Tornado Solution Hose

Mike Draper

Tornado hose........Absolutely hands down the worst hose I've owned. Within weeks of using it started to get bubbles in it. I go through great lengths to keeps my hose from never getting kinks in it, so that wasn't the cause. It's just down right shitty ass western family hose! It's rough as hell too. I can't believe that it lasted the six months it did. I really should have replaces it after 2 months. It was 2x the price of any other hose to. I got the shaft big time on that purchase.

Mike Draper

Oh, and good luck on the warranty. :roll: "It's made for the pressure washing industry" Not carpet cleaning", is what they'll tell ya.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've been using mine for over a year now. I prefer it over the parflex for its flexibility. Its my lead hose. Greenie has the same hose but its called Alpha hose I believe.

Bubbles???? You must have gotten a bad chunk or you're running REALLY hot water!!

Yes, its rough but mine has smoothed down with use and became more usable after I sprayed it with silicon that was provided.

Parflex has its advantages, better insulated, smoother outer surface, but sometimes its a pain to work with (Actually all hoses are a pain at some point!!), only good up to 230F and not as high a pressure rating.
Trade offs

Mike Draper

yeah, I was running hot water, but never went over the temp limit. You must be running about 200 deg to make it last so long. And who is really going to be running 3000psi out of this hose? Any goodyear neptune will out last this crap. I'll put money on it.

hogjowl

Idiot™
If that Parflex is that plastic crap somebody sold me a couple years ago, forget it. After tripping over the coils that wrap around you legs a dozen times, or so, I finally threw that crap in the dumpster and went back to Goodyear.

G

admiralclean said:
If that Parflex is that plastic crap somebody sold me a couple years ago, forget it. After tripping over the coils that wrap around you legs a dozen times, or so, I finally threw that crap in the dumpster and went back to Goodyear.
It is a prefersnce thing again,paraflex is a third of the weight,goes to 230(good enough)1750 psi,if you need more you are in the wrong biz,goodyear will hold up to heat a little better,but you can also get BLACK DEATH,and it too gets wrapped around your vac hose.So it is back to "what do you like"not"what does Marty Mcfly like"

PS-You can use both-Good year coming out of the truck withparafiex at the wand end where it has cooled a little(if you have a lot of heat)

Name
Jesse
I have some sections of Alpha in use, which I believe is the same thing. I've had really inconsistent results with it. 1 piece only lasted 1 month, another 2 months, some 6-9 months, but 2 pieces are still working 1yr + later. My premature failures were all bursts except 1 that died a black death. I prefer the paraflex but it shows obvious dislike for consistent temps over 250.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
With Parflex you can turn down your fire breather 10 degress or so and still get the same heat at the wand. The best thing about IMO is no more worries of making furrow lines into a plush carpet or a poly.

If you are are using lot's of heat, then you will have to cut off a few feet every 6-12 months when it starts to bubble closest to the truck.

You need to run it a good month or so with lot's of heat to get to loosen up, then it starts to behave a lot better.

If you have experienced black death, or almost melted a poly even just once, you will never go back to steel braid ever again.

Of course most guys machines will never get hot enough to have those worries, but then isn't that when you really need a hose that insulates better?

hogjowl

Idiot™
Good year hose does NOT have a coil left from wrapping it around the hose reel.

And, you can reduce the incidence of black death by simply unrolling all of it while cleaning.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The black death is what got me switching from Neptune. Ran a oil burner for a while, never realized what was happening till it was too late. $2200 to replace a carpet, $2000 down the drain for an inconsistent oil burner.

Now I have 200ft of tornado which has been working fine, 120ft of Parflex, also working fine. Had to lead to belay the Parflex when coiling it, keeps it much straighter and easier to run out to the house. Pros and cons to both, wish they could be blended, benefits of both eliminating the negatives.

I run the braided SS telfon hose from my 4HT for about 20ft. By that time the water has cooled a few degrees that its not buggering the other hose. Plus, I will never run at the insane temps of 240+. Everything seems to be cleaning just fine at <240.

Now I am just confused. I am planning on getting a propane heater to use as a booster on some jobs and need a hose that can handle the heat. I like the goodyear as long as it not wrapped up too tight on the reel. If I run the hose live, the first section on the hose reel always ends up breaking down becasue the hose gets bent right behind the connector. If I wrap the hose up wihout using a live swivel and pull off what I need and hook the hose straight to the machine, I never have any problems with the goodyear hose. I ordered some hose from interlink that was unlike any hose I have ever seen. They must have sent me the wrong product. The hose looked to be made from plastic and was very kinky. I sent it back right away.

What hose are most of the guys with super hot truckmounts running?

One more thing about "the black death." I have had this happen to me a couple times if I do not have any jobs for a few days and I have a bad hose. I have always been able to rinse it out of the carpet. Once the black stuff starts comming out, I always disconnect the wand and go outside and key the wand until all of it has been flushed out of the hose and then finish the job. The black stuff rinses very easily from carpet. Why have some of you had to replace the carpet?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have no idea, Daniel. My experience has been the same as yours.

I think those dudes make this shit up because they're drama queens.

Chris A

Name
Chris
LOL, I've been using Parflex on my rig for a while, and although I haven't seen much benefit, I'm used to it now.

Rex Tyus

I like Parflex. Less worry of melting a permanent snake in polyester fibers. Black death hit a wall once and I took the paint off trying to remove it. I was able to rinse it out of the carpet quite easily but the wall was costly. It would have been MUCH worse had it hit an oil painting or some other decorative item.

edit: For full disclosure, I haver never used the Tornado hose. Don't know anything about it. My problem was with the neptune.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
danielc said:
One more thing about "the black death." I have had this happen to me a couple times if I do not have any jobs for a few days and I have a bad hose. I have always been able to rinse it out of the carpet. Once the black stuff starts comming out, I always disconnect the wand and go outside and key the wand until all of it has been flushed out of the hose and then finish the job. The black stuff rinses very easily from carpet. Why have some of you had to replace the carpet?

What came out of my hose was the black vinyl, heated onto the carpet fibres. It would not budge no matter what we did to it. re-rinse, re clean, citrus gel, dry cleaning fluid, solvent. Had a senior inspector out to try and remove it, Nada. Talked to a guy that dyes carpet. He told me once that stuff is on there, its on there!

If you guys were able to remove it, you had your horseshoe in the right place that day! Or it wasn't really black death but some other crud coming through your line.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Maybe you guys are getting better quality neptune hose in the US, but the stuff they sell up here is crap. Good luck getting a year out of it. Especially if your running high temps.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My "black death" experience was black water coming out of my hose. Only happens when the hose starts degrading. I'm sure if I had let it go on for a long time before I replaced it, it would start spitting out the vinyl.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
never used Tornado, but it sounds like just another steel braid CRAP like Ineptune.

I had more failures with Ineptune the year and half we used it than ALL the failures combined in 18 years of using Parflex

because of all the instant burst failures we had when using Ineptune, I'll never trust the CRAP again.

parflex gives obvious warnings LONG before it fails. (and never rupture bursts)
Ineptune is prone to 'splode at any time with out warning

..L.T.A.

T

The Magician

Hey Larry I had alot of problems with neptune. I like the Parker but find its too coily.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The Magician said:
Hey Larry I had alot of problems with neptune. I like the Parker but find its too coily.

I can dig that, Jimmy.
I'd guess small arbor reels (and probably live reels) would keep it from relaxing after a few weeks of use.
and i KNOW it's a PITA/near impossible to hand coil.

But with large arbor non live reel like we use, the memory coiling doesn't seem to be an issue.
Or relaxes enough after use we don't notice a coil prob

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
There isn't a "perfect" hose, but between the two they are both better than Goodyear Neptune.

AS for the coiling, the Parflex is rather easy to coil if you belay it. Coil it one way, then coil it inward. Hard to explain. I can show people at MF. I can take it off the reel almost as fast as the Tornado, but just with more care.
Reeling it up is nice and I like being able to wipe off the outside easily.

Back
Top Bottom