Transition repair

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Property manager needs this fixed.
Would stretching this be the best solution? There is no extra carpet.
I was able to pull it pretty close with my mini stretcher. I should be able to power stretch it far enough to get it back on the transition.
Should I use the old transition strip? Or is it better to replace the strip? It is on a wood sub-floor.
Any other advice or comments would be appreciated.

353244867_1214696238_0.jpg

353245090_1214697096_0.jpg

Scott Rogers

carpet looks in poor over all condition. when power stretching becarful not to go to far and tear or split a seam.

As far as a transition strip. Replace it with a 1 1/2" flatbar. It will protect the edge better as well as give you a little more coverage.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Obviously be careful with the carpet, but also be very ginger when prying the metal up if you plan on resuing the tap down. If its been reused already, it may be very prone to cracking. Once its cracked, its useless. If you deem it salvable, you may consider reinforcing with a few extra nails or screws. Also make sure to cut the pad back. Its hard to tell, but the picture shows that perhaps the pad was over the metal as well. If this is the case, the pad caused the failure as it prevented the pins in the metal from penetraing and gripping the carpet backing. Take the same caution when beating the metal back down to keep from cracking the metal. I disagree with the flat metal only because in this situation it would have tendency to hinge on the carpet and work loose. If nescessary replace with a better quality tap down metal. depending on the area of the transitional doorway. You may have to restretch the entire wall in order to avoid any tension wrinkles when trying to restretch the carpet back into the metal.

John Watson

Double check with your metal supplier, I used to be able to get a clamp down metal that has a 2 1/2 inch foot or base and a 2 inch tap down area. In essance it was equivalant to double stripping with metal. I have some gold left, My supplier quit carring it about 20 years ago and I bought all he had about 10 12 foot sticks. It for sure would solve and repair the problem.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
The carpet is pretty loose. Stretching won't be a problem. The seam in that room doesnt run the same way as this transition. The pad does cover the metal, I thought that was a problem when I saw it. I think I will replace the strip. I will see what the supply house has that will cover more area.
Thanks, and if you guys have more advice, please post it.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
It looks like the padding is overlapping the teeth on the tap down metal. Replace the strip cut the pad to fit the metal. Staple the cushion good than powerstretch to the metal and tap down with a rubber mallet. CRI guidelines state no tackless in front of metals in doorways.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom