truck mount

ski1

Name
eric scheibe
looking to buy first truck mount what is a good small one that will fit in a chevy astro

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If you do shoehorn one into an Astro, you'll be severely limited in terms of how much water (and waste) you can carry due to weight.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I don't see the point of an astro... you would be much better off getting a small E-150 Ford and have no problem with installing stuff.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Shawn Forsythe
An Astro is a passenger vehicle, not a very good cargo van. Especially in light of the fact that the van will be loaded 100% of the time. Astros used as CC vehicles will eat brakes, drivetrains and suspension dollars at an accelerated rate. When the Astros first came out, we had many customers opting to use them for fuel savings. Five years later, I don't know of very many of those repeating the exercise.

Name
Marcus
Possibly true about the brakes...but I have had 2 astro vans that get 16-18 mpg compared to full size vans getting 8-10 mpg. Almost double the gas mileage
If it is a cargo van it may have better suspension as mine has lasted to 215 k miles
That 6 cylinder vortex engine is a major plus as my mechanic has told me...should go 200 k
You can also remove the passenger seat and get more room
Also great for backing into small places
Text me if you need more info
The cap
512/868-9008

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Just buy my Chem-tex Panther 20. It's a compact unit with low hours (< 900). It was professionally installed in an '06 Chevy 1500 (big V6). Comes with tanks, reels, hoses, floor wand. I've been asking $14,900 bit I'm willing to listen to reasonable offers. Van only has @ 85K on it. Great shape overall. I just needed a bigger rig with bigger tanks and settled on a Cleanco 47 last Summer. The Chevy sits too much for me to justify the expense of keeping it around.

PM me if interested, thanks!

The Clean Machine

Able 1

Name
Keith
At the last place I worked for before I started carpet cleaning I got a Astro as a company vehicle.. Though the 4.3 engine, that is completely bullet proof(they don't make it anymore because of tree huggers) I could feel the weight when I just had a generator in back.. It would be a waste of time and money to put a truckmount in this size vehicle..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The size of the Rage would allow it to fit but the reality is you need more space for other things. Get a larger van and you'll not regret it. The cleaning business is such that you always need the space to carry other equipment, buffers, spinners, Cimex, Op machine, a portable, extra hose, rugs. Many times an extended van isn't large enough.

A jammed pack little van can be frustrating to work out of, I'd seriously consider larger before you do an install. Then you can carry fresh water another time saver and almost a necessity if you work in cold climates.

Reactions: hogjowl

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A CDS works pretty well in an Astro. I'd guess the smaller PTOs from other manufacturers might as well.

Low weight, low space usage. Since the Astro has been off the market for so long you'd have to check with the PTO manufacturers to see if installation kits are still available.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Possibly true about the brakes...but I have had 2 astro vans that get 16-18 mpg compared to full size vans getting 8-10 mpg. Almost double the gas mileage
If it is a cargo van it may have better suspension as mine has lasted to 215 k miles
That 6 cylinder vortex engine is a major plus as my mechanic has told me...should go 200 k
You can also remove the passenger seat and get more room
Also great for backing into small places
Text me if you need more info
The cap
512/868-9008
Why not just get a half ton express and get all those things with full size space?

Chris A

Name
Chris
At the last place I worked for before I started carpet cleaning I got a Astro as a company vehicle.. Though the 4.3 engine, that is completely bullet proof(they don't make it anymore because of tree huggers) I could feel the weight when I just had a generator in back.. It would be a waste of time and money to put a truckmount in this size vehicle..
Gm still has the 4.3 but now it's direct injected and makes v8 power. Hopefully it will make it into the next generation express which I hope will come out before I die...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom