Unique coloring throughout

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Looked at an Olefin carpet today and there are pink hues throughout. New owner said it was like that when they moved in. Looks like a color shift. Could a high PH cause that on an Olefin? This color damage is in the hallways but perpendicular to the length so stroke marks don't make any sense. IMG_2279.jpg

I was in my regular car so I didn't have any chems with me. If I get the job, I will try an acid but was curious if anybody has seen this before?

FredC

Village Idiot
Are you positive that it's Olefin?

Did you refer to article 8.9.2 in the Standards before bugging us with this?
You haven't perfected your color loss techniques on olefin yet?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Probably more to do with uv exposure or off gassing of compounds in the carpet or backing. I have had that occur in a condo building I do. Several suites show pink discoloration. I don't think any type of cleaning is responsible or will cure it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It ain't a sofa. How would (and why) fire retardant get on it?

I doubt it is a ph shift, as it would be all over and more uniform and not in sort of "lines" across the room.
Any idea how it was cleaned before?
What's the sub-floor?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Looked at an Olefin carpet today and there are pink hues throughout. New owner said it was like that when they moved in. Looks like a color shift. Could a high PH cause that on an Olefin? This color damage is in the hallways but perpendicular to the length so stroke marks don't make any sense.View attachment 96331

I was in my regular car so I didn't have any chems with me. If I get the job, I will try an acid but was curious if anybody has seen this before?
Someone used a do it your self machine with bleach

Brian H

Name
Brian H
If it's Olefin, most likely it is solution dyed yarns. You might want to test it prior to doing anything though. If they are solution dyed yarns, it gives you several bleaching options.

Name
jack zerkie
Not being able to explain what happened or who did what. I always explain the cleaning will make the carpets cleaner and lighter but can not make the lighter spots darker to match all of the carpeting. jz

Reactions: Rick J and SamIam

steve_64

Where's the bathroom? Probably toilet bowl cleaner or a spot cleaner.
Sometimes but not often enough it will rinse out with just water of its fruit punch or similar product.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Jeff is likely correct, but without being there it's impossible to determine a cause.

BUT,
I see this way too often. Cut pile olefin in an apt.
Most likely OD of optical brightener from resident pouring on the spotter.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A lot of people, including carpet cleaners, treat olefin like it's bullet proof. It's not. Pour some bleach on a sample and see what happens. High pH combined with high heat can affect the dyes, even though it's solution dyed. Customers often spot clean and leave all the chemical behind. It keeps working until it dries and sometimes even after that. It's ok to clean with a high pH as long as you rinse with a more moderate extraction detergent.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Jeff is likely correct, but without being there it's impossible to determine a cause.

Most likely OD of optical brightener from resident pouring on the spotter.
In the past, when I have run across these purplish/pink irredescent discolorations I thought the same thing. But, not way to reallly know since the perp is long gone. !!
tried removing them a few times using red stain remover, and or an oxidizer with heat. Only to see if anything worked. Thinking the optical brighterners are a dye of some kind and could possibly be affected by those processes. NADA!!!

steve_64

I thought the red was what is left after the other colors were stripped out. Not really sure but I have color dyed them back good enough to get paid.

And I really don't see the red well enough in the original post to see the pattern.
I have had customers point them out for me lol. I catch grief often about not seeing it.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
In the past, when I have run across these purplish/pink irredescent discolorations I thought the same thing. But, not way to reallly know since the perp is long gone. !!
tried removing them a few times using red stain remover, and or an oxidizer with heat. Only to see if anything worked. Thinking the optical brighterners are a dye of some kind and could possibly be affected by those processes. NADA!!!
Optical brighteners are almost impossible to remove. As Jimmy said, the proof is using a UV light, since they fluoresce bright purplish-white. A lot of yellow stains you think are urine are actually worn out optical brightener.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom