to make deep business contacts then golfing is a near necess

danpauselius

It has come to my attention that if you want to make deep business contacts then golfing is a near necessity. I think I may have to learn a new trick.

Anybody else pick up golf at an age above 25?

G

I said this a month or two back.. esp if your market is insurance adjuster.

I have numerous club championships.. and let me tell ya.. its 'marketing'.. but not so much for carpet cleaning.. but for WDR.. its big.
Most insurance agents.. golf on Wednesdays...
dont let anyone tell ya different.
If you're trying to wow an adjuster.. take him golfing.. buy a few beers.. his lunch.. and play about 2 strokes worse than him.
He'll love you.

Cleaning is about women... and yes.. while there are women on the course.. its not a market to get to them..

You may sponsor something on 'Womens Day'.. which most courses have once per week.

Just my thoughts on how i use my favorite past time to my advantage.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Steve Dobson said:
Just my thoughts on how i use my favorite past time to my advantage.

Good post Steve,

now are you referring to being around the ladies or playing golf? :lol:

I'm not good at either...... being married, I'll not be doing the lady chasing and I've never touched a golf club in my life..... at 32 I also may have to join Dan and learn a new trick.

Lots of guys I know in our industry (restoration) do the golfing thing.... it just seems to be one of the primary means of lubing the business wheel.

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
John, I'd suggest you start out doing the mini golf championship tours and then move up.
We had a great golf course in Zimbabwe ( at Victoria Falls ) that had real live crocs in some of the ponds on the course and if a monkey stole your ball which was quite common it was a one stroke penalty. When elephants came thru you just had to stop and do some marketing until they were gone.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
Any sport that they make you be quiet while the golfer swings his club and the fact that you must wear slacks - can't be much of a sport.

I can't believe they show it on television.

CL

I just turned 40 on the 14th and picked up golfing last year to become a better friend. I enjoy it alot, but I don't try to be toooo serious about it. Just relax, have fun, and take a few lessons ( they go a long way!!!). :D

G

Dan,

It's not important how good you are at golf. You just need to be able to hit the ball and know golf etiquette. Not only the adjusters but agents love to golf too. Fridays were best for the agents and adjusters around here. They liked the long weekends.

Dave

G

Dan,

I forgot to tell you other options. Some adjusters like to go fishing, I took an adjuster to Nascar silicon speedway. That is a place at the mall where you are in little 1/2 scale race cars and race other people in a video game. I took a lot to lunch.

Ask them what they like to do. Golfing is just 1 option.

Dave

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I started playing about six years ago. I'm 44 now. Its not the easiest game to play for a beginner, but practice makes perfect. Give it 5 years before you give up.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I started a few years back, only played regularly last 2. I play about 20 -9 hole rounds and 15 -18 hole rounds a year. I don't get too much business out of it the only consitent business came after I joined my league and then was the carpet guy for everyone, the bigger the league the better and hang around after for a beer and talk to people.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I took up golf about two years ago. The main reason was because we got an apartment next to a golf course and I met some new friends that played golf.

I'm not very good, but I have fun. Glad to read in the post above that I might get better after five years.

Scott Warrington

GRHeacock

I say forget about hitting the ball at the golf course, and concentrate on getting the cleaning contract at the club house.

This will allow you to have your van there, with it's signage, and the results of your cleaning efforts to be seen by all.

Gary

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
golf is fun. i only play once a year but enjoy it immensely. i always beat everyone and get the highest score.

shooting 115-130 --- Derek.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Hey Dan,

IF you want to take up a new hobby- go for it. BUT I would never start a new time-consuming, difficult and expensive hobby like golf ONLY for the business opportunities it will bring in. Why not?

Most adjusters that our SFS members work with want only one thing- PEACE in the valley. When and if you can guarantee the adjuster that when they guide the loss your way they will never hear from the homeowner again till it is time for the check to be cut and then only to thank them for referring your company- this adjuster will fight to get you work.

Simply put, adjusters want to be able to answer their phone without fear. They want the work done quickly and for you to help them justify your pricing.

Now if you also become golfing buddies in the process wonderful. Just don't let learning golf distract you from your core mission- which is making a Cheerleader out of the homeowner. Making the Cheerleader out of the homeowner will make a Cheerleader out of the adjuster much more effectively than letting him beat you at golf!

My two cents,
Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS In all honesty I have never touched a golf club. However, many of my friends are golfing fanatics. Given my obsessive/ compulsive nature I have always been afraid of "opening Pandora's box" and finding I would love golf too much.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Steve- You say that only because you aren't a golfer.LOL. I agree about not becoming a golfer to get business, but if YOU were a golfer or a motor head etc. etc. you can bet your ass you could justify the cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom