Twist in carpet fiber

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I have friends who are replacing some carpet due to a small chimney fire and lots of water to put it out...

They had just installed the carpet 3 years ago. Medium nap, cut pile, off white nylon Shaw carpet. They have no children, no pets and don't have a lot of traffic on it. In their high traffic areas they were noticing a texture change and some matting even prior to the fire.

Their salesperson told them that the texture change was the result of the fiber untwisting. He told them that steaming the carpet would tighten up the twist in the fiber and gave them some sort of scientific reason for it. Mind you it wasn't "steam cleaning" he meant actually steaming the carpet. My friends are both engineers and they used a garment steamer and tested an area and surprise, there was no difference.

The thing is they think the salesman got the information from somewhere and really believes it. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Mikey P

Administrator
I have friends who are replacing some carpet due to a small chimney fire and lots of water to put it out...

They had just installed the carpet 3 years ago. Medium nap, cut pile, off white nylon Shaw carpet. They have no children, no pets and don't have a lot of traffic on it. In their high traffic areas they were noticing a texture change and some matting even prior to the fire.

Their salesperson told them that the texture change was the result of the fiber untwisting. He told them that steaming the carpet would tighten up the twist in the fiber and gave them some sort of scientific reason for it. Mind you it wasn't "steam cleaning" he meant actually steaming the carpet. My friends are both engineers and they used a garment steamer and tested an area and surprise, there was no difference.

The thing is they think the salesman got the information from somewhere and really believes it. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Yep, thats a common wives tale and part of the warranty jargon

Reactions: Zaccattack95

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yes!
And YES it doesn’t work!
From my days in retail, I can tell you there is a disconnect SOMEWHERE between the mill labs and the salesmen. The salesmen are taught, or make up, so much shit that it’s just embarrassing for the retailer. I can’t tell you how many times I sat and listened to mill reps tell me things as gospel truth the I knew from experience were not realistic. It’s no wonder carpet has been losing ground to hard surfaces because the track record for after sales support is full of lies and half truths.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yes!
And YES it doesn’t work!
From my days in retail, I can tell you there is a disconnect SOMEWHERE between the mill labs and the salesmen. The salesmen are taught, or make up, so much shit that it’s just embarrassing for the retailer. I can’t tell you how many times I sat and listened to mill reps tell me things as gospel truth the I knew from experience were not realistic. It’s no wonder carpet has been losing ground to hard surfaces because the track record for after sales support is full of lies and half truths.
very thoughtful

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Yes!
And YES it doesn’t work!

X2

This is why I didn't last a year as a carpet inspector

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The salesmen are taught, or make up, so much shit

how does a carpet salesman wipe his azz?

1641407180572.png

..L.T.A.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
It's not a permanent it resets it only to undo itself over time.
He's a fkn twit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom