Trying to help out a competitor who buggered up 2 chairs

leesenter

He sprayed waterbased protector on these two velvet chairs. There was some drippage and he returned to remove the drips with his truckmount. Now the texture is totally different and has gone flat and shiny.
I tested an area under the cushion with my vapour steamer and even the steamer left marks I can't remove.
Anyone one have a trick of the trade to rub these out or a chemical that may relax the fiber?
http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... =snapfish/

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
What you need is a hard bristled plastic brush and a spray bottle of water. Mist and dig in brush in one direction and then mist and do round circles and then take the cotton pad to dry. Becareful not to hurt the fabric

The other way is reclean in one direction that pulls the nap up and rub with a cotton pad and then horse hair brush. This happens all the time. I go into houses and the last cleaner leaves stripes all over the place. Use the driemaster when doing this

leesenter

We have tried carding brushes, horse hair brush, hard plastic and a pumice stone.
You'll notice that the marks from my vapour steamer are acting funky.
I believe its reacting with the Scotchgard that was sprayed by him.
I need to make the fiber relax and not leave marks.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Jay Coviello posted this over on the "evil empire" board. Maybe it will help.

"I cleaned a "70's era" crushed velvet sofa a local big money customer who runs an interior design company purchased for a client and thought I did everything right.

The cleaning lines simply would not budge. Oh crap.

I did a quick search on ICS, and saw Scott's formula of 1-1.5oz of fabric softener, 16oz of alcohol in a 32 oz sprayer with the rest filled with water.

An hour of application and brush out and the sofa looked great.

Thanks Scott!"

harryhides

Name
Tony
This is what I'd focus on"

"Now the texture is totally different and has gone flat and shiny."

I'd agree with Jeff, re using Scott's formula.
The alcohol may help to break down some of the protector and speed the drying.

Depending on the color of the fabric be careful on the color of the fabric softener used.
Here's a picture of how this purple fabric softener ( Downey ) created a whole new problem for a local cleaner who came to me with similar problem a few yrs ago. He ended up replacing the furniture.

BlueCaplan04.jpg

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Harold did ya just tell the stupid local guy ta go down to the local Goodwill and pick up another 20 year old chair for $20?
Of course you probably don't have stores like that up in kanada.

And that chair is the most high end type of furniture you guys see.

:shock:

leesenter

I fixed the spots under the cushion with the mixture. the pillow browned out.
I have a sneaky feeling its one of these rayon velvets that crush super easy.
Rayon is the scourge of our industry.

My guess is your "friend" used to much chemical in his rinse bottle and the residue caused the fabric to lay in the position last left in.

Then sounds like the protectant was applied without prior cleaning. Then applied to heavy. With velvet type chairs you need to clean all areas or uncleaned areas will show after it dries. A good trick is to use a clean white terry towel and after applying rub it in with towel. Also works great while cleaning.

Not really sure on type of fabric but if water didnt damage then perhaps a clean with water and rapid dry. You could also overspray after clean with a nuetral rinse followed by a white towel wipe down. The nuetral rinse will help soften the fabric and help speed up drying time.

Also i think it might be micro fiber , no?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Is this silk velvet? Rayon velvets usually look like garbage by the time they need cleaning, so just about any reult is acceptable.

If it is silk, you need to apply steam to the nap with no direct pressure on the fabric. Brush very lightly away from the nap direction using a fine stainless wire carding brush. Let dry and groom again when dry.

This takes an immense amount of time, and the customer may or may not accept the results. Very expensive replacement.

An example for the "I clean everything with water" guys.

leesenter

I didn't mention to everyone that my first impression was that he guarded something that already had guard.
Sure enough, it turns out that he applied Stainshield Pro to something with a factory applied Teflon treatment. I believe it didn't adhere and that his truckmount and then my steamer made it somewhat gooey and it set that way.
I have been warned a couple of times by industry brain children that you can't apply guard on top of guard. Good example of why you don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom