Typical upscale home in my area, or why I'll never buy a truckmount

but desperately need to upgrade the rug plant and hard floor care lines.

If they have carpet, it looks like this and they can't afford to spend $100-125 to get the place cleaned unless the dog or cat really pissed it up... This probably represents the 30-40th percentile and looks like my typical residential customer.
http://www.hvtours.net/slideshow.aspx?id=1885463&rand=yes
because the mortgage, taxes, fees and utilities probably takes up 50% of the owner's pre-tax income it has to be really bad...

But you will not find one stitch of wall-to-wall in a home where they can actually afford carpet cleaning. This home probably represents the 80-90th percentile in my market, not the 90-100 percentile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ0DI0w2SBg

Chris A

Name
Chris
Lol, just clicked you're link, so you're saying that people in your market either live in a shitty townhouse or a 7,000 square foot monster? No 4 bed/2.5 bath Ryan's in you're hood?

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

Lol, just clicked you're link, so you're saying that people in your market either live in a shitty townhouse or a 7,000 square foot monster? No 4 bed/2.5 bath Ryan's in you're hood?
My thought as well, you just illustrated two extreme examples.

Both could be potentially profitable customers btw, with an owner that values clean carpet, upholstery , area rugs , tile and hardwood flooring

My typical customer lives in a colonial, cape or raised ranch style home with roughly 2000 square feet of living space

Reactions: TomKing and Chris A

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
[h=2]or why I'll never buy a truckmount[/h]

Peter, do you clean with a porty?
Not to sidetrack your thread, but a porty will take longer/way more work. Maybe that's why you hate your job?:stir:

Maybe focus on tile if the fancy homes have no carpet?

Reactions: TomKing
I am very seriously considering giving up. I've been at this full time for 2.5 years and moonlighting another 2. My work in residential cleaning could be described as absolute failure.
If it wasn't for commercial work, which is more VCT and tile and grout, I'd be dead. I do tile and grout with my 175 or auto scrubber and melamine floor pads.
Before you say that is the wrong way, just today, 7am until noon, I cleaned the porcelain tile at an Italian restaurant, about 2,500 sf. $250 for 5 hours work. Not awesome, but I can live with it. I pre-sprayed with degreaser, then autoscrubbed with plain cold water. I've been doing this place the first Sunday AM of the month for over 2 years now.

Yesterday, I had a conversation with one of my aldermen. He is a friend, former co-worker and lives just around the corner. We talked about the recent boom in rental properties in the market. In the past year, a city of 25,000 we added about 100 rental units. An existing development added about 50 upscale units and across the street a new place built about 50 with another 50 to be completed this year. The cheapest rent? $1150 per month for a 1 bedroom. I went to the one still under construction last month pretending to be a renter. One bedrooms were $1200-1250 per month. Two bedrooms were $1400-1550 per month. I nicknamed this complex "laminate city" for the laminate and "luxury vinyl" flooring. No wall-to-wall to be found. All the three bedroom units were already rented before they were done. This leaves me confused.

As for owned homes, you have homes built with maple strip flooring c.1925-1975. These homes are like my own home, they make up about 50% of the market. The values run as low as $100,000 to as high as $400,000. I see about 1 in 20-25 homes has piles of wall-to-wall carpet on the curb, it is spring junk week in many towns. A lot of people ripped up wall-to-wall and found the nice maple strip floor. I bought my home in 1999. It had carpet only in the living room, dining room and hallway. I ripped it out in 2000. I did put a 10x14 area rug in my living room. I am a carpet cleaner, yet I don't actually have any carpet.

If you go to post 1975 construction, that is less than 30% of the market, you find low end dumps with wall-to-wall or high end without. I don't think they actually have built much housing for the middle class in this market. I'd say 50% live in pre-1975 construction and as they discover the hidden hardwoods, then get rid of wall-to-wall. I'd say 20% live in rental units. That was a bright spot for a while. I cleaned rental units for a company that owned 2 properties for about a year. Last November, somebody under cut me big time and I lost them. I am bidding on the 400 or so units owned by my city's housing authority. About 1/2 are senior citizen and the other half are the projects. My alderman encouraged me to write a proposal. About 10% live in homes that are post 1975 and worth $500,000-$1,500,000. In all this time, I got into a grand total of one. About 20% of the post 1975 construction is worth $100,000-150,000. Due to NY taxes and utility rates (we pay more for electricity than anyone in the country, about 35-40¢ per kilowatt) the money is really tight for these people. I believe the true middle class has moved away in large numbers. About 5% probably live in mobile homes. A friend's son just paid $40,000 for a 2004 double-wide on a 1/4 acre lot in the sticks. The land was worth $20,000.

You have upper middle class and wealthy who have very different tastes. You have some with imitations of what the wealthy have. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what to do.

I do a fair number of screen and recoats on wood floors. That's something that after you do it, they don't need again for 5-10-15 years, depending on wear factors, did you do 1 coat down and dirty or 3 coats and sealer? Did you use $40 finish, $70 finish or $100 finish? Never been back to a screen and recoat. In a way, that's a good thing, but bad for my wallet.

Do I live in a market so wildly different than others? Seems to me that may be the case. A lot of old construction and very few actually middle class homeowners. I am at a loss for ideas. I have been approved for a $25,000 business loan from my city's economic development agency. It is a 5 year balloon loan. If I am current at the end of 5 years, it becomes a 5-6 year conventional loan. Right now the interest is 3.75%. That's $115 per month. Chump change. The balloon payment is about $22,600 that will go for about for about $415 per month after that. They told me that a loan they just made put another $10,000 on the balloon payment, so this company is paying off a $33,000 loan for the next 5 years. They were also given an $8,000 tax credit because they created two part time jobs for residents of my city. They have gotten several small grants during this time as well. The government has been very generous with them. They are anxious to be generous with me. I know three out of 8 Aldermen and my wife's family has been friends and neighbors with the Mayor and his family since childhood. I just wonder if I am setting myself up for a larger failure, because the truth be told, the last year has been a huge backslide for me.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ya need ta get outta Beverly
the black part a town
is the place ya wanna be............
small homes....all cash..
get out there before you CRASH!
Two little words ya gotta say.......
yes dear
and yor in the hay!

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
If this is such a upscale place then become a upscale cleaner.

Sell yourself as a consultant. Network with high end referral sources.

Clean Stone, Wood, High end upholstery, buy the MicroSeal territory.

A players know other A players find out who they are and network.

What do you look like?
What does your truck look like?
Are your uniforms professional?
What do your sales materials look like?
Are you charging enough?
Do you, your trucks and your equipment look new clean and tidy?

Have you ever been to SFS or read any of HP's articles in clean fax?

Do you have competitors that are already established and look like they should work for high end clients?

Wealthy clients are most times educated, disciplined, well mannered individuals. They have high levels of personal discipline and organization.

Do you look like you deserve a seat at the table with them?

I feel bad you are struggling. Reach out to a few folks on this board privately. You may need some real honest up front in your face coaching. If you find some of the guys that you connect with from their comments your should connect. Richard, Bill, Mike, Joe C and the late Ken Snow all gave me honest feedback privately that helped us build our company. I still call all these guys.

Don't suffer in silence. Posting is not enough.

My best to you.

Becker

Name
Becker
I knew I hot it big with the ratio of single wides to triple wides swung toward the trips.

We've got no room for boring.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Peter if you are thinking about quitting... then you already have.

The first thing you have to change is your attitude, it stinks. You complain constantly, no reason you cant make $100k a year in that market.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I smell hard surface and upholstery dirt and I hear the sound of a muffled portable making money. You don't need a big blower to clean either. These people have money to pay someone to clean, period. Maybe not everything all the time but that's got to be a market where you can clean the worst and make $100+ per hour curb to curb. In this industry we make cleaning hard surface to dam complicated. You don't need 1000+ psi spinners hooked to truck mounts. Those soil loads can be popped off with the same chems, dwell and scrub then squeeged off with a portable. If you want it bad enough you'll learn/develop a system to do it. Upholstery is something EVERY cleaner needs to make friends with and make the same $$ curb to curb. Every home has polluted upholstery.

And, I've been putzing around with the new Sapphire uph tool hooked to no less then my wee MyteeLite portable. Forcing myself to renew a piece of upholstery without my TM. TM could break, might score some uph out of reach of my TM, who knows. Even a dinky vac motor will power the Sapphire to pull off a well messaged prespray and still be able to pull the trigger in areas that need some extra rinsing. I've had the 8" sewn together mitt for a long time. Thing was buried in my van. That thing puts a brush to shame.

Point is there's money in upholstery if you practice it and do it fast. These giant homes you have there stuck in the snow accumulate filth and dirt. Tom Kings advise is sound.

I know my attitude is bad. A lot of people intimidate me and it pisses me off and I avoid them. I seem to gravitate towards chump change jobs and that pisses me off. To be honest, I don't get my market. I should be making $100,000 a year. In 2012 I made $30,000. In 2013, I made $25,000. At the current pace, 2014 could be $25,000 again and that is ridiculous.
As for appearance, I always wear Dickies, khaki pants, navy shirt. I discovered that is WalMart dress code when picking up some Advil a few weeks ago and in like 2 minutes 10 people approached me. I wear a pin on engraved name tag. My physical appearance is poor. I am 6'3", but also 100 lbs overweight. Too many trips to fast food joints after sucking carpet in some crap hole. I just started the process for bariatric surgery. To be "normal" I need to lose 107-116 lbs. I'll settle for 100.
I think I end up in some very dark places mentally when I'm doing something nasty for $15 per hour. That was never my plan. My wife has suggested I get to a counselor of some sort to get me out of this deep depression and on a positive path. She says it has deeply manifested itself in perhaps the last two years, maybe 6 months into starting this business full time. I had more ambition and positive attitude when I moon lighted. I was actually 40 lbs lighter when I started this and the physical work should have made me lighter, not heavier. My original pants were 42's, now I'm tight in 44's. I'm at a fork in the road, people want to help me, but I'm afraid.
I have a pair of dual cord portys, one with heat and I'm actually OK with that. I'm most at peace with myself and the world when I'm pushing my auto scrubber or power washing some nasty public restroom, and that seems strange to me too.

Reactions: JS41035
F

FB7777

Pete,

I am sincerely impressed with your candid , self evaluation.

No easy or sugar coated way to say this, but confidence and attitude goes a loooong way in business.

If you can't find either , then you are screwed.

Fred

Reactions: Russ T.
J

JS41035

Confidence is an amazing thing. You being able to be honest about your situation is fantastic. A lot of people are in the same situation. But they would never admit it. And because of that, they will never change.
Would having nice equipment boost your confidence ? It does for me. A nice Truckmount and van makes you feel good about charging more. If your a good person,you feel bad when your not giving the customer the best. And you won't charge what you should.
But depression is a real thing. So many people deal with it. Either short term or long term. Getting some help from friends, family maybe even a professional is always a good idea. There is ZERO shame in that.
I notice my attitude plummets when I gain weight. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when you think you aren't capable of changing things.
That was probably the most honest post I've read since I've been to the board. Thanks for that.
Give me a call if you ever need to bounce some ideas around. I'll send you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Peter...YOU need to report to the Rubber Room immediately...
you'd fit right in...
heck man....you made me feel better already!

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
quit doin work so cheap i don't tell me thats what ya have to do.Next new customer double your normal rate and see what happens?

Chris A

Name
Chris
I know my attitude is bad. A lot of people intimidate me and it pisses me off and I avoid them. I seem to gravitate towards chump change jobs and that pisses me off. To be honest, I don't get my market. I should be making $100,000 a year. In 2012 I made $30,000. In 2013, I made $25,000. At the current pace, 2014 could be $25,000 again and that is ridiculous.
As for appearance, I always wear Dickies, khaki pants, navy shirt. I discovered that is WalMart dress code when picking up some Advil a few weeks ago and in like 2 minutes 10 people approached me. I wear a pin on engraved name tag. My physical appearance is poor. I am 6'3", but also 100 lbs overweight. Too many trips to fast food joints after sucking carpet in some crap hole. I just started the process for bariatric surgery. To be "normal" I need to lose 107-116 lbs. I'll settle for 100.
I think I end up in some very dark places mentally when I'm doing something nasty for $15 per hour. That was never my plan. My wife has suggested I get to a counselor of some sort to get me out of this deep depression and on a positive path. She says it has deeply manifested itself in perhaps the last two years, maybe 6 months into starting this business full time. I had more ambition and positive attitude when I moon lighted. I was actually 40 lbs lighter when I started this and the physical work should have made me lighter, not heavier. My original pants were 42's, now I'm tight in 44's. I'm at a fork in the road, people want to help me, but I'm afraid.
I have a pair of dual cord portys, one with heat and I'm actually OK with that. I'm most at peace with myself and the world when I'm pushing my auto scrubber or power washing some nasty public restroom, and that seems strange to me too.

Hey Peter, thanks for opening up, I too saw some negativity in some of your posts which is why I have been blunt in my responses. I am no expert but I do live in a depressed market so I know how it feels to look around you and see more challenges than opportunities. I bought an existing business that wasn't doing well and after one year I was ready to pack it up and go build roads. That was seven years ago and I'm sure glad I didn't call it quits. You have to choose the path that's best for you. Chris

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
You have to believe that a customer is making the RIGHT choice in choosing YOU. If you don't believe that, they won't. As I have grown in my craft, I've raised my prices. I don't play the big budget SS or ZeroRez marketing game because I CANT. I have learned that I don't have to. I'm better and a customer would be crazy to hire them over me. I honestly believe that. When you start to believe that, you will make it. If you don't, you won't.

Your honesty in that last post is part of what sets you apart. You have shown a willingness and ability to take an honest and candid look at yourself. That's a GREAT thing. There are a lot of bozos who play superstars online but they will never be great. You can get better if you see room for improvement in yourself. Adapt. You can do it.

The Clean Machine

Able 1

Name
Keith
Getting personal with the custy never hurts either.. Not creepy personal, but shoot the shit a little(and remember everything they tell you, for the next visit):winky:... If you have little ties to NY I would move if I was you..

Name
Damon
If you've been making your bones in commercial, and seem to enjoy it more, than why not pursue it exclusively for the time being? Get a Cimex, start offering janitorial, windows, etc. and make the most of it.

In the meantime work on a residential plan or simply put it on the back burner until you have things sorted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom