Trying to decide

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
I am thinking of buying that quad 6.6 vac motor goliath from steambrite along with the adjustable 1200psi watter otter along with a generator to power just two of the vac motors, other two to be powered from home outlets, also would be buy a hard surface spinner tool. I would set psi on water otter to 400psi when cleaning carpet, when doing hard surface cleaning would turn pressure up of course but no need for all four vac motors thus no need for generator either when doing hard surface cleaning. I chose that quad 6.6 vac motor machine because i want the most suction i can get (for carpet cleaning) without having to buy a TM, don't want one, don't need one, am not a full time cleaner. I figure that machine at 106 pounds is light enough to take out of my dodge grand caravan by myself leave it outside, plug into generator for 2 of the motors then run cords for other two motors to home a 3rd for water otter. I'll worry about heat later. I do have a 175 rotary with solution tank and carpet brush, my 175 also has a spray jet and pump so i can either gravity feed solution thru carpet brush onto carpet or turn on the pump and spray, also have a 15inch CRB and a hydroforce injection sprayer, good chems and agitation should make up for lack of heat in my opinion. Opinions and suggestions please

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Think about the cost of the machine, the generator, the long extension cords and no heat and then compare it to an entry level tm. If portability is important, you can always add a little giant 2ht heater on a cart. They now have models that can take 12-1500 psi.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
2700 for the goliath quad 6.6 vac motor machine, 678 for the water otter is only 3378.00 don't need that big a generator to run only two vac motors so allowing 650 price range generator so total would be $4028 allot less then an entry level NEW TM plus a lot cheaper to operate, plus at least as far as the goliath goes anything goes wrong with it i can fix it myself, I do not live close to anyplace to work on a TM should it go down

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
it should work, make sure the machine has an automatic pumpout and auto fill. You will find it easier with some heat. SteamBrite also sells a propane heater designed for the power washing industry that can handle 3000 psi.

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Machine does have auto pump out, waste tank is 26gallon, which i like. However there is no fresh water tank, that is why I would buy the water otter and hook up to outside water faucet. Winters do not get that cold here. If you go to the little giant website they have a nice cart mounted system that is something i would consider in the future

Mikey P

Administrator
Are you going to bring all that into each job or leave it in the truck and run hose?
Have you looked at the Dwell Pro portables? I love their open design and mega performance

Get a RV360i and you'll be able to clean any carpet with ease.

and a Cimex for commercial and you'll be set.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
I plane on leaving it all outside, not necessarily in my truck its just the porty, the water otter and a small generator to operate 2 of the 4 vac motors. Don't need a Cimex, Had one and sold it off a few years ago. I am mostly residential

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Add a RE to most of the current portables and you have a very decent low heat carpet cleaning machine. I would like and would wish that portable manufacturers would add a outlet plug to every portable extractor so users wouldn't have to have the cord to trip over. Cord could be velcroed to pressure hose and vac hose if outlet was on machine.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Add a RE to most of the current portables and you have a very decent low heat carpet cleaning machine. I would like and would wish that portable manufacturers would add a outlet plug to every portable extractor so users wouldn't have to have the cord to trip over. Cord could be velcroed to pressure hose and vac hose if outlet was on machine.
There is often not enough power available to put an outlet on the portable itself. If you want a high performance portable with a 500 psi pump and dual 3 stage vacs and a pump out, that takes just about all the available power on 2 circuits. Adding a Re would need a 3rd power cord. If you are using a Re on a portable, you will probably want autofill/dump because of the larger amount of water you will go through.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
If you want a high performance portable with a 500 psi pump and dual 3 stage vacs and a pump out, that takes just about all the available power on 2 circuits.
Basic portable attached to an RE will clean very well within 2 circuit limit. My point is the outlet should be on the machine. Once circuit for machine 1 circuit for RE

This machine works very well too. http://vanmarequipment.com/vme1318b.php

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

Mark Von*Lay

Name
Mark
That's a great machine.....but I'm going with the Rotovac 1200 ...15/24 with a airhog booster so back up pumpout if needed....and filter built in....360i ...and either the pmf 12 inch wand or mytee wand not sure yet already have a Gen...all I know is I can't wait for next year so the wife and I can hit Nashville and Vegas.....I'm such a wanna B gear whore......but so what, it makes me happy..............oh and something I have noticed it seems portable cleaners talk about blowing breakers or the worry of it.....but I don't see many talking about a distro.....I don't get it just run the 3 or 4 prong adapter to the dryer outlet if needed.....am I missing something?.....anyway ya"all have a great day

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Basic portable attached to an RE will clean very well within 2 circuit limit. My point is the outlet should be on the machine. Once circuit for machine 1 circuit for RE

This machine works very well too. http://vanmarequipment.com/vme1318b.php

Bob, that machine will provide enough vacuum for tiles but not for carpets with a Re. You really need at least 2-3 stage vacuums. usually means 3 cords.

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
If you're going to leave the machine at the door, I'd make sure the suction will be strong enough for 100' of vacuum hose for any bigger houses you get into

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
You really need at least 2-3 stage vacuums. usually means 3 cords.
The video show s the guy cleaning carpet with it...so... like I said 1 cord machine and 1 cord tool... of course it would work.
Not with heat and the pump out and the auto fill porty hacks need... I used the drag tool in the link I posted and a basic portable with 1 cord for years. It's not going to have 500 psi... but it will put down enough water that the occulting brush under the drag tool will get it clean. I'm going to buy one system or the other as a back up in the van.
We are going to have to disagree then :hopeless:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I didn't notice Bob, your link to Vanmar equipment. Now that is equipment that you can probably operate on 1 circuit. I believe the machine may have an outlet for the powerbrush. Best powerbrush I ever owner was a Rug Doctor swing brush. Easy to operate, a little slower than a wand but not too much. Cleaned like stink! These machines are mainly made for the overseas Asian market but recently have been selling locally. For someone that does portable work, that is a nice system.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
For someone that does portable work, that is a nice system.
Wish they still made this machine... the Vanmar is the closest I could find. The Floor tool plugs into the main cleaning unit... not the wall. Which was my original point... they should have a place to plug in a floor tool like a 360i. No swirls and the floor with this tool. Built like a tank... notice the big, thick clear tube running up the handle. Great!
vibra vac.jpg
cleans great...but it's a drag tool... :neutral:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The video show s the guy cleaning carpet with it...so... like I said 1 cord machine and 1 cord tool... of course it would work.
Not with heat and the pump out and the auto fill porty hacks need... I used the drag tool in the link I posted and a basic portable with 1 cord for years. It's not going to have 500 psi... but it will put down enough water that the occulting brush under the drag tool will get it clean. I'm going to buy one system or the other as a back up in the van.
We are going to have to disagree then :hopeless:
Bob, you can't believe what you see in a manufacturers video. That particular machine appears to have only 1 vacuum motor. Will it work? Yes, of course. Will it work good enough to give you acceptable drying times? Probably not. Talk to guys using the same tool on their truck mounts and then compare to what you will get on a 1 vac portable. That Vibra Vac in the picture is still being sold in China. They have a 2 vac motor version using 2 inch plumbing just like the old ones. Although the drag tool may be slower than a wand, it will, imo, clean as well or better than a rotary tool. I used to have the old 12 inch single handle version until it rusted out. The new one is 16 inches and stainless steel. I am really tempted to buy just the powerwand.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
The new one is 16 inches and stainless steel.
My old one was 16 inches and the other one I owned was a 12 inch. I only used the 16 inch (Employees used 12 inch)and it was pretty productive with a helper running back and forth carrying clean water buckets and emptying the dirty water. I really liked the form factor...essentially two hand trucks. Easy to maneuver and take up stairs.
Since I only break a portable out when I have a condo on the upper floor of a high rise or some ridiculously long run for a small job I really would love to find one. The VanMar floor tool is an exact copy except color. They didn't even know they knocked off the original Vibra Vac Rug Doctor. Would love to get one from China in the metal flake glitter blue and chrome. Would thing the Floor tool with different jets and valve would work with truck mounts too.
Maybe someone should engineer a RE that worked with a portable as SS claims in video. Would be a good machine.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
for a modern Vibra Vac, check out icecompanies.com To use it with a tm, you would have to modify the valves and hoses for high pressure and heat but it could be done. Look at the way the jets shear across the carpet. I remember mine was so easy to tilt up on the rear wheels and push forward and when pulling it back you would just put a slight upward pressure, just enough to keep the head sealed on the carpet. With that brush swinging a 2,800 times a minute, you know it's digging up dirt. The original rotovac 360 had a 1 1/2 inch tube and would work not too bad on even a basic portable but all the new ones have 2 inch plumbing. It doesn't make sense to attach a 1 1/2 inch hose to it. The dual motor old rotovac dhx would also work on a basic portable. I'm not sure if they still make those. I have several portables, some basic and some that are high performance. I had to use my basic 2-2stage portable the other day because of a lack of power available and even with just a 4 flow wand, I feel that I am overwetting the carpets. I spent a lot of time doing dry passes. When I use my high performance portable, I clean just like my tm except, I have to fill and empty it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom