Topic for a rainy Sunday..

Mikey P

Administrator
Lets talk truckmount repair.

What brand/model do you own and what has gone wrong with it?
Not worn out but bad design issues or faulty parts

I'll go first.

Butler in a GMC 3500.
Premature cat pump failure.
2 chem pumps gone bad. Prone to failure Prochem design
Shaft seal on blower always coming loose. Weak design
Defective/leaky gas tank and bad fuel pump in GMC.

Vortex/UD1400
Pump clutch came loose and was damaged. Flawed design.
Low water shut off in fresh broke when baffle wall fell over
High Water shut off warps ever 2 years or so and fails
Baffle walls broke loose, leaky welds @ fresh tank. Weak suck design
Xentherm pump leaking oil prematurely.
Prochem chem pump failures (see Butler)
Lots of corrosion in Galvy parts in hose reels that should not have been used.
Upper Xen HX internal failure/leak. Premature

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Mikey P said:
Lets talk truckmount repair.

What brand/model do you own and what has gone wrong with it?
Not worn out but bad design issues or faulty parts

I'll go first.

Butler in a GMC 3500.
Premature cat pump failure.
2 chem pumps gone bad. Prone to failure Prochem design
Shaft seal on blower always coming loose. Weak design
Defective/leaky gas tank and bad fuel pump in GMC.

Vortex/UD1400
Pump clutch came loose and was damaged. Flawed design.
Baffle walls broke loose, leaky welds @ fresh tank. Weak suck design
Xentherm pump leaking oil prematurely.
Prochem chem pump failures (see Butler)
Lots of corrosion in Galvy parts in hose reels that should not have been used.
Upper Xen HX internal failure/leak. Premature

I have ran a PC Genesis 59 for the last 6 years, and the biggest problems were:

1) The APO giving out after 5 years. Not a bad record, though.
2) The steel exhaust elbow breaking off about 2 years ago. It runs from the exhaust manifold to the diverter box. It was Christmas, and PC was down for the holidays, and so was the dealer, so I went to the local plumber supply and got the parts....a 1 1/4 in 45* street el, and a short nipple. They are still holding up.
3) The hose from the HX to the outlets let go about 2 years ago.....galvy fittings also....not hard to have made up, but tough to get to under the TM.

Not bad so far in repairs.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Vortex....

Bad fresh tank....replaced with a round one

bad solution reels......replaced with ones I hung on the vacuum hose reel

Lower HX..good design just a bad idea to wrap it in isolation to hold in the heat and caused it to rust.......replaced HX and installed different heat shield....

replaced all the hoses with stainless fittings...

CDS.....

bad cat pump

bad install...throttle cable like to cut the PTO shaft in half

bad chem pump because you could not shut it off at high pressures and kept blowing it out

waste tank lid was cheap and always cutting gasket

powder coating flaking off

pods always going out of adjustment

engine blew 2 freeze plugs

Name
I'm Rick James
HM Hydracat

Replaced a 4ht heater

2 couplers

replaced both battery wires

Reattached stater wire

2 starters

This is a very simple machine to work on, the engine can be removed in about 10-15 minutes. Most of my issues was when I got it and jon don did a piss poor job going through it when I bought it.

Its ok, I have learned alot about TM and can virtually do all the repair work myself.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bane Clene (2)
broken u-joint inside Moyno water pump, and a few stators replaced. Electric motor burned out. A few pressure regulators. Bad extension cord. Too much vacuum...(jk).

Butler
problematic chevy van rusted out from under it and I didn't feel like switching it into a new van because Butler wouldn't support it.

EZ2547 (2)
coupler issues on one machine, had to realign. Several bent pushrods, bad valve seat. air cleaner bolt sucked into intake ....and eventually piston (Kohler design issue). New carb, because I hate having to tinker with them. Annual heat exchanger leak. Fixed w/ parts from NAPA. Replaced exhaust tubing often. Put it all on a smaller frame to save room in the truck. Ugly, simple, and relatively dependable for the money.

Prochem 405 (3)
preemptively simplified plumbing and exhaust diverter. replaced belts (keep a spare set in truck). Blower to silencer hose. Clogged exhaust hx (bad design). Eliminated.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
AT/UD 1400

Galv hose fittings and in reel rusted pretty early. Had to change all internal hoses for the rust issue clogging my check valves. Have not changed the galv elbows on the reel.

Fresh water shut off float sometimes will not shut off when parked at an angle. Not too many hills here, thank goodness.

Current issue - throttle/rpm variation while running. Started with slight variations (50 rpms) about 9 mths ago. Has now gotten to the point of fluctuating 200 rpms when going from load to no load. I cannot take the vacuum off the tool without being at the truck or the rpm will rev too high. Had AT send me a new throttle switch (not sure that is the name of the part) - the piece connected to the throttle control behind the panel. It needs to get fixed asap.

Other than that, been good for over 2.5 yrs.

Prochem Performer - 18 yrs ago.

Was too young to know how to work on them. Partner did all the work on it.

Prochem Legend - 7 mths

Been good since the initial tune up when I bought it. Harper keeps her running like a top.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
'05 Powerclean Genesis shuts down due to apparent heat issue. Only causes me trouble through the summer. I believe it might be a heat sensitive ECU.

Bjorn

nordic1 no problems in two years only 15 minutes of down time

ZZ001.jpg

ZZ002.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
one of these days we really should sit down and talk about safety cones on the side walk and opening that pool filter up......and most important..cable support at you equipment.....

org_1803962.jpg

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
HM Maxx 470 that was so bad the list of stuff going wrong would take pages. They rebuilt it twice (dealer 250 miles away). The gave me a new machine in exchange. That was a piece of crap and I sold it for 7K with 1200 hours on it (it was about 21K new). On the other hand one of the best machines I have ever owned is a Maxx 450. 3K hours and almost no problems. So far the Judson hasn't broken down but we don't have it hooked up yet. :roll:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim Martin said:
one of these days we really should sit down and talk about safety cones on the side walk and opening that pool filter up......and most important..cable support at you equipment.....

org_1803962.jpg

My god..I am starting to sound like Greenie............... :shock:

Greenie

And....15min. down time in two years...means something failed, what was it, how much to repair etc...?

F'n Vikings....don't see the rhythum of the thread.

If I can find the pic of Moby's slide in when it was new, I'll make a laundry list.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
can am or is it a c-4 or maybe a lunch pail
what is it called les?
900 hrs still tickin
just a wire or two vibrating loose or breaking at the connection
the comode float come apart in fresh water tank one day
had to put it back together
couple sets of belts also[always carry spares]1 set caused from oil leaking out of fill cap on motor replaced o ring in cap
never have lost any down time yet
pretty good so far

tnt unit 10 hrs
oil sending unit in motor was leaking
10 bucks
so far so good

Bjorn

that filter is 2 1/2 inch fittings early Sunday morning who needs safety cones, this ain't Kalifornia

it was thermocouple on the heater

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
can't block a sidewalk here but I as well as others do it, I did it a few weeks ago(illegal parked also) and didn't get a ticket from the cop

Hydra Cat and Spitfire, to much to list always needed fixing

427 boxxer
water box light would blink all the time, they could never fix it was blamed on vibration
several updates from things that would break, belts and exhaust
blower was out of time the day they installed it, had a new blower installed. I traded it in and the guy who bought it has replaced the blower twice
3 way solution valve went out twice

450 MAXX nothing major but the guy who owns it had to replace the heat exchanger and the electronics panel

Thermal Wave II, nothing major, was very happy with it

Vortex
temp gauge sensor
float in the fresh water tank
super swivel on the live hose reel

Name
jack zerkie
First unit was a White not magic Pro 1700 with a 27 hp water cooled unit the motor had a major problem and they didn,t care I even talked to the owner at that time. I was told to talk to Janet in charge. The unit was 6 mths old and she said she would extent the warranty for two years, but couldn,t help me with this issue. I paid cash for the repair myself, then sold the unit. Then came a HM 470D and thats another story and now its gone and life is good and simple now, jack z.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom