Turkish hand knotted rug cleaning

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Customer has this blue Turkish rug with some food spills. I’m thinking test colorfastness, a spritz with Fabset, then light extraction with distilled water. I also open to advice!

F1C45627-2C11-4862-9416-6818258329FC.jpeg 7FD25276-00C0-41C0-94BE-9B4DF606EE6B.jpeg

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
If you just extract it and do several dry strokes its not going to bleed. Those spots look like they’ll come right out. Then groom it

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
They must not care too much about that rug with that cheap ass set a table and chairs on there. Then they are dropping barbecue chicken all over it.
They don’t care about it until you ruin it, then all of a sudden its a family heirloom.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Thanks for the answers.

So..the bit of pedestal in the upper picture is a 1715 Grandfather clock, in pristine shape and should be in a museum. The other sideboards are 1830-ish and the table is custom made. Super nice guy and reasonably comfortable in one of the South’s wealthiest enclaves.
I’ll just use the usual bleach/peroxide mix and see how it goes.

Reactions: Trip Moses

Tom Forsythe

Test for bleeding. If it is stable then you can encapsulate it with brushes suitable for wool. You can extract with a pre-spray around 8 and an acid rinse. You can pick up and send to the local rug washer. The customer can choose between good, better and best cleaning at different price points.

At a rug class several years ago we thoroughly pit-washed one of my favorite rugs. I loved the cleaning. However, when I put the rug back, I did not mention to my family. No one commented on how clean the rug looked compared to previous encapsulation cleanings. We need to remember that some of our customers just want it cleaned and do not notice the difference between good, better or best cleanings.

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Thank you Tom. Also you other guys. I will treat this very gently, as he understands that he is not getting a full-on cleaning the way a rug facility would do.
But as he observed; “In Turkey the women hang them on a clothesline and beat hell out of them. Anything else gets scrubbed with a bar of soap and rinsed with buckets of well water.”
Gotta love a good attitude.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom