Tile pic. Easy job or not?

I need to strip several layers of built up wax off this floor (about 400 sq ft with hall). The job would include stripping, sealing, and several coats of floor finish. Color sealing is out of the question. There is a rubber material the length of the floor on one grout line. I guess my questions are how hard would it be to get this wax off and how much? I do the carpets and several employees carpets every year. Does 350 sound about right?

IMAG02851.jpg

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Im not a tile expert. am i doing something wrong? I thought we were only suppose seal, not apply floor finish on tile.... The job looks easy though daniel.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
why are you going to strip it, if you are going to throw wax back on it? just scrubb the crap out of it with a godd degreaser and thow more finish on top. i say this because from the pics the finish doesnt look in bad shape, but the picture could not be telling the whole truth of the condition of the floor.

Josh Adler

I just ran into this problem acouple weeks ago. depending on how many coats of wax they put on it may take several applications of stripper and aggitating with a 175 to get all the wax off...

Personally i think $350 is low but im also in cali.....

Most guys strip and wax for about 25-35 cents a foot. Anything close to a dollar is decent. I will give the option for a full strip, seal and finish for 400 or clean (scrub), rinse, and apply new finish for 250. How does that sound? The finish isn't that bad really. There are just a few scratches. I am still learning so I appreciate all the advice.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
danielc said:
Most guys strip and wax for about 25-35 cents a foot. Anything close to a dollar is decent. I will give the option for a full strip, seal and finish for 400 or clean (scrub), rinse, and apply new finish for 250. How does that sound? The finish isn't that bad really. There are just a few scratches. I am still learning so I appreciate all the advice.

Do a 4x4 test, than figure it out how long it will take from there, that will give you an idea on what you need to be to turn a profit. Everyone's prices are different when it comes to those type of floors, too many factors.

Well I folded under pressure. I sent the guy an email today giving two options. The first was to just clean/scrub the floor with a cleaner (simple green), rinse, and recoat for 250.

The second was a full strip, seal, and refinish for 400. He called me today and said he wanted me to do the job but got an estimate for 175. If I could match that price, the job was mine. I didn't tell him that was likely for a full strip job. I folded and said I would do the job for 175 (no stripping). As long as I can get done in under 2 hours I should be ok. What can I say? I win some and lose some. Anyways how hard will it be to shower feed my 175 with a floor cleaner, run the sx around, and slap some finish on?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ok dont compare stripping VCT to stripping ceramic tile....thats like saying do apples taste like oranges :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

One is made to be stripped and to have finish put back on, with no GROUT LINES that like to hold wax, and that your brush/pad cant get to...

I have done 1 or 2 ceramic jobs, and the others i dont get cuz of the cost i tell them...4-5 times is what you can plan on stripping them.....That finish grabs the grout, and the ceramic like crazy...its uneven (unlike VCT)

its just a pain in the ass...now if all your gonna do is a scrub and recoat then price wise youll be fine

DO NOT START TO STRIP IT THINKING YOU CAN MAKE IT LOOK BETTER...

scrub, finish and be done with it

Back
Top Bottom