Tom F and Jim will be so proud of me..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
but what I'm asking is have you given much thought to what a recognized standard should consist of............
A standard is different than a training course.

Which is a bit of the problem. Cleaning textiles requires quite a bit of "if-this, then-that" and this may be taken out several levels depending on what you're trying to clean, so a standard has to be ridiculously detailed to encompass everything you might run into.

Given all of the variables, this is quite a bit more difficult than writing standards for other industries like, say, electrical work. Those industries will have far larger and more complex standards than the IICRC. Electricians and plumbers are no smarter on average than carpet cleaners, and most don't have a complete grasp of everything in their trade. They mostly know codes and best practices for the part of the industry they work in, so a set of best practices might be more in line with what the cleaning industry really needs.

PS: Wait til you get a look at the S500 Mikey.

F

FB7777

Love this freeze frame

DA69B819-C6DC-492F-BD15-A83E2FDB0CFE.png

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Saiger and DAT

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
There are some errors...

I don’t know why a cleaning standard needs to create a “carpet cleaners chemistry course”.

1st: As Lee pointed out, there is some “MUS” in there that is “residue” from earlier days.

2nd: More importantly, there is no need to expect a cleaning technician....including an owner....to have that depth of knowledge to be a qualified cleaner.

3rd: If the purpose of creating a standard is to establish the WAY things must be done, I can’t fathom the need to create “The Carpet Cleaning Science Book”.

FredC

Village Idiot
I don’t know why a cleaning standard needs to create a “carpet cleaners chemistry course”.

1st: As Lee pointed out, there is some “MUS” in there that is “residue” from earlier days.

2nd: More importantly, there is no need to expect a cleaning technician....including an owner....to have that depth of knowledge to be a qualified cleaner.

3rd: If the purpose of creating a standard is to establish the WAY things must be done, I can’t fathom the need to create “The Carpet Cleaning Science Book”.
:headscratch:

which is why you have separate class/coursework being taught in accordance with the standard

I don't think anyone who has ever passed an IICRC course left with a "depth of knowledge"

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
:headscratch:

which is why you have separate class/coursework being taught in accordance with the standard

I don't think anyone who has ever passed an IICRC course left with a "depth of knowledge"
That's fine if the standard is being written for the certified instructor. Carpet cleaning standards need to be written for the end user.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I agree but the standards seem to be thought of as the training manual. In reality, the standards have nothing to do with the technician
which is why the courses are dumbed down and anyone can pass

though it's been awhile that I've been bored enough to read them, standards are always technical detail orientated

The cct course should be more training orientated to give a newb something of value. But the resulting cert shouldn't be held up as a mark of excellence

FredC

Village Idiot
well, the "new" IICRC wants to simplify this quite a bit, which is dandy.

the nerd influence is pointless.
no it provides a basis for actually understanding the content and a reason/support for any procedures detailed in the standard itself

if you think anything you posted as an example, although some corrections may be needed, is "nerdy" I don't even know what to say..............

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I can dumb it down real good.

better yet. set up a carpet cleaning hot line 24/7 for carpet cleaners at rate of 29.99 per month simply answering yes or no.

example:

dumb carpet cleaner, " Can you ultrapak extreme on wool carpet?"

iicrc certified nerd, "....no"

dumb carpet cleaner, ".....dam it.... Also, my skin is peeling off my hand after using the extreme prespray, is that normal?"

iicrc certified nerd, "...no"

dumb carpet cleaner, "uh...... I think i should go ER.."

iicrc certified nerd, "...yes"

*click

Mikey P

Administrator
no it provides a basis for actually understanding the content and a reason/support for any procedures detailed in the standard itself

if you think anything you posted as an example, although some corrections may be needed, is "nerdy" I don't even know what to say..............

you sound saponificated..

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
The tech who understands what saponification means, realises why they should use high pH and high heat on a restaurant clean.
They can then use that fat and grease to their advantage rather than work against it

Reactions: FredC

Mikey P

Administrator
I've never heard the term until today.

yet I can get 1.6 million f'n people to watch me successfully clean restaurant carpet on the youtubes

FredC

Village Idiot
somebody got scared they would be banned .....lol

edit: and then decided to go ahead

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom