Trottle Cable on Vortex 6008

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey fellow Vortex owners. My trottle cable finally gave out today on my Vortex 6008. I had a job this am and everything was fine. Set up for next big job and blower started up fine however the engine rpm wouldn't increase when I turned the knob. I tried several times to no avail. I couldn't see any breakage but the "feel" is that of no cable response. I ended up using the trottle advance in the cab and rigging it so it would not slip. I have another job tonight and will have to rig it again. Does anyone have a reasonable source to order this cable? I don't want to pay the new Blueline folks an inflated price. It is the aircraft type trottle knob.
Whow, this got me to thinking, this would have created some real excitement in a Cessna 152 if this trottle cable would break on a cross country flight! I'm glad my feet were planted on the ground!

Thanks in advance.

Billy
www.cleancarpetwizards.com

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The only other place that I know of that is cheaper is AT....

check it at the linkage under the cab it might of just came loose.....

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well it's 3:11 am and I just got home from last job today. Jim I checked the other end of cable and it actually is working, so it's not broke. When I turn it in there is a flat washer like thing at the other end a little larger than a quater that travels back and forth about 1.5 inches. However it does not make contact with anything so its not performing any certain funtion. I will try to post a couple of pictures. The engine throttle lever that the cable from the cab connects to is just below this flat washer from this other cable. It almost looks as if something is missing about the connection

I can't get the pictures to post[attachment=0:3k8u4hnm]throttle #3.JPG[/attachment:3k8u4hnm]

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks for the pictures Jim. I finally got one to post but I need to down size it and you probably couldn't tell what it was.
I am good out to the 1/2 dollar size flast washer and nut, however, I am missing that L shaped armed off the throttle from the engine so the nut from the cable isn't pushing on anything. I'll check it out after dinner and see if it has broken off or something.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hi Jim,
I checked and my L bracket has snapped off. Is there anyway you can get a front view picture of the bracket or tell me how long it is because I may have to have one made. It looks like it would need to be arouond 2.5 inches in length.

Thanks,
Billy

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It was kinda hard to get a good shot at this but here you go....

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

I really think you would be better off getting a hold of AT and have them send you one..from what I can see it is not just a matter of the flat plate but it looks like it wraps under and attaches to that hex bolt that you can see toward the back......Looks like something that would be pretty hard to make unless you had one in your hand to copy it ...........

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Thanks Jim for the Pictures, these are perfect!

Called Blueline guy I spoke to did not have a clue as to what I was referring to , they referred me to Chuck, called him and we chatted for awhile. He said he doubted that the shop had one because they had to be fabricated and suggested I might have to get one made. I did call AT and Ted was not there but spoke to another guy and he knew exactly what I was talking about and said he would look around and see if they had one and call me back on Friday.

If all else fails I have a welder that seems to be able to weld anything, and I think he could just weld a flange onto the side of the throttle arm assembly if I took it off.

Again thanks for your help with the pictures, I knew something was missing just didn't know what until I seen your pics.

http://www.cleancarpetwizards.com

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Good News !
Corey from AT called me back today as promised. They had a spare throttle arm lever. Since there is actually 2 parts to the assembly I ordered both to make sure I had what I needed when I replace it. Should be here Sat or Mon. $20. total for both parts plus shipping. This really made me feel good about dealing with AeroTech. Manf.

Thanks for your help Jim with the pictures without them I wouldn't have known for sure what I was missing.

http://www.cleancarpetwizards.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom