tm questions with wand?????

PARAMOUNT

im getting a new tm and do to being a newby without lots of funds i come to two of them, just looking for your guys input.
my two choices are chem-tex panther 15 and amtex prowler 315. im looking for heat and cfm that are good and durability ( long lasting). i also looked at steambrite scout but trying to keep everything under 7500. thanks any advice would be good.

simplicity is here to stay.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
should have just bought my Avenger 450 less than 350hrs on it for less than $3500

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
exactly HOW does this Truck Mount, mount......is this a real Truck Mount or jus a truck......bolt-down?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Mike, since you need as much production times as possible I'd probably go with something bigger. Finance what you don't have.

Albert

Farenheit251

Short term savings. Looking long term you will pay less per year for a quality machine with a proven record of dependability while enjoying better cleaning,dry times and production.

ScottM

Name
Scott Moody
Bob,

why don't you just sell one of you 'new'......hmmm.........hmmm re-manufactured SGs?

Name
Jesse
Get a Bane or a OP. SIMPLICITY IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I'd buy a real machine used before I would buy a new toy.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I sol my new 45 already.......still got the brand new 47.....every PART......BRAND NEW!!

Rex Tyus

I know nothing about amtex prowler. The chem tex I can talk about. I will qualify again I have never personally ran one but I have a close friend that has one. It is sitting in a trailer in his shop driveway and has been for a while. In less than 2 years he replaced the pressure pump the blower, the coupling for the blower and engine other miscellaneous problems I cant remember and the final straw was when the heat exchanger went. If the budget is a concern I would wait until you could finance the balance of what you needed. My friend feels as though he threw away the money he spent on the Chemtex. There are other modestly priced manufacturers out there that have GREAT reputations. Chemtex is not one. In fairness I think There is ONE guy out there that has posted he likes his Chemtex. But do some searches of the archives on all the boards before you spend your cash.

Scott Hayward

Mike,

I don't know anything about the machines you are looking at but you mentioned some points that made me think a larger machine would probably be better for you (dry times, reliability, heat, etc.).

You probably already considered this but if not...take a look at all of the used bigger machines on the market. It is a good "buyers" market right now. Look on E-Bay, Craigslist, all of the message boards, etc.

I know $12,495.00 is a lot more than $7500.00 but you might consider Larry Cobb's (Cobb Carpet Supply, TX) machine for $12,495.00
His machines offer a lot for the price and they are simple. Remember
your favorite phrase, "Simplicity is here to stay" or whatever you say.

I own one of Larry's machine with a 31 HP engine and it works just fine and cost a lot less than other machines that have all the bells and whistles.

Last but not least...I thought you were making a lot of money with your $150.00 for the whole house and furniture:) Use that for a machine that won't make you want to shoot it and cost you a lot in repairs.

Scott

TimP

There are many used TM's that are in good condition. You just have to look for them.

Chads

Supportive Member
freeflow E-Z machines might be in your range and he will probally work with you on one if your that tight of a budget. But personally I would try to buy a new judson.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike, I don't know anything about the Prowler.

I have no personal experience with Chem-Tex, but over the years, all the things I've read and heard about them was NOT favorable.

The seem to use good components, but the TMs themselves have a poor reputation for reliability.
I've read all too many posts about experiences just like Rex's friend

are you mechanical?
able to work on TMs?
(or at least mechanical enough to be able to understand and work on your rig)

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
look at the the rest, then look at the best......Steam Genie Direct Drive...brand new....last over twenty years.....

If it don last twenty years...come see me and i will replace it FREE!

ScottM

Name
Scott Moody
Mike,

I would call Les Jones over @ Judson and see if he has any used/reconditioned TNTs available. It would be a solid machine in your price range.

RandyHilburn

I purchased two new Amtex machine this last year and have had lots of trouble with both machines (e.g., El Lobo & Ramforce). The El Lobo (purchased thu Steambrite) was sold to me with a known design defect that threw all the belts within the first 24 hours of service.

I drove the van to Houston (where Ben kept it for two weeks) and he did a major reconfiguration. However, after only 6 additional hours in service, the belts were flying off again. This time, he said that he would trade the El Lobo machine for the "less complicated" Ramforce model. What he didn't tell me was that he was going to charge me $1000 to make the exchange. The Amtex Ramforce model has also been problematic and I can't say that I would purchase another.

Based on my experience, I would say that one of the most important aspects in making a new machine purchasing decision is to buy equipment that can be serviced locally. What good is a warranty, if you have to drive to Houston?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ya Rex..you are a half step ahead of the crowd here.....

But i DO wonder why MOST don see the advantage of a bullet proof Direct Drive PTO unit......NO BREAK DOWNS!20 Years of Service, how can you go wrong?

Greenie

Randy, you been in this gig 25 years, and bought 2 Amtex?

Ain't no question about it, a used unit from a reputable supplier who will support it, is the way to go.

If you don't want used, for not a whole lot more you could have a brand new Nitro from Les Jones.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
PARAMOUNT said:
im getting a new tm and do to being a newby without lots of funds i come to two of them, just looking for your guys input.
my two choices are chem-tex panther 15 and amtex prowler 315. im looking for heat and cfm that are good and durability ( long lasting). i also looked at steambrite scout but trying to keep everything under 7500. thanks any advice would be good.

simplicity is here to stay.

How about a reconditioned (90 day warranty) Hammer system, with:

220,000 BTU boiler (propane)... 230 degrees continuous, measured ATW
Vanguard 16 HP,
overdriven Sutorbilt #3,
Cat 290 w/ clutch,
200 ft. Vac and (new) pressure Hose,
100 ft. Water Hose,
3 hose reels,
and live connections on the Water and Pressure Reels

... for $4,500...?

RandyHilburn

Greenie,

Yep, I did! Ignorance and stupidity are not limited to the young and inexperienced. I'm living proof. In fact, one could tour my shop and find lots of errors in judgment. It's almost funny.

In hindsight, you know, I've been making mistakes all of my life (not limited to cleaning equipment purchases). I could talk for hours about some of the really crazy things I done and/or the purchases I've made and I'm not sure that the Amtex equipment wouldn't rank in the top 100!

In defense of Ben at Amtex, let me say; while my experience with Amtex did not start off too good, we have subsequently worked thru the early equipment problems and today that truck is as productive as most high end equipment out there. Amtex has found a niche market in which to play. Ben is no dummy. Our break-even point for the Amtex equipment was between 50 and 60 operating hours.

Nevertheless, the bottom line is that based on our experience, I just couldn't recommend that an 'upstart company' (outside the Houston area) purchase an Amtex product.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
WHy is a "real" TM a PTO and bolt down not considered a "real" TM?
Some of these bolt downs have a lot of power behind them, they just don't drive the truck as well. Of course, this will bring up the age old question, which is better, PTO or Slide In. :wink:

Name
Jesse
Ron, your either listening to BOb by mistake or confusing the comparison between a mini budget tm and a larger better designed tm.

Of course you can make a big pos like an ace 860 or a small tank like a judson, it just usually works the other way.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Sorry...

My modem was out.

It has 2,200- plus hours on it, if I remember correctly. I'll have to take a look to verify.

It runs like a sewing machine...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom