Truckmount Subframe

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I was thinking about making a subframe to place my truckmount on. Square tubing with gussets out of stainless. I would limit it to 12-14 in. My question is as you raise the weight off the truck you make it less stable. 1400 lbs is a lot of weight to raise up. The higher you raise a load on a forklift the less you can lift safely. It would make the truck less stable in turns I would assume. Any thoughts. I would probably us the drawers to keep my tools in.

Gene

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I was thinking about making a subframe to place my truckmount on. Square tubing with gussets out of stainless. I would limit it to 12-14 in. My question is as you raise the weight off the truck you make it less stable. 1400 lbs is a lot of weight to raise up. The higher you raise a load on a forklift the less you can lift safely. It would make the truck less stable in turns I would assume. Any thoughts. I would probably us the drawers to keep my tools in.

Gene

there is a lot you can raise up and mess around with but your machine is not one of them...way to unstable and god forbid you get into a wreck....not the same as having it secured to the floor..........

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Agree with Jim. That much weight that high would significantly change your center of gravity and make the vehicle less stable.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Idea dead. I'll just raise up the spool. Been gonna do that for years now. Maybe I'll finally get to it.

Gene

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It won't change that much at all to raise 10-12 inches ...and if the framework is secure and the unit is secure on the frame- you have nothing to worry about.

Those of you naysayers probably never had it like that.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
To do a frame is not a big deal. To raise a machine a foot is ridiculous.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Agree with Jim. That much weight that high would significantly change your center of gravity and make the vehicle less stable.
Let me be clearer - I said less stable, not necessarily unstable. Raising the center of gravity increases body roll during lateral G's (the force you feel that pushes you sideways in a turn). It makes your van more 'tippy'. This can be an issue during extreme maneuvers - like cranking the wheel hard right or left at speed trying to miss something, or while fishtailing after a blowout, or when your brakes go out on a hill and a corner is coming up.....

It could make the difference between sliding sideways or going over on your head. In general - you want to keep the COG as low as you can, and be aware of the ramifications if you raise it.

Many lawsuits were brought - and won - because jeeps were rolling over. One of the causes? Higher than normal COG that caught people off guard during extreme maneuvers.

Slalom racers have been known to roll their windows down (!) to get their COG as low as possible to reduce roll and improve handling.....

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
BradFenstermaker
Instead build the drawer on stilts over the machine. Make them pullout on the sides instead of front

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I have nO doubt I could build it strong but it's not a little lawn mower engine mounted to a tank. I saw a picture of someone here that did it with a lighter machine. It looked like it was build on plywood, but not sure about that. I don't really need the space I just like the idea. A tool box right under the machine would be cool.

As far as above it trapping heat would be a problem. I also wouldn't want anything in the way for working on it.

Gene

Reactions: BradFenstermaker

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
It could be done. It would just be the most expensive drawer ever. Not worth the time and money. It would be cool if ss came out with something like that, just saying .

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Look, this is not a lawnmower type truckmount and it is built on a steel frame that is covered with wood and carpet.
This Sprinter has been driven HARD because it gets a lot of dirt/gravel/uneven road twice a day.

IMG_2839_2.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Look, this is not a lawnmower type truckmount and it is built on a steel frame that is covered with wood and carpet.
This Sprinter has been driven HARD because it gets a lot of dirt/gravel/uneven road twice a day.

View attachment 1862

just because you can....does not mean that you should................

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Slalom racers have been known to roll their windows down (!) to get their COG as low as possible to reduce roll and improve handling.....

That may be the answer; if you find yourself flipping over, roll down the window.

Reactions: dgardner

Mike Draper

if your running a box truck as your picture shows, shouldnt be to hard to add extra space above the machine for tools and such.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Zee it looks good. Yours was the one that gave me the idea. My cost to build it would be almost nothing. More time than anything. I have some crazy resources. one of my best friends owns a huge company that builds industrial machines. Almost everything out of stainless. Thermal oxidizers, wet scrubbers ect. I could build something that small out of his scrap. Among other things he is oem for Dwyer and swagelok.

Gene

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom