trouble with carpet

KOOSER55

Yesterday I had a 3x4 ft area that was a huge red dye stain I used the pros choice red releif and it lightened it up alot but i was not able to get it out you could still see the stain.

So then I tried crayons to see what i could do with it. I used white and got the stain to really lighten up but then it looked really white then I tried the lightest brown I had and Yellow I had and they just looked to dark so I gave up. Any advice on what red dye stain removal I could use and I really wou like to learn how to dye carpet even if its a different way Ive practice with the crayons but i cant seem to get it right unless it was a bleached spot

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The first step would be to identify the source of the stain.

Is it from a beverage, medicine, bleeding, bleaching, contact stain etc.

Chads

Supportive Member
I found that I was not getting up as many red stains as I am with a steamer now, Made a big difference for me. I got my steamer at a pawn shop I think its a Crain carpet steamer.

Spurling

I bought a carpet dye kit a couple of years ago for about $300 .. I never did much with it .. I just cant get it right .. so I gave up on it .. its been sitting on the shelf ever since..

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I made an extra $100 at an apt. today dying a bleach spot while my helper cleaned the carpet. Take a class. It is not something you can just do. You have to be taught. I used to work for a guy that does it exclusively. If that red spot wasn't caused by a food dye you'll have to use something different than red remover. Can you do an insert? (patch)

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I suck at coloring too. Definitely wouldn't try that big area with crayons. Use steamer or do an insert. A couple of red dye removers would be good. Sometimes one doesn't work and the other does.

Albert

Chads

Supportive Member
truckmountpics026.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
do they make one more compact than the wagner? That suckers huge!

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Spurling said:
I bought a carpet dye kit a couple of years ago for about $300 .. I never did much with it .. I just cant get it right .. so I gave up on it .. its been sitting on the shelf ever since..

Same here!!

J

jojo bamboo

What about those carpet dye pen sets?
I've been looking/thinking about them
Do they work?

ErikG

Home depot has one in the paint dept by the wall paper stripper 50 bucks as well

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
not every stain can be removed, Koos

some will disappear like magic, most will improve anywhere from a little to a lot, and a few won't budge

here's tips to help though;

Red stain removers don't have a long shelf life in a hot van.
The longer in a hot van, the less effective they are.

if you know/suspect it's going to be a problem stain (most red ones are) apply the red remover juice to dry carpet
(that means don't hit the spot with your pre-spray or run the wand over it first)

steam is safest, but wet towels and iron are faster

..L.T.A.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Steamers.. for a nice compact one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4360372

We have the dye pens and the dye kit. Again its something that really takes a lot of training and have a class to point you in the right direction is very important. You could try some different dye removals or stain magic type product overnight with some siran wrap may do the trick. but if you keep experimenting you inevitably will end up with dye being removed from the carpet if its non solution dyed nylon or polyester.

So either take a class and learn how to patch or learn how to dye. Good luck either way! :mrgreen:

KOOSER55

thank you everyone... I keep hearing about taking a class but i cant find a class around in my area I live in Baltimore Md Ive posted it before but I didnt get any results on where I could take a class at

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
From the looks of it, you have two Jon Don's right up in your neck of the woods. I see one in Philidelphia and one in New Hampshire. I've include the links below. Check out the IICRC classes on both pages. Looks like the next color repair class is in April and the next repair class is in August. Of course there may be classes sooner at other Jon Don locations or Pembertons may have one or two coming up. You may consider taking the carpet cleaning tech class if you have never taken a class before. They can be quite useful in reinforcing your skills.

http://www.jondon.com/stores/salem/

http://www.jondon.com/stores/langhorne/

G

KOOSER55 said:
Yesterday I had a 3x4 ft area that was a huge red dye stain I used the pros choice red releif and it lightened it up alot but i was not able to get it out you could still see the stain.

So then I tried crayons to see what i could do with it. I used white and got the stain to really lighten up but then it looked really white then I tried the lightest brown I had and Yellow I had and they just looked to dark so I gave up. Any advice on what red dye stain removal I could use and I really wou like to learn how to dye carpet even if its a different way Ive practice with the crayons but i cant seem to get it right unless it was a bleached spot

If it was me- I would've rinsed the area first using many dry strokes. Like Larry said, it's important to have the fibers as dry as possible. Then I would've sprayed a portion of the area with Stain Magic and worked it in. If there was no affect to the spot I would then have rinsed the spot, again with many dry strokes. I would then have sprayed some Red Relief on the area and worked it in and then applied the Wagner wallpaper steamer or a DAMP white terri cloth towel with a steam iron set on medium steam on the spot at one minute intervals.

That's what I would've done.

harryhides

Name
Tony
KOOSER55 said:

I agree with Larry.
To attempt to match an area that is 3x4 FEET would take the kind of skill that very few have - I certainly don't.
Start with nickel and dime sized spots and move up to larger sizes as you get better.

Dave Yoakum said:
The first step would be to identify the source of the stain.

This may sound dumb....but whats the best way to know the source if the home owner does not know? Red is red....could you use a PH tester and guess what the stain might be?

Name
Nate W.
blkcobra@cox.net said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":2fs2g9e9]The first step would be to identify the source of the stain.

This may sound dumb....but whats the best way to know the source if the home owner does not know? Red is red....could you use a PH tester and guess what the stain might be?[/quote:2fs2g9e9]

I normally taste it. That narrows it down some. shiteatinggrin

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
blkcobra@cox.net said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":29g6k20b]The first step would be to identify the source of the stain.

This may sound dumb....but whats the best way to know the source if the home owner does not know? Red is red....could you use a PH tester and guess what the stain might be?[/quote:29g6k20b]

With experience you will be able to better identify or at least categorize a stain. Red stains from food coloring look a bit more glossy those from juice. The repair class was the best think I ever did. I have a level of confidence because I know if my attempts at stain removal and color repair fail I have a backup plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom