Today sucked

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I got a second portable on what I thought was a sweet deal so my wife and I would have a backup in case one went down, and an extra on larger commercial jobs if we land them. I have landed some larger commercial jobs according to my standards. We were doing over 4000 square feet at a senior citizens living center today. Endless hallways, main lobby, and a rec room. I got my arse kicked. Have to go back and finish another day because I suck.

My new backup portable went down an hour in. A US Products Pegasus 500h. I got it because it was new/used once, over $2k under retail, and an identical setup to my PEX 500. It wouldn't go above 100 psi. I force purged it with my vac hose multiple times, nothing. Opened it up to see if there was a little inline filter somewhere, couldn't find one. Acorn filter at the bottom of the solution tank is spotless. Called US Products service line and it went to some woman's voicemail. I spoke with Jim on the phone and I must be mistaken looking at this thing. I thought the pressure went up from zero or close to it when it was functioning, and because of that he thought it was an unloader style pressure valve. I'm reading the manual and it says it is a regulator pressure valve. Seems like it hasn't functioned right since I picked it up. I'm handy but this stuff is brand new to me.

I'm working on it tonight. Any tips of what to look for under the hood? I suppose I'm just going to take each line and fitting off one at a time and make sure it is all clean with no obstructions. Is there something to lubricate in the pressure valve or any other parts? Any particular lubricants recommended? Not finding much info at all in the manual I got with it... Frustrating! I have another 4000 square foot commercial job on Friday, then a 3000 square foot one on Monday. And my local mechanic is booked out for weeks too.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
The Pegasus 500h parts list call it a pressure regulator/unloader. The plastic knob just has a spring and shaped metal disk/pin at its base. This is the valve. I read somewhere there is a piston that can be lubricated. But this thing that has a screw head doesn't seem to come out.
1000024603.jpg
1000024602.jpg

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Found the piston. Cleaned and lubricated it and the extractor is still doing the same thing. I think it's a regulator type pressure valve. It hovers around 150 with the pump on and turned all the way up. Pressure with the trigger squeezed is 100 max.
1000024604.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Found the piston. Cleaned and lubricated it and the extractor is still doing the same thing. I think it's a regulator type pressure valve. It hovers around 150 with the pump on and turned all the way up. Pressure with the trigger squeezed is 100 max. View attachment 127274
You may be missing an o-ring or they may be worn. Doesn't look right. You may want to replace the unloader valve. Also the machine may have frozen at some time. There may be a hairline crack in a fitting somewhere. I recently had an issue with one of my portables. Had a hairline crack in an online filter. Only discovered it when it started leaking. Similar symptoms to yours.

• Love
Reactions: Bryce C

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Thanks man! I'll call around and see if I can find a replacement valve somewhere soon. Couldn't find an inline filter anywhere though. Seems like a pretty simple setup in this thing.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
What kind of pump is in it? My guess is a pumptec.
It is an Ametek 500 psi pump. Not sure on other specs. Can look at it more closely when I get home. Driving 3 hours round trip now to pick up an unloader valve a supply place had in stock.

I'm curious, I couldn't find an inline filter anywhere I checked. Is it possible that the inlet to the pump has one that should be inspected?

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Willy P and Cleanworks, I've read some threads here where you guys chat about supercharging your portables. You guys inspire me. This Pegasus 500H has plenty of room around each aspect of its components. I think I'm going to add a 3rd circuit and beef up the pump and vac motors sometime soon. I wired up a small commercial woodshop with 3 phase before, should be able to figure this out..

Last edited:

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
You may be missing an o-ring or they may be worn. Doesn't look right. You may want to replace the unloader valve. Also the machine may have frozen at some time. There may be a hairline crack in a fitting somewhere. I recently had an issue with one of my portables. Had a hairline crack in an online filter. Only discovered it when it started leaking. Similar symptoms to yours.
Got it running this evening. When I picked up the new unloader valve I could feel the tension in the knob was way different. Thanks for the tips 🙏

Back
Top Bottom