Tire pressure on your van..............

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The door of my van says........... 50 psi in the front and 80 psi in the back..... so everytime i get the tires rotated i have them switch the tire psi around....... Is this right what i am doing?

I have Toyo open country H/T tires on them. 10 ply

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You 're running good tires, but the pressure you choose would vary depending on load. If you have a heavy slide in and drive long runs on the highway closer to 80 might be best. This minimizes sidewall flexing and reduces heat build-up.

Tire sidewalls are factored in by designers as a part of the suspension though. Overhard tires on a lightly loaded van will beat you and the van to pieces. They may also wear quickly in the center of the tread.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I run all mine at 80 with a CDS and full fresh tank, all tools etc.

Able 1

Name
Keith
So... How is the pressure the same in the tire with it on the van or off. !dork!

TimP

Tire pressure should be based on load not side wall max ability.

This is one of my peeves with car shops. I just got new tires on my 03 accord and of course all the tires were at 40. And our new 11 from the dealershiph were at 35 one side and 40 on the other. The sticker in the drivers door tells you what you should inflate your tires to. If you increase load you should increase pressure.

Improper inflation will cause premature wear on your tires. Too high and the middle will wear faster. Too low and the edges will wear faster.

My other peeve with car shops is using an impact wrench to tighten your lug nuts. The proper tool is a torque wrench set to manufacturer specs. Over tightening can cause warping of brakes. And can make it impossible to change out a flat tire in an emergency. And can also cause cross threading and ruin the lugs. It all comes back to being a hack I suppose.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Nothing wrong with an impact driver if used correctly.. start the nuts by hand, not with the impact driver, keep the pressure lower so you don't over tighten, and finish with a torque wrench for correct torque.

TimP

sweendogg said:
Nothing wrong with an impact driver if used correctly.. start the nuts by hand, not with the impact driver, keep the pressure lower so you don't over tighten, and finish with a torque wrench for correct torque.

In an ideal world they would do that. Truth is when they use the impact gun they get it so tight you have to have one to get the lugs off, and that's the fact of the matter.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I agree that auto shops get into too much of a hurry, but I use one the correct way on many applications and its a tremendous time saver.. again if you use it correctly.

Name
Jesse
On my vans that call for 55F & 80R we run 60F & 70R. We Kept having tire failures at 80psi, it is the max. 60psi in front to save the outer edge a little without hurting the shocks and front end.

On the vans that call for 33/37 I run 35/41

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
TimP said:
sweendogg said:

In an ideal world they would do that. Truth is when they use the impact gun they get it so tight you have to have one to get the lugs off, and that's the fact of the matter.

good thing most of the shops around here do it right.....I watch them every time

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
My Express has a darned PSI sensor on it. It irritates me as it goes off when it's 2-3 pounds up or down.

I gave in and got Nitrogen in them so it would shadap.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
While we are one the subject of tire pressure and varrying loads, Is there a proper way to judge or measure if the tire is inflated properly, such as contact area with the road or sag in the sidewall?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uhhhhh a pressure gauge :?: :?: :?: :?:

and of course ALWAYS keep a look at your tires....say when you fill up with gas...

just to make sure nothing looks nasty, or to watch how it wears

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Well, I mean besides a pressure gauge. I have a suburban that says 32 psi in the spec but a few years ago I put BFGoodrich all terrain tires on it and at 32 they looked and felt completely flat. The tire dealer said I had to run 55 psi in them. They wore perfectly even until the end of the tires. My newest set (different type) still looks flat at 32 and squeal when i go around turns. They basically feel too low but I dont know how much i should put in.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
when you see shops using an impact........
notice that it has a short extension.....
these extensions are painted different COLORS..........
each color designates a particular torque.........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom