Trailer TM fuel mounting

TimP

Ok so I'm in the process of putting a TM in a trailer (a marty TCS warrior special). I need to mount an LP tank and a fuel tank some how to it. I'd like to see some pictures to get some idea of how I'm going to do this. I have an underbelly LP tank but no fuel tank as of yet.

I've got all the stuff in the trailer, but I'm going to be working on getting it all together and running.

Bob Foster

Slap it on the front of the trailer on the outside where the V is on the frame to the tongue.

TimP

I know that much but the specifics I'm unsure of.

What size, capacity dimensions are best. And this underbelly tank in addtion seems to make the job more difficuilt.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The underbelly tank is not meant to mount onto a trailer.

You need a setup similar to a camper - 2 LP bottles on the tongue of the trailer, tied together with 2 LP hoses, into dual-stage regulator, for more available gas flow, with dual mounting brackets for the trailer tongue.

Check with any RV place, local, or online.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
what is that guys name TOM RAPER. wow bet he's popular with the chicks..

This is a 12 gallon boat gas tank, and 2- 20 lbs lp tanks for a camper.

PictureorVideo002.jpg

PictureorVideo003.jpg

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
IS your TM carb'd or EFI?

If its EFI and you need a fuel return, google overtons, they have fuel tanks in all sizes and the white guys have "vent" which you can adapt down to make a return port - thats if you need one for an EFI.

If not, they have topside tanks too with just the fuel port.

TimP said:
Les where do you buy something like that and how much?

Tim,
I just looked at this website that Shane posted. The prices are very good. I would order my LP system from them. Then I would go to a boat shop and get a twelve gallon boat tank from them. I normally mount the system on angle iron and have the propane bottles and gas tank side by side across the front of the trailer. I will look and see if i have photographs of that. Also, another neat way of doing it is this: Lowes has a big black storage box that you can mount on the tongue and put the boat gas tank and one 20 lb. LP bottle inside it.

DCP01563.jpg

I also had a 421 Boxxer in a 10' trailer and found that a 10 gallon race car tank on the tounge worked well. We bought it from a perfomance car shop in Sacramento called Tognotties. ( not sure about spelling). The tounge works well so you can fill it from either side at a busy fuel station.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
why in the world are you mounting the machine facing out that back, that is a huge waste of space, mount the machine going out the side door!!!! reels to the left side going out the rear, that way your actually can walk in there and use the trailer.

for a tank check out these guys
http://www.coyote-gear.com/12inch.html

I run a 13 gal tank on my trailer, I recommend at least 11 or so gals, I also carry a 1 gal gas can in my tool box so if I run out I can still go another hr or so.

steve g said:
why in the world are you mounting the machine facing out that back, that is a huge waste of space, mount the machine going out the side door!!!! reels to the left side going out the rear, that way your actually can walk in there and use the trailer.

for a tank check out these guys
http://www.coyote-gear.com/12inch.html

I run a 13 gal tank on my trailer, I recommend at least 11 or so gals, I also carry a 1 gal gas can in my tool box so if I run out I can still go another hr or so.

Steve,
The reason that the truclkmount is installed in the trailer the way it is, is when installing a unit in a trailer, it is recommended not to have more than 200 pounds tongue weight. As you can see in the photos, it has a 200 gallon water tank weighing roughly 1600 pounds, plus the large recovery tank capacity of a 120 gallons of a TNT, adding an additional roughly 900 pounds when full. I mount machines in a lot of different configurations. Sometimes guys want to carry a roll of carpet, so I'll move the machine to the front or the reel to the front to give room for the carpet roll. It just depends on how much weight we have to redistribute.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Leslie Judson Jones said:
http://www.coyote-gear.com/12inch.html[/url]

Steve,
The reason that the truclkmount is installed in the trailer the way it is, is when installing a unit in a trailer, it is recommended not to have more than 200 pounds tongue weight. As you can see in the photos, it has a 200 gallon water tank weighing roughly 1600 pounds, plus the large recovery tank capacity of a 120 gallons of a TNT, adding an additional roughly 900 pounds when full. I mount machines in a lot of different configurations. Sometimes guys want to carry a roll of carpet, so I'll move the machine to the front or the reel to the front to give room for the carpet roll. It just depends on how much weight we have to redistribute.[/quote:1vt9bc6r]

just about every trailer I have ever messed with including the uhaul trailers clearly state a minimum of 15% of the load to the front so to meet that spec you need about 400 pounds minimum on the tongue. if this is a problem with the trailer I think you need a different kind of trailer if it can only handle 200 on the tongue, I bet mine fully loaded is at least 700#'s or so. mounting to the back wastes a ton of space, my suggestion is move the unit to the front leave about a foot space to the front wall mainly to be able to work on the machine, mount reels to the left which would leave the water tank to mount right over the axles. it would leave some room to get to chemicals and load equipment. the same can be said for a box truck

Steve, around 200 pounds is what I always do. It just makes it tow better because it doesn't require the vehicle to have air shocks or load springs added to level the vehicle. I've installed a lot of trailers with a lot of differnt configurations. Ths particular install in this phot is a long trailer. I think it was a 16 foot trailer. There is a ton of room in the front of it. You just can't tell in the photograph.

Bob Foster

IMO if you moved the TM up front and it was full of water/waste you are way over the proper tongue weight.

Gary T

just about every trailer I have ever messed with including the uhaul trailers clearly state a minimum of 15% of the load to the front

I believe you may have misread the spec. You want 10%-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue not to exceed the tongue weight rating of the vehicle hitch. You want as much weight as possible near or over the axles. Too little weight on the tongue and there are sway problems. Too much and there can be vehicle handling issues.

Gary T said:
just about every trailer I have ever messed with including the uhaul trailers clearly state a minimum of 15% of the load to the front

I believe you may have misread the spec. You want 10%-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue not to exceed the tongue weight rating of the vehicle hitch. You want as much weight as possible near or over the axles. Too little weight on the tongue and there are sway problems. Too much and there can be vehicle handling issues.

Judson usually stays around 10%. Most setups weigh between 1500 - 2500 lbs. So 200-250 tongue weight, there should be no issues. If you don't have enough tongue weight, every time you go over a bump, the trailer will be trying to pull off the ball. Plus the trailer can get into a bad fishtail in high winds or even just abruptly moving at high speeds. But I think that the worse thing that you can do is have too much tongue weight. It loads the rear of the vehicle and unloads the front. Making the front of the vehicle very light. Again, this is not noticable much, until you are on your way down the road. You are traveling at 75mph. and suddenly you go thru a dip in the road. This dip forces more load than you had on the rear of the vehicle. All of a sudden the front wheels lift off of the road and it's now barrell roll time, so hang on.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I noticed you have a small blue tank under you water pump. What exactly does that do? I also have a 200 gal tank and I go threw a lot of pumps. Will that reserve tank fix that problem?

Gene

TimP

The tank is a bladder tank. You don't really need them, but I think they keep the pressure up and allow you to keep up with flow better. There is one on my HM fresh water tank....if you have longer runs it's probably better to do it that way but I'm no expert.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
in any event a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck should be used to pull these trailer units, because you get much larger brakes and a suspension that can handle the load, I have pulled heavy trailers with half tons and it aint now fun, not to mention 6-7 mpg, 3/4 ton diesel is the best setup, if this is the case 500+ on the tongue should not be an issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom