Trans failure on van

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Have you guys had any issues with your transmissions in your vans going out on you?

I just had my 01 GMC Savanna 2500 Trans go out on me this week, it jerks the heck outta the van when stopped while putting on drive or reverse and tapping the gas, also while driving you can hear metal scrapping w/ other metal(like the sound of a worned brake pad does), the engine light comes on here and there. But now the van barely moves and it's very loud. The engine is fine. Took it to a few shops in town and they all told me it needs to be rebuilt, price for something like this is roughly $1800-$2400. I've seen used ones going for $850-$1400 plus labor in the $500-$900.

Have you ran into this issue before w/ your vehicles? Are there any places you'd recommend I call or check online for an used trans? Junk yards the best bet?

I don't have the $ to rebuild a trans, plus the car is only worth the same cost of rebuilding one. My current vehicle has 133k miles.

Thanks,

Bill

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have a 2005 chevy express 3500. Trans went out.... AAMCO rebuilt it in nashville, tn. Well 2 months later it was binding up not taking off right. took it back. they fixed it. Nashville is an hour away from me btw.. My warranty was up. and it went out again. I didnt want to mess with aamco. (they did do an excellent job im told) My trans guy here put a valve body in it. it was fixed again.. then, broke again. my trans guy toar it apart said it looked like a great rebuild. still same problem.. kept eating 3rd gear clutch plates. Put on a new ECm, didnt work. put on a new wire harness it didnt work. So after 3 more trans shops looking at it. and couldnt find anything wrong with it. (could have been a hairline crack) I bought a used one from a junk yard that came off a penske box truck. and it works great. But to rebuild your transmission it should only cost $1400-1700 no more

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I've called several places and i'm getting $2000-$2400 for rebuilds, used trans at the junk yard are about $850, and the places that will install them are $500-$900 in labor, they're going by the 6-10 hours $60-$90/hour labor charge.

I bought the van @ $2500, but I can't buy anything else right now so I need to at least fix it. If I could rebuilds cheaper i'd do it.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't want to state the obvious here but if you don't have the cash it may be wise to finance a decent 3-4 year old van for around 10k, and make ~$100 payments, if it's barely moving I would say it's really close to imploding...

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
tmdry said:
I've called several places and i'm getting $2000-$2400 for rebuilds, used trans at the junk yard are about $850, and the places that will install them are $500-$900 in labor, they're going by the 6-10 hours $60-$90/hour labor charge.

6-10 hours to swap out a trans is reefreakindiculous. Rent a trans jack and do it yourself in half that time.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I haven't thought about financing a van. The tranny itself is what's almost dying, the van overall is in good shape or I was told but what do I know, I'm not a mechanic either. Would be nice If I could qualify for a $100/month payment. 8)

I'm not a mechanic and not very handy, wish I could do it. I've seen guys that work on the side that do it in the $200-$300 range, but that's not much of a difference if something goes wrong than they disappear.

I've gone on car-parts.com before thanks for the link though, I can only get the ones in my area which are shipped for free to local shops, the other ones that are out of state I'd have to pay shipping, so it totals about the same as if I find something locally.

Thanks for the advices, just wanted to see where I should go with this.

G

My cleaning van is an '89 Dodge and it does that whole 'rev up the gas then slam into gear' thing. Fun, huh?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Is it a power take off (CDS or the likes)
I had a transmission go and have a CDS and I am sure that the power take off contributed to it's shorter life.
Happened a month after the warranty expired.
Here in S.F. it costs more.

But than, here in California, so does breathing.

R

R W

I'm concerned with my 2003 Chevy Express tranny. So far, it's been running good, but sometimes it just slips when taking off from a dead stop....kinda winds up, then catches. I was going to have it power-flushed. Anybody recommend that?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm still saving my pennies so I can fix mine. :(

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Don't get it rebuilt. The best way is to have them install a rebuilt tranny.

My last rebuild didn't last. As they just cobbled it together by installing as few part as necessary.

Should only run $1700-$2200. Bite the bullet or you won't be making any money.

You can make that much money in less than a week.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
I agree there are a lot of bad rebuilders out there, and I've used them before. But if you get a Jasper it is bench tested with a 2 yr warranty. Or go low mileage used.

Thx,
Dale

randy

Name
Randy
R W said:
I'm concerned with my 2003 Chevy Express tranny. So far, it's been running good, but sometimes it just slips when taking off from a dead stop....kinda winds up, then catches. I was going to have it power-flushed. Anybody recommend that?

I do a full transmission service on my vehicles at 50,000 miles and at every 40,000 after that. Drop the pan, new filter and replace fluid. I also really believe in Lucas transmission additive. That goes in at 36,000 and then with every fluid change.
Since adapting those policies it has seemed to benefit me. I also use their oil additive with every oil change after 36,000.
My Ford Aerostar went 230,000 and 14 years before the transmission totally shredded. The junkyard picked it up.
My Chevy had 220,000 when I sold it, the buyer is still cleaning with it.

Original poster: Sorry to hear about this. For some reason this kind of thing always seems to happen at the worst possible time. Sometime I will have to tell you why I really missed my younger sister's wedding. The other day my 2 year old niece inquired if I was born yet when my sister was married, since I wasn't in the pictures. I would go with a Jasper because of the warranty and they can have you squared away fast. They have financing or a credit card maybe ? Hope you are back up soon. Best of luck.

Name
steve snail
I'm a big fan of the transmission flush / service. Just had the Outback done @126K miles and will have the van's transmission and radiator flushed for the first time @30k miles once we get through the holiday rush. Have never had a transmission problem....knock on wood!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I Second LUCASOIL.COM. Lucas oil and tranny additives have kept my clunkers going.

June 2007 My 1994 Ford E150 Transmission(E4OD) started slipping and HARD shifting. I was going on vacation and did not have the money for a tranny. had it serviced at a shop and they said it was toast and wanted 1800 for a rebuild. I remembered my experience with lucas oil treatment and visited there website. They had a product called TRANSMISSION FIX. I read the testimonials and I added 2 bottles to my tranny per the instructions. IT WORKED. I have driven another 20,000 miles and finally bit the bullet and rebuilt the Tranny 11-09 at 165,000 miles. I had time to put away for the rebuild. That is my testimonial for this product. Their products work and gave me extra time to save.

Like I said www.lucasoil.com read the testimonials if you want too. Transmission fix worked for me. It won't hurt it to try it out.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The "regular duty" GM transmission has a history of early failure, but 133k is past the design life so you did OK. I'd vote for buying a rebuilt as well if the rest of the truck is in good shape. You can stop worrying about how troublesome a cheap repair or used trans will be and put your effort into doing a few more jobs to pay for the replacement.

PS: Heat is a tranny killer, so a cooler is cheap insurance, as are 50k services. If you don't have the heavy duty transmission, don't leave the gear selector in OD drive when you're in town. I've been told that the constant hunt between overdrive and the next gear down at 35 to 40 mph does some damage.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
1st off.....Do you have a steady mechanic??? if not get one...sometimes they may help you through a tough time...

2nd and this ties to the 1st....get the jasper and have a regular mechanic do a swap...

I have 2 shops i go to..(1 i swap with and has saved my ass more times then i can count) And it is a MUST to have a regular mechanic, so you know you are not getting hosed

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks for the advices from all.

I had a mechanic in town but he moved out of town and the shop he worked for closed down. I have had my van worked on by another mechanic though, saw him today while I went there to have him look at a friends car. Told him the problems I'm having and he told me to drop it off tomorrow morning. He thinks it might not need a rebuilt or used one, but needs to see offcourse first. I didn't take it to him at first as I was afraid the van would not make it there, but I will go there or try to anyway.

I will check out the lucas trans fix.

Unfortunately credit cards is not an option, but I'm waiting right now to see if I can be approved for a business credit card to help facilitate the cost.

Deff need to make a priority w/ these vans, I bought it with 125k miles few months ago, but overlooked the trans part, I assumed just by going to the local mechanic to see if the van was good was enough.

Went on Jasper's site found the 4L60E for 1750, core charge of 500, the cooler for 120, plus labor. If I have the core(mounted to engine now), will they remove 500 off the bill once the trans is sent back to them?

Thx,

Bill

G

No, the core charge is extra. You pay them for the tranny and core charge up front. When you do the swap and give them the old one they refund the core charge. I guess you could pull the old one take it in when ya get the new one and eliminate the core charge that way...

Greenie

229,000 miles on my 99 chevy, and still rolling strong....long lived MOBY!

So why are some eating tranys at 130K, but I'm still good?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Greenie said:
229,000 miles on my 99 chevy, and still rolling strong....long lived MOBY!

So why are some eating tranys at 130K, but I'm still good?

Like Bryan said, there's 2 GM trans. used in vans, maybe yours is the HD model? Course theres' always exceptions.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
The 4L80E is considered the HD model, used on some vans 2500-3500, and box trucks.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Just got a call from e mechanic, he put the van on the lift and diagnosed it said the trans is fine the problem is the rear diff is bad.
Told me it'll be 1500 for parts n abor for an used one from the junkyard.
Can I have him top it off with oil so its at least driveable till I do the diff?

Bill

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
see why having a good mechanic on speed dial is good? shiteatinggrin

Depends on whats wrong in the rear.....hummmm i had 2 done on a blazer of mine(dont ask on the 1st :x ) they replaced a ring and pinion..and was around 8-900..

when the rear end goes, its gone, no more teeth to drive the vehicle...plus it might do more damage to the drive gears (the ones that turn the wheels)

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I stopped by the place where the van was, and one of his techs took his "earpiece w/ a metal rod" looks similar to what doctors use to hear your heart. He put it next to the diff than next to the end of the trans by the shaft and he told me the noise looked like it was coming from the shaft to the diff but it was indeed the trans, i put the earpiece on and the noise was extremely loud at the end of the trans where it connects to the drive shaft. So they concluded it was the trans. What a week.

The positive side is that the labor is just $350, now I just gotta find a trans. I would've gone with the Jasper but don't think i'll be able to afford that right now. Might have to stick to the used trans from the junkyard, he said they won't charge me if the trans from the yard does not work after they install as sometimes that happens, most other shops told me they would charge me though.

I'll see what happens at this point.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the chaos.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Before you do anything try the transfix. IT could work and buy you some time. AM I TALKING LOUD ENOUGH? HELLO!! I SAID I GOT 2.5 MORE YEARS OUT OF MINE WITH IT!! :shock: $20 AND 30 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME. :| WAIT that did'nt sound right.. :oops:

Last year Geno had to replace a transmission in one of his vans...There was an old guy that owned the tranny shop he said that when you reverse to put it into netruel for five seconds before you put it into drive...He said that will add years to your tranny...Your vans tranny is going one way (in reverse) and then when you put it into drive your reversing the way the gears go and its very hard on trannys....It took a little while to get used to it but its become a habit for me and now I do it without thinking about it....

I have heard that they have had a lot of problems with the 2006 Chevy's. They only used that transmission for one year.....
I wish I would have found that out before I bought a 2006 Chevy....

I hope this information helps and it really doesn't take long to train yourself into pausing in neutral when your reversing....

Back
Top Bottom