Too Cheap!!!!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I 'pre quoted' this job as it was an out of town job at $300.

After I saved it, the assessor told me he was facing a $15,000 replacement claim :shock:

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

Only took 25 minutes on site and 40 minutes travel each way so just over the $100/hr from my shop return.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
They're burns Albert, little point in trying to 'clean' them.

On wool, sometimes minor areas can effectively be scraped or the small bits of ash broken away with vacuum and look ok, but rare to get an area like that to clean that way.

Also, even if in doubt, repair work is way better and easier dry.

John

John Watson

John, I have been known to ask the adjustor what his options were before I accept jobs, Many times I have been the last resort before replacement. Quite a few times they have tried someone before me. They have told me 10-25 % is acceptable but if they can get it for less why not.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Nice job John! $300 sounds fair to me. If you had charged 10% of replacement I would say that the assessor would think twice before calling you again.

BTW - was the pattern easy to match up? I see a lot of that carpet.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
The title was very much tongue in cheek comment.

I believe like you say Heath, if I did try and hit them up for 10%, it'd be the last job for that company.

This is my third job for them. I've saved two and didn't even attempt the other.

That doesn't mean I don't charge 10% or more at times, but only when I feel I can justify my charges and I'm getting into areas where I'm it and they don't have any other options at all.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Heathrow said:
BTW - was the pattern easy to match up? I see a lot of that carpet.

Sorry, Heath, I missed your question earlier.

These styles are very easy to match up. Because of the varying height, you just count up/down from a given point on both to line them up. I will sometime try and make my cut start at the low point on my primary corner where everything gets calculated from. Then it's a simple matter of finding the lay of the donor, cutting the width of your piece and then finding the same low loop to cut beside for the first cut, sitting it in place or placing the old piece on top to get the same length and make the final cut. Usually nil trimming on these, just stright in.

Free hand baby :mrgreen: Some get sick of me saying that but it's the honest truth. Guys like Craig have also mastered this and I firmly believe it makes for a better and quicker and neater repair. At least when this small anyway.

Thanks for the comments guys.

John

jayjacques

Nice work. I'm mostly automotive, and on occasion do stuff like that too, just not berber of course. Sometimes besides glueing down, I do some blind stitching to secure (if it's in a high use area). This is interesting cuz we're considering offering carpet repair for apartments also.

jayjacques

Mikey P said:
jay

When you say Automotive, just what kinds of Autos do you work on?
Kia or Rolls-royce?

Are suggesting Kia's aren't quite as nice?

Ok I've never worked on a Rolls, but fair amount of Beemers, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. along with all your run-of-the-mills.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Welcome Jay - I have a mercedes to spot clean next week for a good client. Rum and coke tipped over all through the carpet on the back floor. Luckily it missed the LEATHER!
It's one of those "everything is light beige" interiors :roll:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Watch out for those nasty re occuring spills with all that sugar!!!

I'd be encapping with some of that last juice you got at 50:50 as a last step to help prevent it coming back.

Also prewarn that it probably WILL come back and thats another (maybe lesser) charge.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom