Transit 350 suspension

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
I have a little to much weight in the van and she is sagging pretty bad.

Any of you folks had to put bigger springs in?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
not in the eurofaq style vans
But have installed these in others

You'll get a better ride (and adjustable ) with air springs compared to adding steel springs

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Papa John

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
I have air bags in my old van and had a lot of problems with leaking, so wasn't giving them much thought. I'm sure they have a lot better air bags then when I got mine in 2002 though......
Was hoping I could just put some bigger springs in?

Mike.... I have a prochem 650 and a Hydra Cradle in the van

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
Larry, after checking out the link you got me thinking. I was expecting to pay a lot more. I like the idea of a nicer ride because it's terrible right now. Actually dangerous. I'm already over the recommended weight and still don't have none of my tools in. Found this....Amazon product

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
We did insulate and put 3/4 plywood on the walls and 1/2 inch on the ceiling. Also installed some shelves today.

Some weight there but I figured this 350 would handle it.

If I remember I will take a few pics tomorrow and show you this turd.

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
That heavy plywood seems like overkill but shouldn't be a problem weight wise. Perhaps you have broken a spring leaf? Is it an even sag or more on one side?

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
It's even sag.

20190412_200645.jpg 20190412_201540.jpg 20190412_203251.jpg 20190412_203336.jpg

F

FB7777

Too late now, but it appears all the water weight is resting on the rear axle

Side mount probably would have eliminated the sag

On my original 1988 Ford Econoline 150 I had a spring company add a couple leafs. No idea if it's possible or how it would effect the ride

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Can you move the water tank back to sit right over the axle or move it to go out the side door? With just your tank and hoses you have half of your payload sitting behind the rear axle. If you ever get the van swerving the back end will come around on you and flip it. That is why they outlawed schools from using the Ford extended vans to carry students.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
The water tank will come back a foot or so. We have plans to move it and look at some suspension options but I'm thinking were gonna have to move it into a box truck.

I'm sure we can get the van to stop squatting but the safety issue will not get resolved.

The van is gonna have to sit for a few weeks before I can do anything with it as I have a lot of stuff going on. If any of you folks have any other ideas don't be shy.......

Chains

Name
Jerry McMahon
Ended up putting bigger springs in. Much better, I think it's sitting about where it was stock and this pic is with 120 gallons in there.

Still gonna remove the Hydra Cradle. Taking up way to much space, I can't get all my stuff in there.

20190525_014801.jpg 20190525_014818.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
I put a 405 out the back of an extended e350 once.

I loved the layout, but it was a WEE bit squirrelly on our curvy Kentucky roads. I could compensate, but didn't want one of my boys killed driving it.

Changed it shortly

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We put a big Steam Genie in the rear back in the day. Way too squirrelly also. It would fishtail in rain or snow. I'd move it just for safety.

That's a God awful green too. Paint it while you have it out. 😉

Name
Matt Ross
OEM tires are cheap. Get some larger wheels with slightly lower profile tires rated for more weight. The sidewall flex makes them feel horrible stock. Squirly from that. Also as recommended air bags are your friend. The more weight you can move up to distribute between both axles the better. Also if you wont use the spare tire then ditch it. Most people around their service area might just call AAA. Seems like a small thing but 50lbs behind the rear axle makes a difference.

Reactions: The Great Oz

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'll ditto the recommendations about tires. A larger aspect ratio may not fit in the wheels wells, so going up the load rating chart might be in order for the rears. Most one-tons come stock with E-rated (10 ply) tires, so you may want to ask a truck tire shop about G or even H rated tires on that back axle.

Back
Top Bottom