceramic/THIS tile?

Last edited:
Name
cameron demille
I see no point in sealing the tile, but some people do and it works fine for them. I would personally never bother.

I would just use a bottle with a Yorker cap to soak the grout with sealer, wipe the excess off the edges of the tile as you go. It's not as bad as it sounds.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I think when Mike mop seals with cobbs $35.00 a gallon sealer it's more for speed and the grout lines not the actual tile,

You could actually do it on your hands and knees save product and spend more time doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think when Mike mop seals with cobbs $35.00 a gallon sealer it's more for speed and the grout lines not the actual tile,

You could actually do it on your hands and knees save product and spend more time doing it.

so what if I told you......you could seal all the grout lines and not get on your hands and knees to do it...simple ...quick..no drips...you just walk......
saves on your sealer....saves on your back...and saves a hell of a lot of time........

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I hear some guys love grout sticks some hate it cause it can all drain out?

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I would gladly factor an entire gallon into the price to be able to finish faster and to stay upright.

If my profit margin on a job like this cant easialy absorb an extra half gallon of sealer, then I have alot bigger problems.

Last edited:

GroutKleen

Name
David
Why not do a little sample by hand? That way you will know exactly what you are getting into and the customer will have an idea what the final outcome will look like. Great way to see a commercial job.

Back
Top Bottom