two dollar sink adapter replaced freshy

Name
George Valliant
Been rolling without a freshwater tank for over a year now.

In that time i have come across one job i couldn't complete because of no water.

a two dollar sink adapter has completely replaced my need for a freshy.

20140722_124735_zpsbf01c700.jpg

i did find a practical use for it. I converted it to a drip irrigation system & emergency water storage after the concrete guys accidentally ripped out a zone and poured 13 yards of concrete over it. (ignore the sprinter. that's my next project).
20140723_080155_zps2f9e0806.jpg

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I went from 38 years of chasing down spigots to a freshy water pond, 120 gals. I relly never had any problem connecting to water as long as there was pressure and it was turned on (rentals). I do like pulling up to a job and getting started in 5 minutes. Especially will be helpful this winter when looking for a decent water source can be time consuming. This water pond has already made my life easier, especially at all my rentals.

If the pond runs low, we just hook up.

Sorry...photo not edited yet.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
To me, a fresh water tank is not worth the extra wear on brakes and tranny, and lower fuel mileage, and loss of space, in an extended cargo van.

However, an onboard tank might have saved me about half an hour yesterday that I was waiting for a ranch hand to pump more water into the reservoir tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
when that heavy QD and all that brass falls and dents Mrs Phifts designer sink (and it will) we'll see how smart you roll then......
Ace sells an aerator to garden hose adapter for about three bucks...all you need!

Last edited:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
So many fancy Euro faucets around here that won't play with those adapters
Unfortunately true. My porty operation relies on a faucet connection and sometimes I just can't find one that I can use. This is a new phenomenon; for the first 35 years or so I always found aerators that could be removed and fitted with adaptors or utility sinks with common garden hose size fittings. Now my upscale custys have these weird faucets and commercial jobs have unremovable aerators because pot heads would remove them to use the screen for their pipes. There's always the faucet on a hot water tank (which requires special precautions) or as a last resort the outside tap (cold water) which actually works as well in cleaning with dwell of chems and agitation but just doesn't seem right to those of us used to hot water.

Red Green

Name
Red
Over the years I've run both with and without a fresh tank, I never missed not having one but always hated driving with a full one. On my 'new' set up I'm only going to use a small pony tank around 30-40gal just to buffer from the softener (some well-fed homes have very low flow) and for washing down, tank cleaning, etc. Otherwise the new TM will be fed by hose bibs, utility sinks, and as a second to last resort washer hook ups.

Red Green

Name
Red
washer hot water hoses have an expected lifetime of about 8-10 years.......maybe...
when Mrs Phifts washer hose splits and puts two feet of water in her basement......
she'll remember WHO touched it last....!

That is why I do not hook up to the hose or the hot water, but rather the cold water standpipe, and when I do it's a rare 'last resort' with the last time being over three years ago. I also waiver approval on the S&F agreement and again at job completion/inspection, not to mention I maintain good insurance. Hooking up at a sink or exterior bib, opening clean outs to dump, using custy elec, laying dozens of feet of hoses, creating wet floors, etc, all open up liability. Heck so does even just walking in the door.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
I actually wasn't. I've used them at a camp ground to fill my fifthwheel, seems like you could use it if you were in a pinch. Thoughts?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I actually wasn't. I've used them at a camp ground to fill my fifthwheel, seems like you could use it if you were in a pinch. Thoughts?

NOT inside a custys home.......
my city has 40 lbs water pressure which would blow that thing off like a toy...

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Lee Stockwell
Only good for zero back pressure situations, and where you don't turn your back on it.

Perhaps filling a porty or a bucket. Even with the optional hose clamp it WILL eventually blow off.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
in almost 20 yrs.....MAYBE 5 times i have had issues.....

and OMG what is that contraption you have hooked to that faucet???

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I am always surprised to hear that alot of guys still hook up live to a faucet inside a residential customers home.
I can honestly say I will probably never do it again.

With so many things that can go wrong, and so many near disasters in the past, I found myself a nervous wreck everytime it was done.

Never again.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I am always surprised to hear that alot of guys still hook up live to a faucet inside a residential customers home.
I can honestly say I will probably never do it again.

With so many things that can go wrong, and so many near disasters in the past, I found myself a nervous wreck everytime it was done.

Never again.

I don't know how many thousands of times I have done it over the years and I still do it just about every day, several times even. With proper precautions it's as safe as anything else we do in a home. That is to say, just pay attention and be careful.

Reactions: JS41035
J

JS41035

I don't know how many thousands of times I have done it over the years and I still do it just about every day, several times even. With proper precautions it's as safe as anything else we do in a home. That is to say, just pay attention and be careful.

Gosh me to. On board water is great. But hooking up to a sink is not hard. It is not dangerous. If you have a slight leak throw a towel over the connection and get working.
Some swanky houses have sinks that adapters won't work on. But those houses have water hookups outside.
99.9 percent of the time I have even had to use an adapter has been on rentals. Or commercial jobs that really don't care.
230 degree water at 400 psi,running through a living room. Worry about that. Don't sweat an adapter.

Reactions: Becker
Name
Fred H
Unfortunately true. My porty operation relies on a faucet connection and sometimes I just can't find one that I can use. This is a new phenomenon; for the first 35 years or so I always found aerators that could be removed and fitted with adaptors or utility sinks with common garden hose size fittings. Now my upscale custys have these weird faucets and commercial jobs have unremovable aerators because pot heads would remove them to use the screen for their pipes. There's always the faucet on a hot water tank (which requires special precautions) or as a last resort the outside tap (cold water) which actually works as well in cleaning with dwell of chems and agitation but just doesn't seem right to those of us used to hot water.

I have encountered the same situation and did some research here is what I found.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/product...1tMnf!-1118638764!-509721246?isPunchout=false

http://www.nrgsavers.com/aerator.htm

Reactions: Art Kelley

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Many times I have had the adapter come completely off while the sinks on full blast, with the slightest movement of the hose. Granted it was always due to weak sink threads, but in the end, the fault lies with me regardless of the reason.

I also found that leaks not present at first can slowly manifest due to the hot water expanding the fittings and spray across the room, of course, alway when no one is there to see it. A slight leak can even take longer to notice if it snakes down the outside of the hose, and then the water runs somewhere unnoticed until it builds up.

Several times I have even had an adapter leak spray the water up into the faucet neck and down into the vanity, only to be noticed when it started coming out of the front doors, and by then of course it's too late.

NYC water pressure can be VERY high and erratic, especially on the lower floors of tall buildings being gravity fed from large roof top water tanks.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The leak back thru the vanity faucet won't happen if you stack BOTH supplied black washers.

So happy I carry on board water.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Yes perhaps on the brakes, replace front pads every year $68.

The last two transmissions were nine years ago on vans without onboard water.

Murphy's law, both vans within 4 days. Go figure.

Becker

Name
Becker
You can also pick one of these up for the faucets that aren't threaded. They were designed to hook to an unthreaded spigot

View attachment 5171

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-thief/4690

The thing might work if you have no back pressure. Once the mix tank fills that thing will pop off!

I had a water tank years ago, it was nice, but often did not use it.

I run tankless now on both vans, water is super soft here, supply is available almost all the time, if not I do the sink or laundry, or even a hot water tank in the garage ( again super soft water really no deposits. ) I personally dont see the need for a tank, but I don't do apts, nearly all single family homes, water source right along side garage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom