Time to repower. Kohler? Kubota? Kawasaki?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Sixteen year old, water-cooled, 25hp Kohler Aegis runs great, but it's 16 years old. The Aegis series was discontinued a few years ago, but it is rumored that a few remain available. I would like the 30hp model if I can find one. I want more power to turn the Roots 47 blower 1:1 because it's currently under-driven by the 25hp engine.

Would prefer water-cooled to use the current cooler exchangers. But I have extra exhaust exchangers I could use with an air-cooled engine.

Any recommendation for engines will be be appreciated. Want to get this done ASAP.

Reactions: Wandslinger
Name
Lee Stockwell
have no clue about the other two, but the Kubota is the next best thing to the Nissan we had in the Performers. Durable as hell.
He's likely constrained to 2 cylinder "lawnmower" type engines on his machine.

The 4 cylinder Nissan is in a class above, but would require a completely different frame .

Reactions: Johnny

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I've run 4007 blowers 1:1 with 25 hp Kohlers for years, no problem.
He's likely constrained to 2 cylinder "lawnmower" type engines on his machine.

The 4 cylinder Nissan is in a class above, but would require a completely different frame .
I could probably make any engine fit, but more than 30-35 hp would be wasted on a 47 blower, which is plenty for single-wanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleanworks

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Can't find a gas Kubota. Don't want diesel. The Kawasaki 27.5hp liquid-cooled has only a 1 1/8 inch shaft, and I kinda want more than 27.5hp.

So, if I can't find a new old stock 30hp Aegis, I'll prob go with a Kohler Command Pro EFI 35hp (air cooled). And add a second John's Hot Heat Exchangers exhaust HX to help compensate for the loss of the coolant HX. (I've got three. Anyone need one?)

Anyone heard of any problem with Kohler's fuel injection system?

Much obliged.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom