To scrub or not to scrub, that is the question...

Mikey P

Administrator
or

To Rotary Extract or not to R/E that is the question...

cause lets be honest, 90% of the time "we" can put down more/stronger prespray, float the ball to 4 instead of 2 and slow down the wand a bit and she will be just as happy.

but can you live with yourself knowing that you could have done better?

but gotten home later...

when do you decide whip out the hero tools, really?
When do you expect your tech to take it upon themselves to take it up a notch if you aren't looking?

Yes Ken. We know.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It's an entirely subjective matter. The TM industry grew and expanded on the notion that aggitation by a rotary machine was no longer needed because of the superior heat and vacuum and pressure over a portable machine. It was and still is a very attractive idea to the end user. There were many hundreds of times I brought in the heavy Clarke C-15 and never had to use it as my TM wand alone was sufficient.Other times I woundered how anyone could get satisfactory results without some sort of rotary. But in the end, the use of a rotary is the reason I have remained a popular choice for customers for so long.

Reactions: Mikey P

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have only used a rotary scrubber a handful of times, I have a sebo for residential traffic lanes, but I'll pull out the rx 20 if I just know I'm gonna be going over the same area more than once with the wand.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I use either a 175 or a CRB. I can tell the difference. Not in results but in time. Every minuted I scrub is a minute less run time on the tm. A ten minute scrub will reduce the the extraction time ten minutes Almost exactly almost every time and sometimes even more. And I don't have to bump up the chem draw.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
rotary 90% of the time...

Why????

well sure it cleans a bit better...and yes is a little bit slower....

BUT

it saves my back and shoulder (injury) vs using a wand....

I have cleaned emptys that are very clean and wanded.....and have been twice as tired vs if i would have used the 360...

hogjowl

Idiot™
If I had room on my van to carry a rotary around all the time, I'd probably find it necessary to use it on a more frequent basis. As it is, I seldom find the need.

As Art said ... it's "subjective".

Last edited by a moderator:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Wand, Pre Spray, Spray bottle of Jusdson 02 hot sauced and a pole brush get it most of the time. If it looks worse that average I'll set the RotoVac by the front door incase.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
For me it simple, whenever my client pays for the upgrade. My upgraded package includes power scrubbing and speed drying, my basic package does not. I price out both and let the client decide based on their goals for their carpet cleaning and their budget.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Same here once we got our crbs, it is now just part of the process. Ten minutes longer with gaurenteed better results, why wouldn't we scrubb.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Okay help me understand why you would charge extra to use a rotary or CRB machine for the customer?

YOU are being paid to clean their carpet.

Do you tell them up front that if they want it cleaner they can upgrade to you using a machine?

Does a barber say to you that he is going to use a sissors on your hair or would you rather he use a electric hair cutter for an extra charge?

In my opinion YOU are the expert...............YOU decide if the job needs a crb/rotary to help you clean...............and NOT charge extra for it!

People who do this are SCREWING the customer.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Never used a CRB what size and type do you use, we do residential 95%.

I also clean mostly residential. I got the BrushPro 17. I didn't see the machine before I ordered it, the guy from Carpet Cleaner America (importer of the machines) suggested the 17 instead of the 20. It seems to be the right size for working around furniture.

Reactions: Ron K

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
A friggin' hot, hi-flow TM with proper chems and you'll never need a "scrubber". I do keep the RX in the van for the really nasty, long jobs. You ain't gonna get much done in a timely manner with a 300psi, 36 blower machine.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Occasionally, but very rarely, a scrubbing machine is needed. I have a CRB machine (Whittaker GLS) and to tell you the truth it sucks as a scrubber when compared to a good old 175 rotary.

I ran into that once a year job last friday that actually needed scrubbing, and I didn't have my 175 with me (no room on the van) but I simply brushed in the prespray with my grooming brush and went over it a couple of times and it looked fine.

Granted, if I had the 175 on the van, I would have used it ... but if I carried the 175 on the van I would HAVE to use it, because I would have no heat.

Since I would have to take the propane heater out to make room for the 175.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
WE scrub every carpet. But to the defense of the guy that charges extra for it. Carwashes have different cleaning packages. Do you want the wheels hand scrubbed or leave the brake dust on them.

And I am not convinced in any way that a 175 can scrub carpet better. With the right brushes a crb will scrub just as good and be used more often because it is light and easy.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For average size houses 2000 ft and smaller, rotaries are a total pain in ass between cord and no room to move. Especially with stairs involved....
I can see for the guys that focus on affluent market with huge homes.

Plus as long as you have an average truckmount {whatever that is} you shouldnt need one on most jobs.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I had a job where the poly carpet had reoccurring spots from the last cleaner. Presprayed and scrubbed it well with a CRB (15" Whit), I scrubbed her till those spots were gone. Then I rinsed it.
I don't charge extra for the CRB, thats incl in the price. I drop the price, however, if I skip a step.
I don't like rotary. Doug says its easier on his shoulder but I find it harder on mine, plus I need to bring the wand in anyway. Guess if you use the rotary you wouldn't need the CRB.

Lonny

Supportive Member
Ive been lugging my 175 around in houses, almost took out a couple walls slipping on stairs with it. I'm very fortunate to report no incident thus far, but I highly appreciate my crb for the benefit to weight ratio.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom